Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234

Thread: Shield Mastery

Quote Originally Posted by sephiroth1084 View Post
    I think this illustrates pretty well why intimidate had to be changed in order for this feat to ever see the light of day.
    Probably...I never considered it but a WF 12f/6b/2r with the SD PrE could get no fail intim and massive DR while intim blocking and using a healing stick (10/20/30% heal amp) AND self heal with SF pots (330hp per 3seconds).

Out of that situation, they would still have pretty good DPS either TWF or THF.
    Proud Leader & official Gimp of Crimson Eagles on Khyber
    Angryscrews Wiz 20 - Felgor Barb 20 - Brelgor Fighter 18/1/1 - Flavoursome TR1 Sorc 15 - Splatsplat DoS 18/2
    Quote Originally Posted by Auran82 View Post
    Numot talks enough for like 10 people. So yeah, 13 people in that channel.

Quote Originally Posted by AylinIsAwesome View Post
    I'm not saying I should be able to fit in all the feats I want; ideally I'd love to also have the THF line but I know I have to make some sacrifices. However, if the way to beef up S&B is to make it cost 2 or 3 feats to do so, then it's utterly impossible for me take advantage of that in any way. I can't drop another combat chain for it simply because I just don't have one.

The feats I have are these:

Adamantine Body
    Toughness
    Khopesh
    Power Attack
    Combat Expertise
    Improved Critical
    Dodge

I know I can reasonably drop Dodge for a new feat, so that's not an issue, but I doubt I could drop 2.

If the improvement to S&B was only 1 feat though, then Paladins would have access to it, and Fighters would still be able to pick up things that I just simply can't, like Dodge (under the new setup), the THF chain, and so forth. That's where I'm coming from on this.
    Yeah, I've got:
    Dodge
    Fighter Past Life
    Maximize
    Quicken
    Toughness
    Power Attack
    Combat Expertise
    Improved Critical

And I could drop Dodge or the Fighter PL, but not sure I'd give up both, and can't really drop anything else.
    Useful links: A Guide to Using a Gamepad w/ DDO / All Caster Shroud, Hard Shroud, VoD, ToD Einhander, Elochka, Ferrumrym, Ferrumdermis, Ferrumshot, Ferrumblood, Ferrumender, Ferrumshadow, Ferrumschtik All proud officers of The Loreseekers. Except Bruucelee, he's a Sentinel!

I didn't read through the whole thread and it may already have been covered.

But does the % DR get applied before the active or passive DR of a shield?

Say if I was blocking with a Levik's Defender and a mob hit me for 100 points of damage, would that be reduced by 100*0.8 - 15 or 100 - 15*0.8?

Quote Originally Posted by Astraghal View Post
    I didn't read through the whole thread and it may already have been covered.

But does the % DR get applied before the active or passive DR of a shield?

Say if I was blocking with a Levik's Defender and a mob hit me for 100 points of damage, would that be reduced by 100*0.8 - 15 or 100 - 15*0.8?
    The reduction applies before DR. You'd take 65 in your example, not 68.
    Useful links: A Guide to Using a Gamepad w/ DDO / All Caster Shroud, Hard Shroud, VoD, ToD Einhander, Elochka, Ferrumrym, Ferrumdermis, Ferrumshot, Ferrumblood, Ferrumender, Ferrumshadow, Ferrumschtik All proud officers of The Loreseekers. Except Bruucelee, he's a Sentinel!

Community Member AylinIsAwesome's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Xenus_Paradox View Post
    You should crunch the numbers and see if Adamantine Body + DR enhancements give better damage mitigation than Shield Mastery. If not, you know what to drop, and you'll save some AP to boot.
    I don't have the DR enhancements. Adamantine Body is there for the +6 AC over Composite Body. For DR I have an Epic Cloak of Night.

To this list of classes lacking in feats that still should have a use for shields (occasinally) add Warchanter bards and Warpriest clerics (when they get done).

My 2 Fighter/18 bard Warchanter
    -------------------------------
    Weapon Focus
    Power Attack
    Force of Personality
    Toughness
    Imp. Crit
    Extend
    TWF
    ITWF
    GTWF

I could thoreticly trade part or all of the twf chain for shield feats. If the shield feats made enough difference, which they currently do not. If I was pure bard I would only have 1 feat of wiggle room.

Anyone with a level 20 "melee" cleric (or even 2/18) want to give a list of feats they have and which 2-3 they could give up?
    Last edited by Trippy; 04-04-2011 at 06:50 PM.

Default suggest improvement to ISM

Here is my idea for making ISM actually helpful.
    "You are so skilled using a shield that not only can you defend yourself but also nearby allies. Prevents an additional 5% damage to you and nearby allies"
    Now how far "nearby" is and whether it works 360 degrees or just 180 front arc is a question. Also would the ally bonus stack with that ally's own shield mastery damage prevention would be for playtesting to decide.

I would also love to see a similar thing for both of the "Defender" prestige lines. Right now they don't realy defend others that well.

For the problem of non-fighters being able to afford both she shield line and 2hf or twf line,
    i think that is a good thing. Other classes have other abilities.

Quote Originally Posted by Trippy View Post
    To this list of classes lacking in feats that still should have a use for shields (occasinally) add Warchanter bards and Warpriest clerics (when they get done).

My 2 Fighter/18 bard Warchanter
    -------------------------------
    Weapon Focus
    Power Attack
    Force of Personality
    Toughness
    Imp. Crit
    Extend
    TWF
    ITWF
    GTWF

I could thoreticly trade part or all of the twf chain for shield feats. If the shield feats made enough difference, which they currently do not. If I was pure bard I would only have 1 feat of wiggle room.

Anyone with a level 20 "melee" cleric (or even 2/18) want to give a list of feats they have and which 2-3 they could give up?
    Extend ? ;-)

Most 18/2s are sitting on 9 or 10 feats for TWF ...

Toughness
    Improved Crit
    TXF
    ITXF
    GTXF
    Power Attack
    Quicken
    Empower/Healing
    Maximize

Human could squeeze in Shield Mastery; if I had to drop one from here on a cleric I'd need some honesty on good my to-hits were vs. my offensive spells. If my STR was low-ish or I found I was turning PA off frequently, that one goes. If I only meleed with a Min2, Improved Crit goes (though I find that much more useful than PA on most builds). If my offensive casting is kinda weak, Maximize can go as a Radiant Servant will be healing just fine w/ Empower Healing.

THF builds can twitch when they need to DPS, turtle up when not. That's how I'm going to tackle mine at least; recover the TWF feats and twitch. Room then to maybe shove Extend back in the mix, etc. Basic model there is workable for bards, clerics or FVS. My Tukaw will be similar.
    Ghallanda - now with fewer alts and more ghostbane

Quote Originally Posted by VorpalLaugh View Post
    Here is my idea for making ISM actually helpful.
    "You are so skilled using a shield that not only can you defend yourself but also nearby allies. Prevents an additional 5% damage to you and nearby allies"
    Now how far "nearby" is and whether it works 360 degrees or just 180 front arc is a question. Also would the ally bonus stack with that ally's own shield mastery damage prevention would be for playtesting to decide.

I would also love to see a similar thing for both of the "Defender" prestige lines. Right now they don't realy defend others that well.

For the problem of non-fighters being able to afford both she shield line and 2hf or twf line,
    i think that is a good thing. Other classes have other abilities.
    I like it! Start a new thread on this so maybe a dev notices.

2015 DDO Players Council Ironforge_Clan's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Khellendros13 View Post
    I think, if I wear my DoD and actively block with Shield mastery and Levik's Defender I will significantly reduce incoming damage on Horath.

DoD+Levik's+blocking = 20+15+10 = 45 DR

100dmg (avg I guess per hit) -45 = 55 - 20% = 44dmg per hit

This is ~300 or less dmg per 6 seconds. Medlas will be extra. I think Heal spell and Heal scroll would allow a fvs or cleric to solo heal me on Elite.

Interesting.
    Just to point out a "mistake" in the order of your math.

Incoming damage = (100 * 0.20) - 45 = 35 [not the 44 you calculated]

The passive damage resistance comes off first. It makes a huge difference.
    Axebiter, Cujo, Runeforge, Runefury, Runegoth, Runehealer, Runehamer, Runehorde, Runenight, Runesongs, Runezephyr
    And the forgotten: Runeaura, Runedevourer, Herstinkie, Runewolf,
    Caught somewhere between casual player and power gamer.

Quote Originally Posted by sephiroth1084 View Post
    I like it! Start a new thread on this so maybe a dev notices.
    I will do that when I get home tonight from work. Should I post it in the Lamannia board in the suggestions board?

Quote Originally Posted by voodoogroves View Post
    Extend ? ;-)
    Yeah, like my groups would allow me to give up extended Haste.

Quote Originally Posted by Trippy View Post
    Yeah, like my groups would allow me to give up extended Haste.
    Your last question was geared towards melee clerics ;-)

I'm keeping extend on bards.
    Ghallanda - now with fewer alts and more ghostbane

you guys think imp shield mastery is worth a feat ? or just imp bash and shield mastery ?
    Virt II makes elujin smile !

Quote Originally Posted by elujin View Post
    you guys think imp shield mastery is worth a feat ? or just imp bash and shield mastery ?
    Its an extra 5% passive damage resistance. Whether that's worth a feat is really up to you and whether your build can stand the price of not having a different feat.
    Quote Originally Posted by Vargouille View Post
    The best of the best DDO players generally overperform when given a real challenge
    Quote Originally Posted by Amundir View Post
    My words are great. Even out of context.

Quote Originally Posted by dunklezhan View Post
    Its an extra 5% passive damage resistance. Whether that's worth a feat is really up to you and whether your build can stand the price of not having a different feat.
    i guess its not for me thx
    Virt II makes elujin smile !

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234