Community Member

Default acid rain, hopefully this is a bug

I don't know if it is working properly, or if it is bugged, but acid rain is acting screwy.

First, when you cast a firewall, it goes up and the enemy takes fire damage. they can run after you, only getting hit once, but they still take it. However, when you cast acid rain, it takes about 3 seconds to go into effect, by which point most aggressive mobs have WELL gotten outside the reach. And with short duration, you have a hard time dragging them back through it.

Second, acid rain is acting more like firewall and less like melfs. By that i mean that i have had MANY times that i have tried it in the vale where when you threw it up, if the mobs only got caught in the edge of it, they would only take ONE tick of damage, rather then all the ticks the spell says it should. For example, i dropped an acid rain on some lamanaian dogs, and the ones who didnt get hit in the middle of the effect only took one acid tick. Mobs who were in the middle of the rain took 2-3 (4?) ticks as they should. In another example, the two trolls and the lion near rocky; the first troll (the one i dropped the spell on) ran towards me not getting hit at all. The other two ran twards me getting in the middle of the spell effect. I ran the first one back through the spell (getting hit in the process) just as it was ending, so it was only in the rain for about 1/2 of a second. Troll 2 and lion both took enough ticks to die (something like 230 damage with only a potency item and no acid crit item on) but troll 1 only got hit once and i had to blast it with some force missiles to take it down.

These are really bad things to happen. If a spell is going to be half as good as firewall, it cannot be shorter, smaller, harder to use on the mob you target, and harder to get it to deal full damage. It doesn't matter how much damage the spell does to an enemy, if you have to cast two spells to get the job done where you only needed 1 before.

Community Member

I thought Acid Rain was an AoE DoT spell. That's what it's always felt like when monsters cast it on me...

Ever used ice storm on Live?
    Acid rain behaves just like that, it takes a while before manifesting, so you must cast accordingly.

But seriously the Dpm and Dps it can dish out is crazy, this is really the last spell we should complain about...unless casted by monster ofc!

Community Member

Quote Originally Posted by Killdaelf View Post
    Ever used ice storm on Live?
    Acid rain behaves just like that, it takes a while before manifesting, so you must cast accordingly.
    Is that something new on Lamannia? Acid Rain has never done that before.

Quote Originally Posted by Angelus_dead View Post
    Is that something new on Lamannia? Acid Rain has never done that before.
    Acid rain is completely different on Lamannia.

On live, its a one-shot aoe that ticks on you regardless of where you go and the rain in the air is purely cosmetic - its actually only applied at the instant of cast.

On lamannia, it is actually a persistent effect for 8 seconds that doesn't apply dot damage until the first tick (not upon entry), like most more recent dot spells. Since its short, its hard to get more than 3 ticks from it. Since it does the same damage as a cone of cold per tick (!!) with no save, thats generally ok.

With earth savant its actually the highest-damaging single-cast spell in the game (a total of 54d6 for one casting, over its ticks) persuming you can get the mob to stay in the rain for the entirety.

its a boss spell, due to how hard that is with nonstatinary mobs, mostly, or really uber after a hold or something. Its not really viable to kite mobs through it due to its duration and delay to start damaging.

I guess it needs a downside, given how incredible its damage is.

The downside is that you'd be an earth savant =D

Community Member wax_on_wax_off's Avatar

Web?

Seemed obvious to me but earth savants have a good synergy with taking spell focus: conjuration (acid blast) so might as well pop your web DC up as much as possible and lay down one of these. Once you got a mob in it you can hit it with acid rain/burning blood/melfs and move on.