Thread: Monk Cleric?

Community Member

Default Monk Cleric?

I've seen a few of these builds here and there but never one that doesn't require you to go tome happy right at level 7. Personally I think this type of build has potential but I really don't know how to lay one out that will make me both group viable and solo friendly. I love grouping, don't get me wrong, but some time's there is no one around to group with.

So, basically I'm looking for a build that's a fighting/healing build. Decent back up heals w/ decent heals. I have all races unlocked and my build is 32pt. Hope that helps, thanks.

Community Member

Sounds like a bard, to be honest, if you want to be "backup heals" and be able to melee well too. Cleric icon usually means you'll be expected to shoulder that job if necessary, not back up someone else doing it. To most people, anyway.

That's not to say that cleric/monk doesn't work! Just don't expect groups to look around for a second person to do the healing needed, unless they wanted two people who could do it for some reason. Maybe I'm taking the "back up" phrase the wrong way. Anyway.

I've been following this guide for one of my warchanters (good guide writer, really).
    http://forums.ddo.com/showthread.php?t=249865

Back to monk/cleric... sorry, I don't know how to make one, other than splashing 2 monk for feats and evasion. One idea I see is 17 Cleric / 1 Fighter / 2 Monk, giving you ninth level spells, three extra feats, evasion, wisdom bonus to AC, and all martial proficiencies.

Be aware that your evasion doesn't kick in without a successful save, obviously, so you'll need to pay some care to Dexterity to get use of it (6 ability points maybe) as well as Strength for attack and damage. You spread ability points over four things instead of just two as a cleric (Wis/Con) or three as a cleric/fighter splash (Dex less valuable but Strength needed). The reason they are going tome-happy may be just because of that; builds that require more spread of abilities benefit even more from those tomes.

Maybe a Cleric/Fighter would make you happy, or a Bard, I don't know, just throwing that out there. Maybe someone else can suggest a solid Cleric/Monk build for you too.

Many cleric/monk builds aim to be able to do "everything".

Thats a great choice, but difficult for new players.

Here is a simpler version that can do a bit less but is still great fun, it mainly focusses on melee, healing and damage spells:

Chaotic Neutral Half Orc (32pt, no tomes)

Cleric 17 / Monk 2 / Fighter 1

20 strength - all levelups
    8 dex
    14 con
    6 int - concentration maxed (1 to tumble, remaining jump or balance, if any leftover spot)
    14 wisdom
    10 charisma

Level layout:
    #1 Fighter (Power Attack)
    #2 Monk (Toughness)
    #3 Cleric (Extend)
    #4 Cleric
    #5 Cleric
    #6 Cleric (Empower Healing)
    #7 Cleric
    #8 Cleric (Radiant Servant I)
    #9 Monk (TwoHandedFighting (THF)) (Maximize)
    #10 Cleric
    #11 Cleric
    #12 Cleric (Quicken)
    #13 Cleric
    #14 Cleric
    #15 Cleric (ITHF) (Radiant Servant II)
    #16 Cleric
    #17 Cleric
    #18 Cleric (GTHF) (Alternative: Improved Crit)
    #19 Cleric
    #20 Cleric

Suggested leveling choice: Grab a TwoHanded Weapon and smash things

Another possibility would be to drop extend and get both GTHF and ICrit - just put the monk level at 3.
    Last edited by Anneliese; 07-17-2011 at 06:52 AM.
    Devourer: Anneliese, 20 Drow Sorc