Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Quote Originally Posted by Ironforge_Clan View Post
    Although force seems to be getting some love there still isn't that persistent AOE force spell so you are required to delve into one of the other elements regardless.
    Which element would serve this purpose best? I mean provide persistent AoE along with instant AoE and single-target DPS of Force? Not Lightning, AFAIK. So its Ice, Acid or Fire.

I don't really know which enemies have which resistances, that's why I'm asking.

Infant

2015 DDO Players Council Ironforge_Clan's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Infant View Post
    Which element would serve this purpose best? I mean provide persistent AoE along with instant AoE and single-target DPS of Force? Not Lightning, AFAIK. So its Ice, Acid or Fire.

I don't really know which enemies have which resistances, that's why I'm asking.

Infant
    This is my dilema as well. Fire seems to be the worse one since WoF and IC are taking a pretty big hit on duration. That only really leaves ice and acid. From what I've read it appears that acid could be the better choice. I'm just not sold yet.
    Axebiter, Cujo, Runeforge, Runefury, Runegoth, Runehealer, Runehamer, Runehorde, Runenight, Runesongs, Runezephyr
    And the forgotten: Runeaura, Runedevourer, Herstinkie, Runewolf,
    Caught somewhere between casual player and power gamer.

Quote Originally Posted by Ironforge_Clan View Post
    This is my dilema as well. Fire seems to be the worse one since WoF and IC are taking a pretty big hit on duration. That only really leaves ice and acid. From what I've read it appears that acid could be the better choice. I'm just not sold yet.
    The release notes are somehow vague about whether both parts of Ice Storm damage will be affected by Force AND by Ice. The only strong reason for Ice then would be Polar Ray and Frost Lance, two no-save single-target spells.

As for Acid, there are reports from Lammania that Acid Rain is, contrary to the release notes, using normal, un-weighted dice (15d6 per tick, not 15d3+45, as announced). What does Acid else have for wizards? Cloudkill -- is there still a fortitude save against damage there? Acid Fog? Melf's?

And WoF ist still good DPM, even with the nerf, if you can keep the mobs inside.

Infant

2015 DDO Players Council Ironforge_Clan's Avatar

The release notes are somehow vague about whether both parts of Ice Storm damage will be affected by Force AND by Ice. The only strong reason for Ice then would be Polar Ray and Frost Lance, two no-save single-target spells.

As for Acid, there are reports from Lammania that Acid Rain is, contrary to the release notes, using normal, un-weighted dice (15d6 per tick, not 15d3+45, as announced). What does Acid else have for wizards? Cloudkill -- is there still a fortitude save against damage there? Acid Fog? Melf's?

And WoF ist still good DPM, even with the nerf, if you can keep the mobs inside.

Infant
    Acid also has burning blood which ironically has both an acid and fire component. Reports are that the damage is very nice. Both Cloudkill and Acid Fog seem to do alright damage and their durations are longer than both WoF and IC. Cloudkill does have a save but that is only for the con damage...iirc.

Testing WoF in epic WK the mobs still stand inside it for the most part. It is just annoying to have to recast it so often.
    Axebiter, Cujo, Runeforge, Runefury, Runegoth, Runehealer, Runehamer, Runehorde, Runenight, Runesongs, Runezephyr
    And the forgotten: Runeaura, Runedevourer, Herstinkie, Runewolf,
    Caught somewhere between casual player and power gamer.

Community Member

I did some preliminary testing on my All-elemental build. Did Sins of Attrition Hard, Eye of the Titan Elite, and first few rooms in Wizking Epic.

Eye of the Titan Elite
    I did this one because I know it well. Damage spells still seem to be rather inneficient, but Circle of Death -> Wail of the Banshee combo usually kills most of Dream Reavers, which are only serious enemies here. Boss was rather easy, killed really fast with cycling of Acid Rain, Melfs, Burning blood, Ice Storm, Polar ray and Necrotic ray. Did it fastest so far, and I started playing a bit before critwall nerf.

Sins of Attrition Hard
    Didn't really have time to test elite. Acid rain proved to be amazing here, but I'd like to go back in and test Chain Lightning too, since I forgot to prepare it. I did this one first, so I didn't have circle of death prepared too, but it seemed that Acid Rain was more sp efficient than the way I did it on live - by spamming Wail. Horned devil also got killed easily. Since I couldn't kill Horned Demon on Elite on live, I might just test it out.

Wizking Epic
    Firewall still seemed the best here, even against gnolls. Acid Rain/Nukes simply, IMO, didn't have efficiency to compete. Wail is risky and mostly uneffective. You can cast Circle of Death from perch, and it debuffs levels on a succesful Fort save, was very usefull here. Ice Storm still kills golems.

Overall, I feel reclucant to change this build. It dealt nice damage, and I feel like I'll be using spells from all elements (Including two new DoT's I don't have yet, which are lightning and cold).

Quote Originally Posted by budalic View Post
    I did some preliminary testing on my All-elemental build. Did Sins of Attrition Hard, Eye of the Titan Elite, and first few rooms in Wizking Epic.
    Cool, thx for posting this. All-Elemental means you spent equal APs on Ice, Acid, Air and Fire?

Infant

Community Member

Cool, thx for posting this. All-Elemental means you spent equal APs on Ice, Acid, Air and Fire?

Infant
    Yes. Full damage, first tier of crits. Unfortunately, for me to post full damage numbers, I'd need to do some cirt math for each spell, and I don't have time for that.

UPDATE: Regarding Acid Rain, it does seem it isn't doing 15d3 + 45 damage. However, unlike spells that really do d3+3 damage per caster level, which say they do 4 to 6 damage per caster level, it's xx to xx descripton states it's doing 1 to 6 damage per caster level. So, it might have never been supposed to have d3+3 (ie. weighted) dice. It's still an amazing spell, though.
    Last edited by budalic; 04-01-2011 at 08:22 AM.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12