Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by Epitome View Post
    Rumor has it that the scaling of CC was not WAI, especially at 20+. Notice how little damage the mobs hit us for at those levels. Subsequent rumors suggest that such issues will be fixed the next time we see CC come out.
    Maybe it was just me, and just on Lam but when I was running around on my capped melee, the top end Minos were hitting me like a truck. They were easily hitting me for 50+/hit. I did not run any of it Live though, so I have nothing to compare it to.

What I find ironic is that the people complaining how this event lets (in their terms) "noobs" get decent equipment are the same ones that whine about "noobs" being underequipped to do Shroud and other pre-endgame raids.

While I agree that the basic tier 1 and tier 2 level 20 items shouldn't really be called epics, the tier 3's with the slot are worthy of the name epic.

• The cutlass gives everyone a reasonably good portal beater. It's a portal beater with even more uses than a typical anarchic of GCB, so it's well worth anyone to pick one or two up. With enough newer players picking these up, Shroud part 1's will go faster. The Tier 3 version is the only really controversial item on here because of the similarity to Epic Chaosblades. The Epic Chaosblade is still far, far better.
    • Ratkiller is a rather good stunning+10 weapon for a fairly cheap price (at tier 2). Anything to increase the number of people interested in stunning things is a positive direction for epics and other end-game trash mobs.
    • The hat bonus and the Calvalry Plate are the only non-epic non-docent sources of Superior False Life in the game. Extra HP is good for someone who is still in the process of making their first Greensteel HP item.
    • The Brawler's Gloves gives the easiest to get +7 strength bonus in the game (barring getting extremely lucky in eVoN6 and pulling the Red Dragon Helm). Why complain if your PUG members now can potentially get +1 to hit and +1 to damage?
    • The Spyglass gives wizards who haven't yet run 9 ToD's, or have enough larges to spend on a Greensteel +9 int weapon, a way to get +2 exceptional int. Why complain about +1 enchantment DC in epics and +1 necro DC in non-epics?
    • The Spyglass at tier 3 also gives a stacking UMD bonus. Is having more people able to no-fail UMD resurrection and Heal scrolls a bad thing for raids? The only other item with the same stacking UMD bonus (Epic Big Top) is still worth grinding for since the Otto's Irresistible Dance clickie is very useful.

All of the above items allow those people who have just reached 20 to better contribute to the success at a raid than they would without the event items. The items are not end-game, but tools to allow these newer players to better contribute to end-game play.

In addition, to fill their tier 3 item's slot, these players will have to start to learn how to do epic quests. Not just one or two runs like what happened in Mabar, but many more to get enough tokens. These items, coincidentally, help the newer players contribute and survive better in "real" epics.

The popularity of the event and the items in it shows that a potentially neverending luck based grind is NOT appealing to the majority of players. One of the reasons the 20-run-list for raids is much better than the original drop system is that there is light at the end of the tunnel. Sure, you can get screwed and your desired item is not on the list, or on your next 20th list, but there is still a good chance you will eventually get your item.

With the current epic system, you can walk into an epic quest and get extremely lucky (my first eWizKing, I walked out able to make a Vambraces of Inner Light); or you can run for a year and still not be able to complete an item (others in that same eWizKing party have been running for over a month to try to complete their goggles). It's a potentially neverending grind, and it is not enjoyable to a large part of the population. Since Turbine is a business, it must cater to what the majority wants, not the vocal minority.

These were easy to make items, but it was a limited time event. If the same type of epic crafting system eventually gets added to the main game, I expect it to take considerably more time to craft an epic grade item, especially those at the top tier. The biggest improvement in this type of system is that, like Greensteel, you see constant progress. It's a bit luck dependent, but nowhere near what the current epic system is. You're not dependent on getting a 1:25000 droprate scroll or a 1:1200 shard as the ONLY ways to complete your item.

Community Member

Default So,

Quote Originally Posted by robdrew View Post
    Do NOT bring back C cove. Game is WAY too easy as it is. If you think otherwise, i hear facebook has some nice little games you might be able to handle. Nuff said
    Your point is that they should not revisit content others liked, I enjoyed it a great deal, because you feel it makes the game easier for people who are not you?
    and you feel making things require more "rinse repeat" is the same as making them harder?

Interesting.

Just a suggestion; Go at level, elite only, permadeath. Solves all your issues without effect on others.

Community Member

Do NOT bring back C cove. Game is WAY too easy as it is. If you think otherwise, i hear facebook has some nice little games you might be able to handle. Nuff said
    A lot of those games on facebook are basically log in click the same button a lot of times then log out . As you think doing epics is some way hard . I would expect you to be very good at these facebook games as to be good at them means to log in regularly but dosent require any particular skill . Sound familiar ?

Community Member

Quote Originally Posted by Ghibly View Post
    Morover, epic quests/raids are a filter that separate excellent players form good/normal/bad/noob players.
    I'll bet my pants you keep repeating this to yourself while you run Epic VON1 or Epic Bargain.
    Quote Originally Posted by Kmnh View Post
    I have a policy of not drinking anything that gets blocked by the wordfilter.
    T: Micron, Eversmile, Vs, Kreea, Reckluse | G: Wychcraft, Chuckling

I liked the CC event and think it shows the DDO team is working to bring us more quality content.

Players who loaded up on multiple (let's say 3+) tier 3 items for the cove are the same sorta players who could grind out epics/raids.

DDO isn't an exercise in difficulty, no MMO is...it's just a matter of time investment.

As for the cove, I wouldn't mind it back. I'd probably abuse it for the xp though next time, more than anything else.

/Not signed

Other than the usual teething issues that come with any new content, CC was a smashin good time for me. Please bring it back.

Community Member

Quote Originally Posted by TigrisMorte View Post
    Your point is that they should not revisit content others liked, I enjoyed it a great deal, because you feel it makes the game easier for people who are not you?
    and you feel making things require more "rinse repeat" is the same as making them harder?

Interesting.

Just a suggestion; Go at level, elite only, permadeath. Solves all your issues without effect on others.
    rolleyes huh,lol...where in my post did u see the words "rinse and repeat" :rolls eyes:...things that take longer DO make them harder tyvm,its called perseverance which is a difficult character trait to obtain btw...and i enjoyed the event as well but rewards def. were greater than the challenge....oh,An epic (from the Ancient Greek adjective ἐπικός (epikos), from ἔπος (epos) "word, story, poem"[1]) is a lengthy narrative poem, ordinarily concerning a serious subject containing details of heroic deeds and events significant to a culture or nation...so having linked that does any of it remind u of ANYTHING in CC...nuff said
    Darcc/Darcbane/Darcjustice/Darcslayer/Darcsoul/Bloodsaif/Discipled/Gripfast/Soulrise/Soulwater/Windseeker

Community Member

Quote Originally Posted by bryanmeerkat View Post
    A lot of those games on facebook are basically log in click the same button a lot of times then log out . As you think doing epics is some way hard . I would expect you to be very good at these facebook games as to be good at them means to log in regularly but dosent require any particular skill . Sound familiar ?
    1. Never said epic raids and quest are hard
    2. Pm or respond with your epic chrono tanks name so i can myddo to prove that EVERYTHING is easy for YOU
    3. Every responce ive read of yours seems to misinterpret what was said to fit your answer...
    333. Asking to not have such "events" as CC to be brought back was for the devs. Facebook comment can be taken however your concience allows it.
    Darcc/Darcbane/Darcjustice/Darcslayer/Darcsoul/Bloodsaif/Discipled/Gripfast/Soulrise/Soulwater/Windseeker

rolleyes huh,lol...where in my post did u see the words "rinse and repeat" :rolls eyes:...things that take longer DO make them harder tyvm,its called perseverance which is a difficult character trait to obtain btw...and i enjoyed the event as well but rewards def. were greater than the challenge....oh,An epic (from the Ancient Greek adjective ἐπικός (epikos), from ἔπος (epos) "word, story, poem"[1]) is a lengthy narrative poem, ordinarily concerning a serious subject containing details of heroic deeds and events significant to a culture or nation...so having linked that does any of it remind u of ANYTHING in CC...nuff said
    Actually, that doesn't remind me of any Epic quests in DDO either. The epic quests are the same quest as it was on H/N/E, just that the bad guys have many more HP and blanket immunities. That doesn't make them harder quests (specially not Epic), it just makes them take longer. Ant that's only if your group actually plays the quest rather than finding the quickes way to bypass the majority of the the quest and go streight to the end fight. Yeah, skipping 90% of a quest sure sounds epic to me.

Face it, the Epic quests in DDO are anything but epic. Harder, more of a time sink, does not equate to epic. Epic would be introduced if the goals of the quest were changed to be more grandious and far reaching, not just amping up the dificulty of the enemy. You want epic, look at the Baulders Gate series, you start out as a lowly apprentice and eventually have to decide weather to accept your heritage as the new God of Death or to turn you back on said heritage.
    Last edited by Drakos; 03-04-2011 at 10:53 AM.

Community Member

Quote Originally Posted by TigrisMorte View Post

Interesting.

Oh btw i am in a permadeath at level elite only guild..no twink also btw...guildname Alpha Elite come on down and join us some time

You think this was easy? Let's see you try loading gems into baskets on your back while a bunch of lame adventurers run around trying to collect stolen gems instead of providing the protection they were hired to provide. Easy ... I think not.

Signed: A unionized kobold miner

Community Member

Community Member

Quote Originally Posted by Drakos View Post
    Actually, that doesn't remind me of any Epic quests in DDO either. The epic quests are the same quest as it was on H/N/E, just that the bad guys have many more HP and blanket immunities. That doesn't make them harder quests (specially not Epic), it just makes them take longer. Ant that's only if your group actually plays the quest rather than finding the quickes way to bypass the majority of the the quest and go streight to the end fight. Yeah, skipping 90% of a quest sure sounds epic to me.

Face it, the Epic quests in DDO are anything but epic. Harder, more of a time sink, does not equate to epic. Epic would be introduced if the goals of the quest were changed to be more grandious and far reaching, not just amping up the dificulty of the enemy. You want epic, look at the Baulders Gate series, you start out as a lowly apprentice and eventually have to decide weather to accept your heritage as the new God of Death or to turn you back on said heritage.
    Sigh* another person missing the point...Story lines of the epics ARE grandious,just because we are used to VON being a level 10 quest doesnt mean the idea wasnt epic, Battling a massive red dragon in a extraplanar vault..umm stopping the demon queen...halting a devil invasion..epic tales followed by epic HP..um Demon queen has how many HP? please dont even try and compare CC with any of those...and do we have to become Gods to be qualified as Epic for u? Epics arnt perfect..but giving so called EPIC gear for CC is a joke and the dousing rod deal was even more laughable...point is lets make the game harder not easier..ty

Community Member

I feel like I need to chime in.

I in fact loved it. Great event, much easier to manage than Mabar's (revisiting the special dragon's setup is a must), the items. Well it's true the gloves are an absolute must for all monks but that in no way sets the bar at being too good. Monks don't have a lot of gear and thanks to a few after thoughts tossed in over the last few years are finally seeing stuff without a ML18 requirement.

As for the other stuff being better than non-raid loot. *shurgs* You can farm GS ingredients at the rate of thirty uncompleted runs per day off from work for 104 days a year producing thousands of top gear equipment. Riads? one run per every three days or 121 times a year scoring 6 20th completions assuredly giving you all the top raid gear you want. CC offered it's self for a week so of course it had to be easier and not to mention the list of people that didn't get anything. In terms of power, *shrugs*. The trinkets, gloves for monks (only), and the epic spyglass are the only real good items. For instance, the scimitars fall short of Mineral II, the full-plate falls short of just using denith heavy chain + bracers of the demon's consort for temp hp and we all know ac is a joke making it a less hp in exchange for resistance choice.

As for the trinkets, well it is an annual event. Their rareness, or at least option to farm, is far beyond anything else.

Quote Originally Posted by Micron View Post
    I'll bet my pants you keep repeating this to yourself while you run Epic VON1 or Epic Bargain.
    Only when I run EDQ2...but you hit the point
    Fizbanius The Project - Horlando The Fury - Fizbot The Tukaw's A-BOrT - Bhaltazhar The Arcane
    LEGION - Thelanis

Community Member GentlemanAndAScholar's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Westerner View Post
    Bring back the Cove. Tweak the loot. Chase Kobolds while saying "Yarrrr".
    It would be great if they add friendly fire against the kobolds. It would certainly make it a little more interesting.
    Coldflame | Toord and many horrible experiments.
    True Join Date: Circa mid 2007. Still a noob. My simple forum rules: http://pastebin.com/ftE2V1GG

Compliments-

Kobold dialog- AWESOMEly funny
    Union handbook- also funny and informative
    Gear- Also awesome. Now I can see playing in a PUG. When your team stays alive, you stay alive is my thought process.
    Refreshing. Good to see a little comedy thrown in. I liked the tweaks to the undead that made you have to think how to kill them. nice touch.
    Good resource management. Much less lag than the Mabar event.
    NPCs to kill- Nice having a range of bosses.

Possible changes

Make it where it takes a balanced party instead of favoring one class or another.
    Have a Gamer on the development team. A gamer knows what a gamer will exploit.
    Turn down the gear a smidge. While I like having easy gear, this was a little too easy.
    Try 4 or 5 level ranged areas. This way lowbies dont get slaughtered in the explorer areas.
    Make the events P2P- buy it or be VIP. Fewer hurt feeling about the ease of epic gear. Throw out 1 day passes to get people interested but after that, buy it or miss it.

Slaps-

Anyone whining- Awe... does it hurt your feelings that you been here so long and the noobs have gear that is comparable to yours without much work?
    I agree with grinding doesnt equal challenging. If grinding = challenging to you, get Diablo for PC, make a ton of toons, load it on 2 computers and then set out to get every rare in the game. Grinding the same quest 50 times with a character to get an item isnt fun to me. Especially when I finally do get an item and it's bound to character and Im on a toon that cant use it. Seriously- wake up and smell the favor Turbine did those of us who are tired of grinding out the same thing in our limited time to play. Repeating the same thing with lowsy result makes the game epically boring.
    Last edited by Xynot2; 03-04-2011 at 12:56 PM.

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast