Default Intimidate and instant death (Eladrin/Torc?)

In one of your posts you talked about how insta-kill spells were a hate-able offense ... do you have anything you can share on how that will work?

http://forums.ddo.com/showthread.php?t=307823

- Will it generate just the hate from the damage on the save, or will it generate some additional amount?
    - Will it bump the instakiller to the top of the list?
    - Will non-spell instakillers (vorpal) do the same?
    - Will it apply to banishment (weapons and spells), smiting?

Thanks in advance for any info
    Ghallanda - now with fewer alts and more ghostbane

Quote Originally Posted by voodoogroves View Post
    In one of your posts you talked about how insta-kill spells were a hate-able offense ... do you have anything you can share on how that will work?

http://forums.ddo.com/showthread.php?t=307823

- Will it generate just the hate from the damage on the save, or will it generate some additional amount?
    - Will it bump the instakiller to the top of the list?
    - Will non-spell instakillers (vorpal) do the same?
    - Will it apply to banishment (weapons and spells), smiting?

Thanks in advance for any info
    No special rules exist for these - they do a bunch of damage, which makes them generate more threat than they used to.

Wow ... awesome quick reply.

Is the secondary damage from the death effect spells typed in any way, or increased? ie, Nullification / Void Lore?

Nevermind, I see in the release notes some are typed as negative. This would make them boostable by a PM, in theory.
    Last edited by voodoogroves; 04-06-2011 at 10:13 AM.
    Ghallanda - now with fewer alts and more ghostbane

Quote Originally Posted by Eladrin View Post
    No special rules exist for these - they do a bunch of damage, which makes them generate more threat than they used to.
    Maybe it's just me, but if I was hit by a spell that I recognised as a death spell, shrugged it off and took 60 damage I'd be a hell of a lot more angry than I would be if I was struck by a Fireball or sword and took 60 damage.

I posted a thread elsewhere suggesting more options for threat reduction for casters, but IMO death spells should be exactly the opposite.
    I don't have a zerging problem.

I'm zerging. That's YOUR problem.

2015 DDO Players Council Ironforge_Clan's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by sirgog View Post
    Maybe it's just me, but if I was hit by a spell that I recognised as a death spell, shrugged it off and took 60 damage I'd be a hell of a lot more angry than I would be if I was struck by a Fireball or sword and took 60 damage.

I posted a thread elsewhere suggesting more options for threat reduction for casters, but IMO death spells should be exactly the opposite.
    Totally agree with you here. Its the whole "holy **** that guy just tried to cap my a$$...time to return the favor!"
    Axebiter, Cujo, Runeforge, Runefury, Runegoth, Runehealer, Runehamer, Runehorde, Runenight, Runesongs, Runezephyr
    And the forgotten: Runeaura, Runedevourer, Herstinkie, Runewolf,
    Caught somewhere between casual player and power gamer.

Community Member

I would agree that mobs might feel a little more upset with death spells IF they took ranks in spellcraft to identify what spell was cast against them. Otherwise I'd imagine it feels quite like like you're having a heart attack or that you feel extremely weak very suddenly. The animation that we see for our spells is not necessarily the appropriate animation that the mobs would see (ex. wail of the banshee is merely a sound and has no visual effect). Mobs that have felt this before and can associate the feeling with the effect may very well react with greater hostility, but in DDO there are very many disposable mobs, that die, and do not have that prior experience (even with named mobs). Thus by the time a mob knew what spell was being cast, they're already dead. We're all just playing in parallel universes with infinite bad guys.

Part of mob AI should be that casters are targeted first, which they often are because of the range on spells. It's very hard however, to ignore the Half-Orc barbarian slicing through your spleen four times a second. It wouldn't make sense to just turn away from this barbarian, after you're feeling weakened from death spell damage, to try and run towards the caster you saw waving his arms around. The same would apply to the fireball situation you hypothesized.

As far as DDO balance goes, the threat generated is just fine like it is. The penalty for failing to land a death spell is that the enemy is still alive and you have fewer spell points. It's less of a penalty than it was before, but the increase to death spell cooldowns makes up for the gain in power. Pump your DCs to the max or expect poor results and tough situations.

Quote Originally Posted by Eladrin View Post
    Will Boss Monsters immune to death effects by default mechanics (i.e. Red Named and Purple Named NPCs) be affected by the damage? Or will they be out-right immune?

i.e. If I cast Finger of Death on Suulomades will he take damage or will I get an "Immune" message?

Well, I'd be equally miffed at a caster trying to kill me with a finger of death, fireball, or spoon. . Maybe the fear factor is finger>fireball>spoon? With the new dmg changes tho, probably all makes sense again.
    -Thelanis toons- Alektronic (wolf), Bakeneko (monk), Ghyldra (druid), Hermeros (crafter), Lecker (wf wiz),
    Panaceus (elemental barb), Quallus (SDK), Taigong (acrobat), Vamprix (warlock), Vercigetorix (bard)

Community Member

Quote Originally Posted by sirgog View Post

I was seeing 250+ damage from my PM on a successful save so they do hurt alittle more than most. I agree though perhaps its is too low - however given the new threat mechanics you wouldn't want a single spell running away with the lead only for a fighter to use that lead to jump ahead of the pack on the threat list.

A mindflayer and a Beholder are in a room, which do you kill first? Hound runs tell me beholder because they are more apt to insta kill some ill equipped retred.... this change applies the same theory...
    Wait, can you hear it? Is it? The worlds smallest vio..nah... nevermind... it can't be, its too small..

I was wondering if death spells would damage raid bosses and add increased hate or would they just be immune too.

This, along with the new DoT, might be a way to salvage all the Cleric/FvS intimitank builds.

Now if Blade Barrier just hurt anything standing in it.