Default Epic Short-blade

has anyone testedt to see if it's double-strike stacks with Tempest III?

If so . . . will you get more DPS our of a Lightning II Rapier and a Short-blade in the off-hand or two Lighting II rapiers?

I remember a thread saying litII and smallblade beats 2 litII's. Hopefully someone will link the thread
    Jesus saves. Everyone else rounds to nearest 5%.

Sarlona: Nafaka[Rogue] Nandu[Monk] Neotheny[Wizard]
    Bullet Fist Tony My rogue's build

Community Member AylinIsAwesome's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by destiny4405 View Post
    I remember a thread saying litII and smallblade beats 2 litII's. Hopefully someone will link the thread
    I remember that thread... I believe it was about Rogues though, which get 80% offhand instead of 100%, and get a ton of their damage from Sneak Attacks, which would be benefited by the +6% doublestrike significantly.

Quote Originally Posted by AylinIsAwesome View Post
    I remember that thread... I believe it was about Rogues though, which get 80% offhand instead of 100%, and get a ton of their damage from Sneak Attacks, which would be benefited by the +6% doublestrike significantly.
    Yup, with 80% off-hand they benefit less from a lightning II in the off-hand than the Tempest III would.

****, so nobody tested the double-strike? I was so hoping I wouldn't have to hit that friggin dummy 1000 times . . .

I've never had a Tempest so I can't test for you but I've done, literally thousands of tests with the Smallblade on Dresek. My goal was to test whether or not the smallblade's doublestrike stacks with the rogue's opportunist feat. (3% chance to doublestrike). Unfortunately, the results were disappointing.

In over 4000 attacks on the dummy, I got a doublestrike 5.3% of the time. With perfect stacking, I should be getting 9%. It doesn't appear to be stacking with Opportunist. HOWEVER, I freely admit that it could be a number of other issues. It could be that Opportunist is not working properly and that the smallblade would stack appropriately with Tempest. It could be that I just rolled poorly -- others have done similar testing, albeit with significantly fewer samples, and found it to be working fine.

It could be a flaw with my charcter or something completely unrelated to the Smallblade and/or Opportunist that's causing the lower results.

The bottom line is that you should test it before making a change. That being said, I switched from Dual LitIIs to LitII+Smallblade after seeing Lelo's math on the smallblade.

Basic, universal rogue build advice
    "Not in the face! Not in the faaaaaace!"

Quote Originally Posted by Draccus View Post
    . . . That being said, I switched from Dual LitIIs to LitII+Smallblade after seeing Lelo's math on the smallblade.
    Could you link me Lelo's math on this?

It's buried pretty deep, but here's the direct link:

http://forums.ddo.com/showpost.php?p...5&postcount=33

Basic, universal rogue build advice
    "Not in the face! Not in the faaaaaace!"

Community Member

That post is a bit difficult to read :P

The litII damage looks like this:

1d8+5 base damage ~ 9.5
    2d6 holy ~ 7
    1d6 shock ~3.5
    str mod ~ x

That adds up to x+20, on average

there is a 30% chance that you crit, adding some damage:

(x+20) base damage
    2*y seeker ~12 , if you have a bloodstone
    1d10 burst ~ 5.5
    1d10 blast ~5.5

x + 43 damage, 30% of the time.

The blast also adds 4d6 shock damage 5% of the time. ~ 14*.05

I'm not sure what is the base damage of the litII proc, or the exact proc rate
    I'll assume 2% for 550 average damage ~ 11 per hit

putting it all together:

(x+20) + .3*(x+43) + .7 + 11

where x is your str mod for the main hand, half of it for your off hand

The Smallblade breakdown goes like this:

2d6+6 base ~13
    1d4 slicing ~ 2.5
    1d8 bleed ~4.5
    str mod ~x

base damage adds up to (x+20) again.

The smallblade has no burst or blast effects. he critical damage goes like this:

(x+20) base
    2*y ~ 12 assuming seeker 6

= x+32

I don't know how to calculate the corrosive salt stuff, I'll assume it adds the same as the lightning strike (I doubt it's that good, but hey)

adding it up:

(x+20) + .3*(x+32) +11?

The smallblade is (.3*11 + .7) = 4 points behind.

The 6% doublestrike gives 1 point for each 16.6 damage you do on average with your main hand.

On a rapier rogue, the smallblade is somewhere between "better" and "close enough that it's not worth it to spend 24 larges on a litII".

On a ranger, forget the smallblade and craft a pair of litII Khopeshes. I'd even take the -4 to-hit from not having proficiency. They are much better
    Last edited by Kmnh; 04-25-2011 at 05:08 PM. Reason: Bad english. I hope it's easier to read now

Quote Originally Posted by Kmnh View Post

On a ranger, forget the smallblade and craft a pair of litII Khopeshes. I'd even take the -4 to-hit from not having proficiency. They are much better
    I already have two khopesh toons, this one is sticking with rapiers.

Community Member

Keep the smallblade, then. It's a little behind, but you are better off using your larges on a litII bow or an accessory.