Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Hmm - this is an issue - it seems that if you die in the Nurse Ratchet fight, neither you nor your soulstone will be teleported out of the room. As the room is then locked, your companions cannot reach you. There is obviously no shrine in reach.
    This basically means that if you die in the Nurse Ratchet fight, you win the quest but cannot loot the chest (can't exit and re-enter as the quest is finished at that point unless you held off speaking to Durk as a safety net).
    This is based on hireling observations - haven't tried this in a group.

Never mind - hirelings aren't healed, but players are. Sorry about the panic.

Community Member

Horrid.

Sorry, but simply horrid.

Does anyone actually enjoy this kind of thing? Sitting there for 45 minutes getting mad at a puzzle?

Quote Originally Posted by inggold View Post
    Horrid.

Sorry, but simply horrid.

Does anyone actually enjoy this kind of thing? Sitting there for 45 minutes getting mad at a puzzle?
    I sure don't, I can't solve those puzzles I don't have memory for it. Tried for 15 minutes before i gave up because I solved ne side of it but not the other, this is not a good trend in quest design.

Quote Originally Posted by Battery View Post
    I sure don't, I can't solve those puzzles I don't have memory for it. Tried for 15 minutes before i gave up because I solved ne side of it but not the other, this is not a good trend in quest design.
    Sad.

The puzzle is entirely optional, the fact you never bothered to explore around to figure out that fact shows something..

It's a great design because the puzzle is there for people that like puzzles, and for those that dont, you can skip it.

Theres actaully a bonus chest for doing the optional that lets you skip the puzzle even.

Puzzle can be skipped by killing the beholders. If you can't stand the puzzle, try grouping with someone who can do it for you - once you know it, it can be solved in a minute or so.

Quote Originally Posted by FlimsyFirewood View Post
    What exactly are you having a problem with?

The puzzle, its unsolvable in some situations. Random for dual tile spinning puzzles = bad ontop of psycho vision, great effects, killer on the eyes though. Oh well always update 11 to look forward to.
    Veriden, Orien server: Lost count of lives. 3 of all base classes, 3 halfling, 2 gnome...working on trying to make the game work again. May or may not return.

Part of the overall "Puzzle" of the Sane Asylum quest is realizing that killing the various entities; Nightmare, Daydream, and Reality alter one's vision in a specific manner. These "altered states", if you forgive the phrase, allow you to "See" and move through walls and floors and areas that one could not see or use while under normal vision, or any of the other two visions. Killing them or not killing them is part of how one access the actual tile puzzle in the first place, killing them or not is also how one will find their way to either of the two beholders one must slay to avoid the puzzle entirely. The visions aren't difficult to get a handle on, but I'd say the tile puzzle and its XP pay off are worth the effort. I've run it dozens of times on both the test server and live and have only been unable to resolve it once, and that was the direct result of a bug that has definitely been fixed.

The tile puzzle requires both "Eyes" to supply the power to the symbols. If you're short one of the two Eyes, it can't be solved. The "Eyes" of the puzzle directly correspond to those optional beholders, if you kill one, you lose an Eye for the puzzle, and it can't be solved. That is WAI; kill any one of the beholders, then you can't do the puzzle.
    Last edited by Rizzyn; 06-27-2011 at 10:57 AM.

Default Visuals cause HUGE eye strain.

I just made an attempt, on casual difficulty, to complete this quest. I spent about 30 to 40 minutes in there, and the visuals gave me such a migraine, I could no longer continue to proceed.

I really feel sorry for any colorblind players that attempt this quest, as they will not be able to see everything they would NEED to see with all the obscurities, the varying shades of grey will blend together on them and cause some problems.

I do think the quest could be a GREAT quest, but I will never know I guess, the way the screen wavers and floats and the puzzle tiles being so incorporeal so as not to be able to tell them apart from their surroundings caused me personally a HUGE amount of visual distress, coupled with the wavering screen effects from being in the dream, it was quite the visual sensory overload for me.

Really sucks too, I just picked up the adventure pack tonight, and regret it since now I know I will be unable PHYSICALLY to ever complete this quest, and thus, I will never be able to complete the quest chain as a whole.

Edit: So I did just complete this quest, I just did NOT Attempt the puzzle, not no way, not no how. The shroud around the edge of the screen is not bad at all, but the constant fluxuations IN the screen are what hurt the eyes while in the nightmare. Stay out of the other dream...reality...whatever, and do not attempt the puzzle and it is visually bearable.

And as to this being the wrong forum, when you google "ddo sane asylum" this is the link you get for feedback on this quest, so I am using it, I assume that the mods/devs will see the new hit and be curious to say the least when this forum is pulled out of it's grave and back to the top of the list, I would hope they would look just to see what idiot is posting in here.

That idiot would be me.
    Last edited by puget; 07-15-2011 at 12:35 PM.

This quest is just awesome. Excellent design.
    Quote Originally Posted by havokiano View Post
    you are boring. And you rosik a lot. bye.
    Quote Originally Posted by suitepotato View Post
    With the amount of facepalming we do, it's a wonder DDO players have any noses left.

Quote Originally Posted by puget View Post
    I just made an attempt, on casual difficulty, to complete this quest. I spent about 30 to 40 minutes in there, and the visuals gave me such a migraine, I could no longer continue to proceed.

I really feel sorry for any colorblind players that attempt this quest, as they will not be able to see everything they would NEED to see with all the obscurities, the varying shades of grey will blend together on them and cause some problems.

I do think the quest could be a GREAT quest, but I will never know I guess, the way the screen wavers and floats and the puzzle tiles being so incorporeal so as not to be able to tell them apart from their surroundings caused me personally a HUGE amount of visual distress, coupled with the wavering screen effects from being in the dream, it was quite the visual sensory overload for me.

Really sucks too, I just picked up the adventure pack tonight, and regret it since now I know I will be unable PHYSICALLY to ever complete this quest, and thus, I will never be able to complete the quest chain as a whole.
    Quote Originally Posted by Mister_Peace View Post
    Ummm bros...

This is the feedback thread for the Lammania forums. Like, before it was live.

If you want to talk about the quest and it's current game implementation, I suggest this forum hya!

Quote Originally Posted by TheDearLeader View Post
    Ummm bros...

This is the feedback thread for the Lammania forums. Like, before it was live.

If you want to talk about the quest and it's current game implementation, I suggest this forum hya!

This is the link for feedback on this quest you get when you google it, and I would hope they see this at the top of the forum list again, and look to see what idiot is posting in here. They have not locked the thread, so until then, It is where the attention will go......and the idiot posting in this thread after it is live would be me.

I am a bit surprised that nothing was done with the graphics on this quest before it DID go live to mitigate the physical pain that it causes to peoples heads from the visuals, as several people said it was giving them headaches.

I am the idiot that brings this thread back from the dead.

Quote Originally Posted by arkonas View Post
    i have yet to figure out how to get to that 3rd tunnel ive tried everything i can think of. any solutions?

If you waith on the SE tunnel until last, its dosent always appear, we hit it first every time and it works, leave it till the last tunnel and 2 of my 3 runs it wouldn't open
    Wait, can you hear it? Is it? The worlds smallest vio..nah... nevermind... it can't be, its too small..

Community Member

I tried this quest on live, I didn't even find the puzzle (I will admit I didn't look really hard for it), but the end boss made it so I could not complete it on my rogue. Hirelings wouldn't stay alive down there and I could not put out enough DPS to kill her, especially while trying to keep my hireling alive.

If I was to make a 'tweak' to the quest it would be to make her 'special attack' fire a bit less often when there is only one player in the quest (also on the Chaos Beholder at the end of Missing, I was doing that one last night on my Wizard and was having trouble even getting an arcane bolt off in between eye-beams, but at least I beat that one after 3 re-entries).

Quote Originally Posted by MajMalphunktion View Post
    *Handwraps. Yes we know. Here is my known issue for handwraps. Hand wraps in assorted flavors are borked.

Quote Originally Posted by MrkGrismer View Post
    I tried this quest on live, I didn't even find the puzzle (I will admit I didn't look really hard for it), but the end boss made it so I could not complete it on my rogue. Hirelings wouldn't stay alive down there and I could not put out enough DPS to kill her, especially while trying to keep my hireling alive....
    Hireling thing aside (I really hate babysitting them so much), my AA is a wuss, too, insofar as DPS and HP are concerned; but I found that getting behind one of those two pillars makes her special attack no threat (it doesn't wrap around corners). Hope this helps, as this chain really has become one of my favorites.

Community Member

Quote Originally Posted by fco-karatekid View Post
    Hireling thing aside (I really hate babysitting them so much), my AA is a wuss, too, insofar as DPS and HP are concerned; but I found that getting behind one of those two pillars makes her special attack no threat (it doesn't wrap around corners). Hope this helps, as this chain really has become one of my favorites.
    Yeah, I noticed, but she teleports. I will try it again some time. I switched to my wizard for a little while.

Quote Originally Posted by MajMalphunktion View Post
    *Handwraps. Yes we know. Here is my known issue for handwraps. Hand wraps in assorted flavors are borked.

Quote Originally Posted by Mister_Peace View Post
    Absolutely. When I ran it the first time, I went solo and explored the dungeon for 45 minutes to understand the effects of Daydream, Nightmare and Reality and how to reset the visions, after that it's one of the best puzzle-quests (if wanted) in the game. My only gripe is the endboss, casters with dots have a huge advantage there, I'd like to see a more dangerous mechanic for ranged as well.

Loved it.

Best way to experience this quest, play it solo with the lights out and no one home. Sent chills up my spine.

This along with Partycrashers is one of the better quests in DDO, 'better' being defined as a quest where there's something a bit more than simple hack-n-slash, travel to X location, or find item X.

Great job guys.

Community Member

Default Trapped in a room

So i was doing Sane Asylum as my pally with my Wiz friend. We found the secret passage to the rest alter rested, looted the chest and walked out. Then later i went back in and could not get back out because a wall appeared where there wasn't one before trapping me in the area by the rest alter secret passage. I thought it was part of the quest but then my friend couldn't figure out how to free me so i then assumed it was a bug.

Any explanation for this?

Quote Originally Posted by Gargahrensis View Post
    So i was doing Sane Asylum as my pally with my Wiz friend. We found the secret passage to the rest alter rested, looted the chest and walked out. Then later i went back in and could not get back out because a wall appeared where there wasn't one before trapping me in the area by the rest alter secret passage. I thought it was part of the quest but then my friend couldn't figure out how to free me so i then assumed it was a bug.

Any explanation for this?
    Yes. He got out and probably killed one of the 3 named mobs that alter your vision state, thus trapping you at the altar. What he needed to do was go kill one or both of the others to toggle the visual state back in such a way that you could once again exit. Not a bug, just a challenge for someone who hasn't experienced it.

Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast