Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default Anyone test cleave/great cleave?

Anyone? I want to think they are useful, but have my doubts.
    Ghallanda - now with fewer alts and more ghostbane

Tried them both out tonight on my Monk, which is arguably not the best test subject for this. However, neither special attack seemed to break my attack cycle from what I could tell. If they did, it was very very minor.

Both had a cooldown of 5 seconds, but with individual cooldowns so you could spam one after the other and perhaps have a 2 second wait before you could do it again.

Damage seemed to be full on all enemies in an arc in front of me, although regular to-hits were rolled (i.e. it's possible to miss).
    Interestingly, it can trigger possible double-strikes (I was in wind stance) if you have the ability, as this was confirmed with a mere cleave/great cleave without attacking, and I saw a few double hits.
    I'd imagine a 2h weapon user could really have a lot of fun with this in a group/raid setup, especially if a cluster of mobs were held/incapacitated (for +50% damage).

I have an 18 rogue-assassin on Llama I may re-spec to acrobat to try this out, if I can find her a nice staff.

Quote Originally Posted by Aerendil View Post
    Tried them both out tonight on my Monk, which is arguably not the best test subject for this. However, neither special attack seemed to break my attack cycle from what I could tell. If they did, it was very very minor.

Both had a cooldown of 5 seconds, but with individual cooldowns so you could spam one after the other and perhaps have a 2 second wait before you could do it again.

Damage seemed to be full on all enemies in an arc in front of me, although regular to-hits were rolled (i.e. it's possible to miss).
    Interestingly, it can trigger possible double-strikes (I was in wind stance) if you have the ability, as this was confirmed with a mere cleave/great cleave without attacking, and I saw a few double hits.
    I'd imagine a 2h weapon user could really have a lot of fun with this in a group/raid setup, especially if a cluster of mobs were held/incapacitated (for +50% damage).

I have an 18 rogue-assassin on Llama I may re-spec to acrobat to try this out, if I can find her a nice staff.
    Interested in the results, as I have an acrobat almost ready for a TR/tune up.
    Khyber: Runforr 13/6/1 Rog/Ftr/Mnk, Bakup 3/3/1 Mnk/Pal/Rog (TR Pal), Faylah 14 Mnk (TR Mnk), Janthyra 12/7/1 Brb/Rog/Ftr, Ainbthech 20 Sor, Fliethas 18/2 Fvs/Mnk, Unfilled 12/6/2 Mnk/Rgr/Ftr, Arcanemark 10 Wiz "Don't eat us dragon! We're like you, but smaller. And fly worse." - Kobold Crewman on the Heart of Wind

me also would take this over the other garbage feats for shintao
    ~~Squee Tinyfist-Halfling Monk Legend ~~ Unex Dawnstar- Robot Wizard ~~Raksara the Shadow-Gimp Rogue ~~ Illania Del'Puaga-Drow Favored Soul

You need to specificy your race/weapon when your saying how horrible/great the new cleave is. As they are all different, and vary greatly. While it might now be good for human monk/wraps, does not mean its good for others.

For Half-Orc with a Greataxe:
    It's horrible. Worse then before. Incredibly slow animation, and it does nothing at all.. For a good 1.5+ seconds.. Then the damage finally shows up, long after the animation. It also fully resets your chain as before, and does not deal glancing blows as the rlease notes state.

You'd think theyd test it for such a popular combination (one of the most popular race/weapon for a barb, who MUST take cleave)

Community Member

Quote Originally Posted by Shade View Post
    You'd think theyd test it for such a popular combination (one of the most popular race/weapon for a barb, who MUST take cleave)
    heh, after all those years in this forums (was a avid reader of this forums back when the codemasters forum was still up) you can still make me smile for so many different reasons shade. ty
    Thelanis - Inferus Sus
    Keeper Refugee - Exclusively playing Warforged
    Nursing IsFutile (FvS) - Unorthodox Behaviour (Kensai) - Bigbofo (Warchanter) - Nukelear Blast (Sorc) - Jurugu Fleshbane (currently TRing) - Reviving IsCheaper (Radiant Blaster)

Quote Originally Posted by Aerendil View Post
    Does that on live now. Actually considered making a whirlwind monk just based on the three (kinda in a mele AoE options experimentation mood of late), but figured that'd get the nerfbat before I'd hit 20.

Hero

Is Supreme Cleave still just as useless?
    Khyber: Ying-1, Kobeyashi, Nichevo-1 | 75 million Reaper XP

on my halfling monk cleave seams to work nicelty, not really interrupting attack chain. Great cleave however is still horible, the attack animation takes about 1.5 seconds while the damage doesn't pop up for about .5 second. which is sad because great cleave looks awesome on a monk lol.
    ~~Squee Tinyfist-Halfling Monk Legend ~~ Unex Dawnstar- Robot Wizard ~~Raksara the Shadow-Gimp Rogue ~~ Illania Del'Puaga-Drow Favored Soul

2015 DDO Players Council Seikojin's Avatar

human 20 fighter. Kensi twf using scims.

It was very fast, didn't interrupt my chain, damage came out fast as well. I did notice the doublestrike as well.

However, I noticed it being a lot slower for the swing, interrupting my attack chain, and a delay in damage display when I switched to mucks (what I would consider my slowest weapons).

I think someone specced for 2hf should have no delay or drop in dps with it. Bummer.

Both cleave and great cleave worked the same for me.

Quote Originally Posted by Shade View Post
    You need to specificy your race/weapon when your saying how horrible/great the new cleave is. As they are all different, and vary greatly. While it might now be good for human monk/wraps, does not mean its good for others.

For Half-Orc with a Greataxe:
    It's horrible. Worse then before. Incredibly slow animation, and it does nothing at all.. For a good 1.5+ seconds.. Then the damage finally shows up, long after the animation. It also fully resets your chain as before, and does not deal glancing blows as the rlease notes state.

Yep, sorry. Initial testing was with a human monk with handwraps.
    Just tested on my half elf rogue (now specced for acrobat) and was "ok", but a bit less impressive. The animation itself did take a bit longer to fire with a quarterstaff than with handwraps, but it didn't take away too much dps. Again, with a monk and an acrobat, they're both swinging fast, so it's hard to tell if there's an interrupt in the attack chain. I'd imagine it would be much more noticeable with a Barb or 2h splashed Fighter.
    I also didn't see any glancing blows either, just to confirm Shade's experiences with that. Shame :/

Not sure I'd take these feats at this point, but was a fun experiment nonetheless.

Let me get this straight.... They spent time trying to improve 2 lower quality feats and made them worse?
    Aeolwind (5/12) - 18 Sorc/1 Art | Melisandria - 20 Fighter SD | Anlona - 20 cleric RS

It sounds to be that the cleave/great cleave speed is fastest on the handwraps, then scimitars, then quarterstaves. Slowest on the great Axe.

Somehow, this made sense to me since you can't swing a great axe at the same speed as some handwraps.

However, it still sounds like there is a bug in there some where if it breaks the attack chain.

This would made some smaller weapons like handwraps, scimitars, rapiers, short swords be at least be desirable somewhat in certain builds in comparison with those big weapons like great axes, mauls, khopeshes or ESOS.

With Great Power Comes Great Responsibility

Quote Originally Posted by Aeolwind View Post
    Let me get this straight.... They spent time trying to improve 2 lower quality feats and made them worse?
    You sound surprised?

A Baker's dozen in the Prophets of the New Republic and Fallen Heroes.
    Abaigeal(TrBd25), Ailiae(TrDrd2), Ambyre(Rgr25), Amilia(Pl20), Einin(TrRgr25), Emili(TrFgt25), Heathier(TrClc22), Kynah(TrMnk25), Meallach(Brb25), Misbehaven(TrArt22), Myara(Rog22), Rosewood(TrBd25) and Sgail(TrWiz20) little somethings with flavour 'n favour

Quote Originally Posted by Tyrande View Post
    It sounds to be that the cleave/great cleave speed is fastest on the handwraps, then scimitars, then quarterstaves. Slowest on the great Axe.

Somehow, this made sense to me since you can't swing a great axe at the same speed as some handwraps.

However, it still sounds like there is a bug in there some where if it breaks the attack chain.

This would made some smaller weapons like handwraps, scimitars, rapiers, short swords be at least be desirable somewhat in certain builds in comparison with those big weapons like great axes, mauls, khopeshes or ESOS.
    Scimitars? ***?
    Ghallanda - now with fewer alts and more ghostbane

Quote Originally Posted by voodoogroves View Post
    Scimitars? ***?
    For my dwarf twf, didn't matter what combination or weapon type I used. Any combination of 1handers produced the same results.

Doubt it changes for any weapons. TWF has never varied like that. Race may perhaps have some effect.

Community Member

Quote Originally Posted by Carpone View Post
    Is Supreme Cleave still just as useless?
    Well, you can still clear bats with it...but that has been the primary use for the feat anyway.

Quote Originally Posted by Diyon View Post
    Interested in the results, as I have an acrobat almost ready for a TR/tune up.
    Ya this change is REALLLY going to be a boon to acrobats...
    Ghinsuu, Spikey, Preying, , Pyroclastic
    Khyber, Jesters Court

***Your Vip Account Has Been Cancelled***

Community Member

Quote Originally Posted by The_Phenx View Post
    Why is that? The glancing blows helps, but it isn't close to what I'd consider a CAPITAL LETTERS improvement. Is there something else good?

Clicking the Cleave icon in battle still seems like it'll be only a marginal improvement, or sometimes even put you behind the outcome of attacking normally.

Quote Originally Posted by The_Phenx View Post
    Somehow I am sensing sarcasm somewhere in there.

I know a guy who plays an acrobat with an Epic SoulDrinker on LIVE.

He is tearing up epic monsters with that weapon right now. With Cleave/Great Cleave added to the attack chain, it is going to be better, no doubt.

With Great Power Comes Great Responsibility

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast