Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Timezones

Default Timezones

I'm fairly sure when I first joined Khyber it was dubbed 'Aussie' friendly - this was a while ago and my memory is shocking however. To the point.. post times in UTC (GMT) already.. not everyone is from America and knows your weird time zone notations!

Thanks for ignoring me.

- Fontora

They do.
    Whenever something is posted with a time attached, it is usually done with an adjustment, like this:
    Quote Originally Posted by Thoon View Post
    Later today, around 2pm (GMT -400) Lamannia will be once again open to the public.
    GMT -4
    Math is hard.

Was aimed at players, not Turbine!

Not everyone knows gmt either...sorry. don't mean to be rude, but it confuses the heck out of me. I could learn gmt as easy as you could learn what pst(Pacific Standard Time, and what I have seen most posted raids in) is and add or subtract for where you live. I'm pretty sure you have to do that with gmt anyhow to figure out what time that is where you live right? So if you knew that 1am pst was 4pm for you..

Or...there should be some sort of online thing that will convert the time (which is what I would be searching for if people started posting in gmt)

And as an aside, it isn't only Americans that use weird time zones you mention, Canada uses them as well
    ~Cari, Pikearella, Sheezza, and a bunch of other toons that kinda get ignored ~
    Piking Princess & killer of Avacado (in all forms)
    <3 Making Grevins dungeon grinds entertaining for the last 5 years <3

Community Member

GMT -5
    I live in the United States,
    and Most of my guildies are European

[Insert U Mad Bro?.jpg]

UTC = Coordinated Universal Time (key word universal)
    PST = Pacific Standard time (key word Pacific .. America)

Probably just ranting, but it irks me. I mean the European services are merged over to Turbine, DDO is in three languages now.. how about about some kindness from the players towards those outside the New World?

/fail

If you want to come to US events, learn US time. If I ever want to go to Aussie events, I'll learn GMT.
    "And you ate an apple, and I ate a pear,
    From a dozen of each we had bought somewhere;
    And the sky went wan, and the wind came cold,
    And the sun rose dripping, a bucketful of gold. " - Millay

Quote Originally Posted by Schmoe View Post
    If you want to come to US events, learn US time. If I ever want to go to Aussie events, I'll learn GMT.
    Australia has it's own local time zones AWST, ACST, AEST however I'd be surprised if they would ever used in this context without an associated GMT/UTC.. I think they call it being courteous - don't quote me on that.

Server: Cannith
    Mains: Miahoo, Miahoorog, Miahoohealer, Miahoohjeal, Miahoopuke

Quote Originally Posted by Fontora View Post
    UTC = Coordinated Universal Time (key word universal)
    PST = Pacific Standard time (key word Pacific .. America)

Probably just ranting, but it irks me. I mean the European services are merged over to Turbine, DDO is in three languages now.. how about about some kindness from the players towards those outside the New World?

So it's kindness for them to learn GMT, but not kindness for you to learn EST/PST?

The US is divided into 4 timezones. They range from -5gmt to -8 gmt (daylight savings time changes this to -4 gmt to -7 gmt)

I've had to learn conversions because my guild in mostly aus/east asia. The majority seem to be ~15 hours ahead of me. I'm in MST. So I learned math.

Generally, the timezones are listed as:
    EST - (-4/-5 GMT)
    CST - (-5/6 GMT)
    MST - (-6/7 GMT)
    PST - (-7/-8 GMT)

The US is currently observing Daylight Savings Time (except for Arizona, because they think they are special ), so the timezones are currently in their closer notation until October.

Given this info, I'm sure anyone around the world can figure out what time certain events are scheduled if they know their own UST code.
    Smrti on Khyber

Quote Originally Posted by Blank_Zero View Post
    The US is divided into 4 timezones. They range from -5gmt to -8 gmt (daylight savings time changes this to -4 gmt to -7 gmt)

I've had to learn conversions because my guild in mostly aus/east asia. The majority seem to be ~15 hours ahead of me. I'm in MST. So I learned math.

Generally, the timezones are listed as:
    EST - (-4/-5 GMT)
    CST - (-5/6 GMT)
    MST - (-6/7 GMT)
    PST - (-7/-8 GMT)

The US is currently observing Daylight Savings Time (except for Arizona, because they think they are special ), so the timezones are currently in their closer notation until October.

Given this info, I'm sure anyone around the world can figure out what time certain events are scheduled if they know their own UST code.
    Hawaii also feels they are special. Parts of Indiana used to feel the same way, but that has changed.

Saskatchewan doesn't use daylight savings either...and if I recall correctly, some of northern BC stays on Alberta time...oh and Newfoundland is half an hour out of a time zone or somthin like that

and will take a wee bit of exception to the definition of PST by the OP...l live pretty darn close to the ocean and am most definitely not American Would be like lumping Aussies in with Kiwi's no?

Quote Originally Posted by Aurora_nyx View Post
    Would be like lumping Aussies in with Kiwi's no?
    that's pretty accurate.

You surprised me there dear.
    Smrti on Khyber

Quote Originally Posted by Aurora_nyx View Post
    Would be like lumping Aussies in with Kiwi's no?
    I thought Australia was just a suburb of New Zealand :P

Quote Originally Posted by Blank_Zero View Post
    that's pretty accurate.

You surprised me there dear.
    I have these moments when I even surprise myself. Thankfully they are few and far between...the world could not handle more of them

Learn UTC it is the new international standard and Australia does recognise it since it is used in computing and the army.

Now if everyone can learn that :P it would solve a lot of bother.
    "(Party): [Party] Mislabeled: you were killed by Qrazydirections"

Quote Originally Posted by SiliconShadow View Post
    Learn UTC it is the new international standard and Australia does recognise it since it is used in computing and the army.

Now if everyone can learn that :P it would solve a lot of bother.
    Agreed. If you do any work with timezones in coding you will be familiar with a lot of mental pain and anguish. And for the North American players commenting here, EST is actually a timezone in Australia too, sometimes changed to AEST but still used in Australia.

As others have stated too, timezones are quite irregular in their use and longevity, so UTC is not a bad way to go

UTC (GMT basically) is much easier to learn than timezones in an international context. In a national context for countries with multiple different ones, timezones are simpler. So for the OP it depends on who the players are likely playing with. As Smrti said, he plays a lot with us in the east asian/oceania timezones, so we use UTC to put up times for stuff, as it is easier. Players who mostly play with fellow North Americans are likely to just use timezones, as they are all that is needed. I don't use UTC when I think about the other timezones in Australia, but I can easily work out other countries times using it.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast