Community Member Deissa_Ironhand's Avatar

Default How I wish I could bring my pnp character to DDO...

Ok...I know everybody has at one time played 1st ed,2nd ed,3.0,3.5 and of course 4.0...I know many would love to bring a favorite characer into ddo..just for grins and giggles...that would be freakin awsome...for a little while..just on a weekend...just like in real life...a weekend or saturday night session...

I know I would. The problem is my favorite is a Druid with psionics.

Woopsey!

I guess that won't be an in-game feature any time soon, huh?

*sigh*

Snip
    Guilds -- Officer: Umber Hulks, Member: Knights of the Silver Dragon (KotSD)
    Characters: Nalinor (Human Rogue lvl 20), Cargonar (Dwarven Fighter lvl 11), Atlanon (Dwarven Fighter 11/Barb. 2). Beltakorr (Human Barb. 18/Fighter 2), Fleabite (Halfling Wiz. lvl 9), Skirahzalon (Drow Bard lvl 8).

Oh, yes. I do wish that. Many, many years ago when I still played PnP, my favorite character was an Anti-Paladin. We played a mish-mash of D&D 1.0, AG, Dragon Mag stuff and some house rules but he'd still cross over without too much trouble. Man, Lawful Evil is fun to play. Too bad DDO decided to leave out the darker nature of humanity. Oh well.

I think my favorite character, as far as mechanics, was my Eladrin Fighter|Swordmage/Rogue. Teleported several times a round, attacked with self-generated combat advantage several times a round, with crazy high defenses and a full suite of Defender abilities. A lot of fun to play, but ultimately kind of ridiculously overpowered. Some errata took it out back a while ago, but the campaign he was in had already ended.

Not sure how any of that build could really apply to DDO (especially the teleporting part), but it was certainly fun.
    Last edited by dkyle; 05-25-2011 at 02:02 PM.

Wink

AD&D?

Hell, I want to bring my toon from BASIC D&D.......that's right......halfling, elf, dwarf.....were CLASSES! That's kickin it old school! lol

My main character, not really. He had a greatsword that made the esos look like a paint stirrer.

My 'other' character, sure, been trying.

Few others fit perfectly as they were level 4.
    Aeolwind (5/12) - 18 Sorc/1 Art | Melisandria - 20 Fighter SD | Anlona - 20 cleric RS

Community Member Talon_Moonshadow's Avatar

Sadly, many PnP chars do not translate well into DDO.

But I like DDO better actually. And have made chars I really like here.

(if only we had Druids. )
    I gave up a life of farming to become an Adventurer.

Quote Originally Posted by Jandric View Post
    ..., but I honestly think the solution is to group with less whiny people.

Community Member

The "Paladins can't own more than 5 Magic Items" rule, would make my character super gimp.

Now of course, I am driven to develop the very best 5-Item equipment list I can conceive (Paladin Oriented of Course).

Greensteel Items as well as anything with "False Life" are excluded (as they are evil in origin).

I tried with my very first character. It is sitting as a 12th level bank toon.

Conversely, has anyone played a character/build on DDO that they have then transferred over to PnP?

Started a campaign a few weeks ago and was going to try a dwarven ranger/fighter TWFing with Daxes (but ended up having to play a wizard).

Quote Originally Posted by somenewnoob View Post
    AD&D?

Hell, I want to bring my toon from BASIC D&D.......that's right......halfling, elf, dwarf.....were CLASSES! That's kickin it old school! lol
    Oh yeah...I was there those days....****...When assassin was an actual class...yeah...The noobs need to experience that at least once in their lifetimes..it was very cool....

AD&D?

Quote Originally Posted by Waylayer View Post
    The "Paladins can't own more than 5 Magic Items" rule, would make my character super gimp.

Now of course, I am driven to develop the very best 5-Item equipment list I can conceive (Paladin Oriented of Course).

Greensteel Items as well as anything with "False Life" are excluded (as they are evil in origin).

I have run one particular session with some old friends from way back, all their characters are epic level now...but i was there on day one...from initial generation, in-between, and now whenever we meet like once or twice a year we pull out the dice from the darkness as well as the character sheets/files. We started these characters when we were like 15 and 16 years old. The guys and I get a kick out of reading old notes scribbled on character sheets, coffee stains,pizza grease stains, etc. Then we spent one saturday converting all the characters to 3.0 then later on 3.5. It was most enjoyable....Now the characters are epic level and freakin awsome....28 years of gaming with these best buds...Whats even funnier is watching the wives puzzled looks....yeah, welcome to my twilight zone episode.. a doctor, a retired air force Lt.Col, a cpa, a business owner(restaurant), high school teacher and a history teacher....we have come a long way..but the characters never changed...thats what i find funny...But my immortals aside...I have had so many different groups and settings through the years...all very memorable..but to me 3.5 is what DnD should always have been.....

Community Member hityawithastick's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Barthax View Post
    Conversely, has anyone played a character/build on DDO that they have then transferred over to PnP?
    I tried but my DM said I couldn't be a lich because it would be "insanely overpowered."
    Quote Originally Posted by Chai View Post
    Dragons cant be vorped.
    Wait! Where are you going? Come back here and die for my fleeting tactical advantage!
    Quote Originally Posted by jcTharin View Post
    Hityawithastick, the super-naked dragon-slayer.

AD&D?

Old school? Hell, I just bought an old Red Box set off of E-Bay for my son. Need to New School to appreciate it too.
    ... a soldier,
    Full of strange oaths, and bearded like the pard,
    Jealous in honor, sudden and quick in quarrel,
    Seeking the bubble reputation,
    Even in the dragon's mouth.

Quote Originally Posted by Nysrock View Post
    Old school? Hell, I just bought an old Red Box set off of E-Bay for my son. Need to New School to appreciate it too.
    My friends kids get a kick out of it when their dads go to a gaming session...two of the kids are regular gamers in their own groups...the call us a bunch of "old school nerds"...that being said we played a 1st ed session with them involved and one got mouthy...so one of the dads...killed his pc dead...The old assassin (1st ed)had had the chance of killing an opponent instantly if you made the percentage roll on the initial backstab or if the victim was surprised....yeah,....surprised...there went the fighter of nearly 90 hp...one blow...with a plain old knife dmg 1-2hp..the assassin could not find a fork...priceless...

My main and only character is a dark evil lovely woman who I was playing during the early´s 90 in the Greyhawk setting, 2000 in Ravenloft setting and Forgotten Realms as well. I have yet this character, it was a Sorcerer Ranger, and I made her from 2008 here in DDO, to be honest I tried other characters and races but at the end I always play with the same, A cool bio, dark personalitie, red hair, I love it,...
    Last edited by amylee4000; 08-11-2011 at 07:52 PM.

Community Member

I must be the only guy who actually could bring his character back. Half-orc cleric for me.