Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

5 more points is hardly anything to be concerned about. Maybe at level 10/11 when your Cle/FvS first gets it, but such a small increase will quickly become irrelevant in its impact to your SP pool. Every 7 heals, you effectively lose the SP to cast an 8th...ohnoz!

As for why increase it, heal just so totally outclasses all of the other spells, that it's a bit silly. Leaving aside the large amount of HP returned, the laundry list of status effects it cures frees up a ton of spell slots that might otherwise be spent on a half dozen other spells whose only purpose would be removing icons over player's heads.
    Kobold sentient jewel still hate you.

Quote Originally Posted by Matuse View Post
    5 more points is hardly anything to be concerned about. Maybe at level 10/11 when your Cle/FvS first gets it, but such a small increase will quickly become irrelevant in its impact to your SP pool. Every 7 heals, you effectively lose the SP to cast an 8th...ohnoz!

As for why increase it, heal just so totally outclasses all of the other spells, that it's a bit silly. Leaving aside the large amount of HP returned, the laundry list of status effects it cures frees up a ton of spell slots that might otherwise be spent on a half dozen other spells whose only purpose would be removing icons over player's heads.
    I posted this in the wrong cleric thread accidently, but the bigger part of the change is the 10-12 sp reductions in cure serious and critical. That means that if your only active metas are empower healing/quicken (like a radiant servant would be), it's cheaper to use cure serious or crit than it is to use heal, which might make sense especially of healing amp is very high.

Think about it, a rad servant who doesn't need to quicken can throw csw and ccw for 22-25 sp, and that will heal 250-350 hp depending on the target. That's actually mana savings for a lot of situations where you don't need the heal spell curative effect. For example, I suspect clerics will use this on me when I tank towers, when the heal scrolls are on cooldown, saving actual heal spell for post-fail disintegrate alone. It'll really extend how far the mana goes.

Quote Originally Posted by salmag View Post
    I agree. People will still use Heal. Maybe they'll change tactics if they put a 4 minute cooldown timer on it...
    ~ Pallai, Chennai, Saraphima~
    ~Shipbuff, Sophalia, Northenstar ~
    ~ Ascent~

Quote Originally Posted by Junts View Post
    I posted this in the wrong cleric thread accidently, but the bigger part of the change is the 10-12 sp reductions in cure serious and critical. That means that if your only active metas are empower healing/quicken (like a radiant servant would be), it's cheaper to use cure serious or crit than it is to use heal, which might make sense especially of healing amp is very high.
    Thats what I was thinking. But then I would need to turn on Maximize for the bursts. And turn off for the CCW. With the activation timer it would be annoying. Or is there a workaround? Right now I am lazy and leave Max on and use Heal. I can afford overhealing in the small static group I am playing in.

Infant

Quote Originally Posted by Infant View Post
    Thats what I was thinking. But then I would need to turn on Maximize for the bursts. And turn off for the CCW. With the activation timer it would be annoying. Or is there a workaround? Right now I am lazy and leave Max on and use Heal. I can afford overhealing in the small static group I am playing in.

Infant
    I dunno, most rad servants i play with don't even have maximize spell. The fvs do, of course, but with radiant servant improvement of empower healing and the utter uselessness of bladebarrier in epic, most radiant servants just save the feat - its totally overkill on mass cures when you have the improved empower healing feature of radiant serv.

I don't really expect this to change: You'd have to be incredibly heavily wis based on a cleric to have BB be functional in epic with the new saving throws, and if you're gonna do that you're better off casting better spells anyway. The fvs with their 30% bonus might try to BB stuff, but clerics? Outside of grabbing aggro, I doubt its used in any kind of party environment.
    Last edited by Junts; 04-02-2011 at 02:40 AM.

Heal may have increased by 5 SP, which isn't much...

...but look at how far the "Cure" series of spells decreased. This is what you should be looking at.

Instead of Heal having a 0 SP difference with a lesser healing spell on the same spell level, the difference is now much larger.

It was a design flaw that two spells, casting the exact same SP, would have one that is so clearly superior to another. Now that they've matched the SP cost to the power of the spell, you actually have a reason to cast a Cure spell instead of Heal. Less overhealing means more SP for emergency Heal.
    The guy who likes to experience every class. Except Fighter >:[ I don't like you Fighter.
    Hey Devs! Let's give Warpriests and Eldritch Knights some loving, kay? :<

Quote Originally Posted by Junts View Post
    I dunno, most rad servants i play with don't even have maximize spell. The fvs do, of course, but with radiant servant improvement of empower healing and the utter uselessness of bladebarrier in epic, most radiant servants just save the feat - its totally overkill on mass cures when you have the improved empower healing feature of radiant serv.

I don't really expect this to change: You'd have to be incredibly heavily wis based on a cleric to have BB be functional in epic with the new saving throws, and if you're gonna do that you're better off casting better spells anyway. The fvs with their 30% bonus might try to BB stuff, but clerics? Outside of grabbing aggro, I doubt its used in any kind of party environment.
    Maximized bursts are nice. And BB with half damage after saves is/was still a viable spell, esp. while leveling. But maybe I'll reconsider the feat choices on my 18/2 Cleric Fighter in favor of melee feats.

Infant

Community Member

Quote Originally Posted by Anthem View Post
    That might not be far from the truth: Cures (mass too) have dropped in cost, so in the cycle of raid/grouped healing, things might balance out, and it is the worst of the low/non-fortified toons with weak saves who may suffer most from the divines giving Heal a second thought before saving their weak builds.
    From what I can tell, only clwm has had its cost reduced by 5 sp whereas all the other mass cures and mass heal have remained at the same cost.

As an FvS with limited spell selection I'd have prefered all cures dropping in cost but just keeping heal instead of increasing its cost.

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123