Community Member

Default DBF,Chain lightning and Lightning Bolt

It says that if the mob makes a reflex save they take 1/2 damage.

i was out in the devils battlefield with 37 dc on those spells and attacking a trog stalker.

It saved on all 3 spells and took zero damage.

I tried electric loop and shocking grasp and it hit. even if he saved it did 1/2 damage.

So what is wrong with my DBF CL and LB?

Thanks for any help

Well they have evasion, so when saving against a reflex spell it wouldn't take any damage. I don't know why it did take damage against electric loop though, you sure it saved?

Community Member

I never fail on a electric loop and the only time i was able to hit the mob with lighting bolt was when it critted

its wierd cause its the same dc and the same rule of 1/2 damge if saving.
    In combat log it doesnt say anything other than casting at level 24

However on top it says evade on lightning bolt. no evade comes up with electric loop

Electric Loop has another save, its a will save against daze.

Perhaps the spell was implemented in a way such that if the monster fails the will save, the spell still hits, I dunno.

With Great Power Comes Great Responsibility

Community Member

I tried to curse him 5 times and when it didn't evade I did 89 damage non crit(lightning bolt) so I assume that if he evaded it would be 45ish and if he has a 45+ resist he would take zero damage.

Quote Originally Posted by fugazi70 View Post
    I tried to curse him 5 times and when it didn't evade I did 89 damage non crit(lightning bolt) so I assume that if he evaded it would be 45ish and if he has a 45+ resist he would take zero damage.
    A lot of those mobs are considered rogues and have improved evasion, the rest are archers and have regular evasion.

Maximum damage from a lightning bolt is 10d3+30 from http://compendium.ddo.com/wiki/Spell:Lightning_Bolt

So 89 would be in the ball park with a superior potency item. However, from what you're writing, it looks like 89 is NOT in the ball park because you had the trogolyte cursed 5 times. You also did not turn on metamagics like maximize + empower + heighten. Metamagics on SLAs are FREE.

So, you should be getting (10d3+30) * potency or clickie (1.5 to 1.75) * metamagics (2.5) = 37.5d3 + 112.5 to 43.75d3 + 131.25 = average (187.5) to 262.5 damage as a wizard.

Also, where are your enhancements? Did you take Storm VII? That should add another 50% to base. Sorcerer capstone? another 20%.

Now add in the curses from an air savant: (1.75 for cursing 5 times):

187.5 * 1.75 to 262.5 * 1.75 = 328.125 to 459.375 as an air savant.

If you are not getting more than these numbers with metamagics, item and curses then you should /bug report it.
    Last edited by Tyrande; 04-04-2011 at 04:07 PM.

With Great Power Comes Great Responsibility

Community Member

Okay I wasn't sure what I had equipped and what was enabled. So I went back out there and had it cursed 5 times along with everyything on and enabled. And hit it for (Combat): You hit Fiendish Troglodyte Stalker for 463 points of electric damage.

However it took 20 times casting it to get through his evasion. When he evaded he took zero damage

I have Air Savant 3, and the air lines maxed out. I have the epic dagger from the cove quests so that is pot 7. I had noxious embers for 9% .25 and wizard archmage tod set for .25 extra

I don't have capstone as I am a 18 sorc 2 monk build

I had 39 charisma and a tr sorc past life rank

With ship buffs my dc was 37. I only have one rank of skill focus evocation otherwise it would be +1

hmm just strange that electric loop does no evasion check while higher level spells, he is able to save
    Last edited by fugazi70; 04-04-2011 at 05:20 PM.