Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Vorpal strike

Community Member

Default Vorpal strike

I have a lvl 19 17/2 rogue fighter that I have built as a DPS/trap monkey. I have been taking the Assasin prestige line but have been buffing trap skills a much as possible as well (with a +2 int tome I will have a 52 disable unbuffed at lvl 20)

When I lvl to 20 I'm planning on taking assasin III prestige enhancement. my question is this. Since it is passive, and always on basically any weapon you wield becomes a vorpal correct. So in quests like Let sleeping dust lie when you don't want to accidentally kill mobs (spiders) how do you keep from vorping. Normally you would just put your vorpal weapon a way but....any weapon I have is a vorpal....?

if it helps I'm a dwarf dual weilding dwarven axes.

I usually just wield one weapon in there and swing very carefully (no autoattack or holding the attack button).

One odd offhand swing after killing an ogre might vorpal one of the spiders, so better play save.

Community Member

so my current method of going to one axe and a shield for the off hand will help cut down on the vorpal chance.

good to know.

any other suggestions?

Quote Originally Posted by brinclhof View Post
    so my current method of going to one axe and a shield for the off hand will help cut down on the vorpal chance.

good to know.

any other suggestions?
    Except DAxe and Shield will cause glancing blows. Drop down to a regular weapon or try finding a returning weapon or bow of precision... the ogres are low hp anyway, so they're easily killed.

good to know.

any other suggestions?
    Even with that you will be accidentally killing spiders. I tell ya those spiders are suicidal and will leap right on to your weapons the first chance they get.

I found that the best way to run Sleeping Dust with an assassin was to put on some fearsome armor and only use a returing throwing dagger of precision when the spiders are near. The 'precision' allows it to pass through spiders without harming them and you will still be able to get your vorpals and sneak attacks on the Ogres. Just be carefull when the Orge drops as you usually get one last shot off with the dagger whether you want it or not, so just turn towards a wall as soon as your target is gone.

You can also get bows of precision but I prefer the returning dagger so I don't have to worry about ammo.

Community Member

My method of dealing with Dust:

1) Sword and board
    2) Sneak, let tanks grab spider aggro
    3) Sneak past spiders, target ogres
    4) Assassinate!

AFAIK you don't do glancing blows from sneak mode, so even if there are any spiders around (which shouldn't be the case, as the ogres tend to chill in the back), you probably won't kill any of them.

After accidentally double-assassinating two spiders in there, I will not use assassinate in there again, except in the fights where spiders are not around.

I sometimes don't even swing in there if a spider is around. Let the casters FOD, and Destruct your way to victory.
    Khyber:Greenberry, Jemric, Qashta, Leuk, Thurradal + many others

Community Member

I have a lvl 19 17/2 rogue fighter that I have built as a DPS/trap monkey. I have been taking the Assasin prestige line but have been buffing trap skills a much as possible as well (with a +2 int tome I will have a 52 disable unbuffed at lvl 20)

When I lvl to 20 I'm planning on taking assasin III prestige enhancement. my question is this. Since it is passive, and always on basically any weapon you wield becomes a vorpal correct. So in quests like Let sleeping dust lie when you don't want to accidentally kill mobs (spiders) how do you keep from vorping. Normally you would just put your vorpal weapon a way but....any weapon I have is a vorpal....?

if it helps I'm a dwarf dual weilding dwarven axes.
    For that quest I just pull out a bow and take a few potshots at the ogres ... that quest is all casters and FOD anyway ...

I'm not sure if someone has tested this but: Try using a blunt/pierce weapon.

Only slashing has the vorpal effect so a blunt weapon should technically disable the effect.

Many rogues say that the on hit (III) 20 isn't working. I'm wondering if they are using piercing (rapiers)?

If someone would kindly test this and post the findings here it would be awesome.

Smile

Exactly what I was about to suggest. Hopefully the mechanics are such that blunt weapons cannot be vorpal. Some blunt weapons are finessable as well, including light maces and clubs.. which you'll be able to use.

The Hatchery

Quote Originally Posted by RudeIota View Post
    Exactly what I was about to suggest. Hopefully the mechanics are such that blunt weapons cannot be vorpal. Some blunt weapons are finessable as well, including light maces and clubs.. which you'll be able to use.
    You can vorpal with anything. Even scrolls, and unarmed.

In there, I use a ranged weapon with the Precise enchantment on it. Almost 0 chance of hitting a spider.

Weapon type won't make any difference. The Assassin III teir allows any weapon to act as a Vorpal once you are getting your Sneak attack in
    Leader of Shrodingers Cat Support Group a Husband and Wife guild on Orien.
    Tolkiens Law: Do not meddle in the affairs of wizards, for they are subtle and quick to anger.
    Dresdens corollary:
    Screw subtle!

Default Bow

I use a paralyzing bow and target the ogres. If I accidentally hit a spider it usually doesn't kill it (cause range sucks lol) and it stops the spiders (well they do still slide around a bit).

I know you can assassinate (II or III) with rapiers, short swords and daggers. These are all piercing weapons. I believe I have assassinated with quarterstaves as well. So switching to a non slashing weapon won't work.

Community Member

Quote Originally Posted by Syllph View Post
    I'm not sure if someone has tested this but: Try using a blunt/pierce weapon.

Only slashing has the vorpal effect so a blunt weapon should technically disable the effect.

Many rogues say that the on hit (III) 20 isn't working. I'm wondering if they are using piercing (rapiers)?

If someone would kindly test this and post the findings here it would be awesome.
    Only slashing weapons have the Vorpal prefix, but the Assassin III vorpal effect can apply to any melee attack regardless of weapon type.

You can lop off an orthon's head with a candy cane.

The Hatchery

Quote Originally Posted by suszterpatt View Post
    Only slashing weapons have the Vorpal prefix, but the Assassin III vorpal effect can apply to any melee attack regardless of weapon type.
    And any ranged attack.

Quote Originally Posted by suszterpatt View Post

You can lop off an orthon's head with a candy cane.
    please fraps this it would be great laughs

Quote Originally Posted by Syllph View Post
    Many rogues say that the on hit (III) 20 isn't working..
    The vorpal seems to be working.

The broken part may be WAI (I don't know) -- the 100 untyped damage, is actually typed damage. It appears that it is being added to our base damage number, instead of out to the side.

I have yet to see the extra damage anywhere in my damage log: not in the base, not to the side, not with a fox, not in a box. :P

I'm running 'n+n+n' format for floaties, and checking my damage log for 20s ... just ain't seein' it at all, on anything.

Plenty of lightning strikes from my Charged Gauntlets, tho ... and before it even starts, I wear my eSpectrals quite a bit, too. Should be noticing the damage *somewhere*.

I mean, I can immediately see just from my damage numbers when I've got Sneak of Shadows up ... +100 in any of the 'n+n+n's should scream out to me.

Edit of edit of edit:

Combat log (minimum buffage/gearage/no PA/no charged gauntlets/no seeker/etc; epic Small Problem; puppies n' kitties):

vorpal with cc scimmies over 1000hp:

no vorp damage w/ rads on a 20 over 1000hp

vorpal strike w/ rads under 1000hp

And, yeah, another bug report filed.
    Last edited by SableShadow; 06-02-2011 at 05:24 PM.
    Brenna, Tzanna, and Tzinna Wavekin
    The Dancing Rogues of Argonnessen
    Ascent

Quote Originally Posted by SableShadow View Post
    I have yet to see the extra damage anywhere in my damage log: not in the base, not to the side, not with a fox, not in a box. :P

I'm running 'n+n+n' format for floaties, and checking my damage log for 20s ... just ain't seein' it at all, on anything.

Yes, I am not seeing it in the combat log at all.

But since u9, I have seen very strange floaty numbers, that are not reflected in my combat log.

Quote Originally Posted by Rydin_Dirtay View Post
    Yes, I am not seeing it in the combat log at all.
    Ok.

Quote Originally Posted by Rydin_Dirtay View Post
    But since u9, I have seen very strange floaty numbers, that are not reflected in my combat log.
    My logic on combat logs:

1) Vorpal weapon's insta-kill shows in the combat log.
    2) Vorpal weapon's damage shows in the combat log.
    3) Vorpal Strike insta-kill shows in the combat log.
    4) Vorpal Strike damage should show in the combat log.

My logic on floaty numbers:

1) Many people have floaty numbers, and are reporting not seeing the damage (I am one of these).
    2) Those few people who have floaty numbers, and think they're seeing it have, thus far, been convinced otherwise when people sat down and ran the math with them. This usually requires a ss and build/buff information.

Edit:
    On observations: It is quite common for people to look at things when they're interested (e.g. after the accident, one goes through and finds a whole lotta bumps and dings, many of which were probably already there but one never bothered to look). U9 made significant changes in how melee damage works, so now lots of people are looking and finding things that were always there, but are now just noticing them. It's why, when you ask someone about their average DPS, they give you a crit number. It's just human nature.
    Last edited by SableShadow; 06-02-2011 at 06:08 PM.
    Brenna, Tzanna, and Tzinna Wavekin
    The Dancing Rogues of Argonnessen
    Ascent

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast