Page 1 of 7 12345 ... LastLast

Default The Lifeguard: A Swimcleric build

Imagine you're a barbarian, and your Sprint Boost finds you in trouble while your cleric is on the far side of a lake. With a normal cleric, you're about to become a soulstone. With a Swimcleric, you are always safe.

Presenting the Warrior of the Waters, the Salvation of the Seas, the O-word of the Oceans, the Swimcleric. Presenting the Lifeguard.

** This is a joke build. I believe I heard someone, somewhere, mention the idea of a swimcleric. I can't find the original reference but randomly decided to go with it a week or so ago. It's entirely possible there was no original reference and I'm just imagining things. My general goal here was to take an idea that is completely absurd and try and make a functional build out of it. It's not supposed to be the best at anything (other than swimming), but it should be enough to function rather effectively from levels 1-20 (this is not meant for epics, though). I'm not sure if I'll get around to making this build, as I currently have way too many characters and too many divine casters, but I want to be ready in case I'm ever needed.

I have a few expectations of a Swimcleric that I needed to fit into an otherwise effective Cleric build.

The expectations of a Swimcleric:
    1. The Swimcleric should have max ranks in swim. Anything less and he belongs at the shallow end of the pool.
    1a. In conjunction with 1, the Swimcleric should have a level in a class with Swim as a class skill.
    2. The Swimcleric should have the ability associated with Swim (Strength) as his primary stat.
    3. The Swimcleric should always be prepared and able to cast both Water Breathing and Merfolk's Blessing as long as he has spell points.
    3a. Scroll usage is insufficient for either of the two above spells, so the Swimcleric must also have a level in a class with Merfolk's Blessing as a spell--he already has Water Breathing.
    3b. Merfolk's Blessing would be more powerful if cast by a level 20 arcane or ranger, but alas, such penalties are unavoidable for a Swimcleric. If he finds himself in a group with a high level character carrying these spells, he will be sure to benefit from their willingness to assist his swimming efforts.
    4. The Swimcleric should be able to assist drowning individuals by providing over-time healing while underwater.
    5. In terms of appearance, the Swimcleric should feature both a shaved head and a shaved face. Hair will only interfere with his swimming duties.

Given these expectations, the logical (if you permit me to use this word in this thread) choice for a build is an 18/1/1 Cleric/Fighter/Wizard Radiant Servant Battlecleric. Fighter provides Swim as a class skill as well as weapon proficiency and some synergy with the melee-focus of the build--and also nets the build an extra feat. Wizard provides Merfolk's Blessing as well as another extra feat (I considered Sorcerer here for the purpose of making up a little more lost SP and synergy with the Charisma focus of the build, but the extra feat was too good). The Battlecleric focus comes naturally from both the Fighter level and the high Strength necessary to boost Swim. And Radiant Servant is both of general use and functional in terms of support for drowning individuals.

In terms of abilities, this is a tough build. A Swimcleric first and foremost needs high Strength. After that, both Constitution (a dead Swimcleric just floats) and Charisma (more Radiant Servant, and more practically speaking, more Divine Might) are extremely important. Then there's Wisdom, which needs a boost for the purposes of actually being able to cast Cleric spells as well as for SP. Finally, an investment in Intelligence is necessary for the purpose of getting skill points--this build longs for skill points.

Honestly, I think the biggest problem with the build is that it'll have trouble getting into groups with the name and the class breakdown. My SP is a bit on the low side, but it's definitely manageable.

For your consideration:

Code:
    Character Plan by DDO Character Planner Version 3.8.0
    DDO Character Planner Home Page

Swimclerik the Swimming Cleric
    Level 20 True Neutral Human Male
    (1 Fighter \ 18 Cleric \ 1 Wizard) 
    Hit Points: 300
    Spell Points: 1238 
    BAB: 14\14\19\24
    Fortitude: 16
    Reflex: 6
    Will: 17

Starting          Feat/Enhancement
    Abilities        Base Stats          Modified Stats
    (32 Point)       (Level 1)             (Level 20)
    Strength             16                    22
    Dexterity             8                    10
    Constitution         14                    17
    Intelligence         12                    14
    Wisdom               14                    18
    Charisma             14                    18

Tomes Used
    +2 Tome of Strength used at level 7
    +2 Tome of Dexterity used at level 7
    +2 Tome of Constitution used at level 7
    +2 Tome of Intelligence used at level 7
    +2 Tome of Wisdom used at level 7
    +2 Tome of Charisma used at level 7

Starting          Feat/Enhancement
                     Base Skills         Modified Skills
    Skills           (Level 1)            (Level 20)
    Balance               1                     7
    Bluff                 2                     4
    Concentration         2                    26
    Diplomacy             2                     4
    Disable Device        n/a                   n/a
    Haggle                2                     4
    Heal                  2                     6
    Hide                 -1                     0
    Intimidate            2                     4
    Jump                  5                     8
    Listen                2                     4
    Move Silently        -1                     0
    Open Lock            n/a                    n/a
    Perform               n/a                   n/a
    Repair                1                     2
    Search                1                     2
    Spot                  2                     4
    Swim                  7                    30
    Tumble                0                     1
    Use Magic Device      4                    15

Level 1 (Fighter)
    Feat: (Fighter Bonus) Power Attack
    Feat: (Human Bonus) Toughness
    Feat: (Selected) Two Handed Fighting

Level 2 (Cleric)

Level 3 (Wizard)
    Feat: (Wizard Bonus) Empower Healing Spell
    Feat: (Selected) Extend Spell

Level 4 (Cleric)
    Ability Raise: STR

Level 5 (Cleric)

Level 6 (Cleric)
    Feat: (Selected) Quicken Spell

Level 7 (Cleric)

Level 8 (Cleric)

Level 9 (Cleric)
    Feat: (Selected) Improved Two Handed Fighting

Level 10 (Cleric)

Level 11 (Cleric)

Level 12 (Cleric)
    Ability Raise: CHA
    Feat: (Selected) Improved Critical: Slashing Weapons

Level 13 (Cleric)

Level 14 (Cleric)

Level 15 (Cleric)
    Feat: (Selected) Maximize Spell

Level 16 (Cleric)
    Ability Raise: CHA

Level 17 (Cleric)

Level 18 (Cleric)
    Feat: (Selected) Greater Two Handed Fighting

Level 19 (Cleric)

Level 20 (Cleric)
    Enhancement: Fighter Haste Boost I
    Enhancement: Cleric Radiant Servant I
    Enhancement: Cleric Radiant Servant II
    Enhancement: Unyielding Sovereignty
    Enhancement: Follower of the Sovereign Host
    Enhancement: Human Adaptability Strength I
    Enhancement: Human Greater Adaptability Constitution I
    Enhancement: Human Improved Recovery I
    Enhancement: Human Versatility I
    Enhancement: Human Versatility II
    Enhancement: Human Versatility III
    Enhancement: Human Versatility IV
    Enhancement: Racial Toughness I
    Enhancement: Racial Toughness II
    Enhancement: Racial Toughness III
    Enhancement: Improved Heal I
    Enhancement: Improved Heal II
    Enhancement: Improved Swim I
    Enhancement: Cleric Prayer of Life I
    Enhancement: Cleric Prayer of Incredible Life I
    Enhancement: Cleric Life Magic I
    Enhancement: Cleric Life Magic II
    Enhancement: Cleric Life Magic III
    Enhancement: Cleric Life Magic IV
    Enhancement: Cleric Energy of the Zealot I
    Enhancement: Cleric Energy of the Zealot II
    Enhancement: Cleric Wisdom I
    Enhancement: Cleric Wisdom II
    Enhancement: Fighter Toughness I
    Enhancement: Cleric Divine Might I
    Enhancement: Cleric Divine Might II
    Enhancement: Cleric Divine Might III
    Enhancement: Cleric Extra Turning I
    Enhancement: Cleric Improved Turning I
    Enhancement: Cleric Wand and Scroll Mastery I
    Enhancement: Cleric Wand and Scroll Mastery II
    Enhancement: Cleric Wand and Scroll Mastery III
    Enhancement: Cleric Wand and Scroll Mastery IV

Swim:
    23 Ranks
    11 Strength (16 base + 3 levels + 1 enhancement + 2 tome + 6 item + 3 exceptional + 1 guild ship buff)
    1 Enhancement
    15 Item (maybe only +13 here)
    10 Merfolk's Blessing
    4 Greater Heroism
    2 Good Luck
    6 Greensteel with Strength Skills (Triple Water, of course)
    5 Human Versatility
    1 Rage
    ----
    78 Swim (I truly hope Swim isn't capped like Jump)

HP:
    20 Heroic Durability
    158 levels
    140 CON 7 mod (14 base + 1 enhancement + 2 tome + 6 item + 1 guild ship buff)
    22 Toughness feat
    40 Enhancements
    30 Greater False Life
    20 Toughness item
    10 Draconic Vitality
    45 Green Steel
    ----
    485 HP
    Add a Rage pot to get to 505.

SP:
    80 Magical Training
    930 Level 18 Cleric
    50 Level 1 Wizard
    189 WIS 7 mod (14 base + 2 enhancements + 2 tome + 6 item)
    20 INT 1 mod
    50 Enhancements
    200 Archmagi
    150 Green Steel (not likely that I'll ever make this)
    ----
    1519-1669 SP

In terms of feats, the primary flaw is that the Lifeguard lacks Skill Focus: Swim and Athletic, which combined would provide a much-needed +5 to my Swim score (as well as a +2 to Balance, which is also useful). The best means for adding these two feats would be to drop the THF line, but I'm not sure that I'd be willing to do that. If I did drop the THF line, I could get those two as well as one other feat--Empower or Mental Toughness (I know, it's not all that great of a feat) are possibilities. If I did decide that I should get Mental Toughness, then I'd probably be better off going with Sorcerer anyway since I think the difference might be more than 105 Spell Points.

My vision for the future of Stormreach: a tasty ham in every treasure chest and a Swimcleric in every party.

** Yes, when people zerg out of range of the person keeping them walking, it's their fault. This is clearly not a healbot build. **

*chokes*

I know you said you hated me, but I didn't think you were actually going to try to kill me.

(And I'm fairly sure the "someone, somewhere" was actually you. There was some banter while waiting for one of the Sub raids to fill a couple of months ago, IIRC.)
    Maelyrra on Argonessen: Old-school MonkSoul (Elf Mnk2/FvS18/Epic 3)

Returning veteran ~ Casual player ~ Part-timer ~ Soloer

How could you forget Skill Focus: Swim?!?!?

78 Swim (I truly hope Swim isn't capped like Jump)

I just had visions of a cleric swimming around the harbor at break neck speeds and tales of mermaids being seen.

Your post made me laugh well done

That's hilarious.
    I don't have a zerging problem.

I'm zerging. That's YOUR problem.

What's to keep a true neutral swimcleric from just swimming next you and watching you drown? At least occasionally. If he feels no need to do good he would have to be getting paid to save lives in order to be trusted.

I notice you use Fighter for the Swim Skill, and Wizard for the Merfolks.

Just wanted to toss it out there that Bard has Swim as a Class Skill, as well as access to the Spell Merfolk's Blessing @ Level 1.

Swimclerik the Swimming Cleric now exists on Khyber. The name is ridiculously long which means I'm sure to get noticed if I keep playing the character.

Quote Originally Posted by Orratti View Post
    What's to keep a true neutral swimcleric from just swimming next you and watching you drown? At least occasionally. If he feels no need to do good he would have to be getting paid to save lives in order to be trusted.
    It is perhaps true that a Swimcleric should be a bastion of good. Although I have made a Swimcleric prototype as mentioned above, I will take this into consideration as a possible change.

Quote Originally Posted by TheDearLeader View Post

Just wanted to toss it out there that Bard has Swim as a Class Skill, as well as access to the Spell Merfolk's Blessing @ Level 1.
    I actually didn't know that! I admit that I don't know much about bard spells.

I still think I like the Fighter for the sake of the melee weapon proficiencies and the extra feats, although I imagine one could make a very functional Warforged Cleric/Bard Lifeguard with Greatsword as a weapon choice. While the possibility of a deeper splash for proficiency is out there, I'd prefer to keep Mass Heal.

And I do think I might need to add at least one of Skill Focus: Swim or Athletic. It just feels wrong without it. With either or both, I could break 80 Swim. This sort of power corrupts!

Quote Originally Posted by Iwinbyrollup View Post

And I do think I might need to add at least one of Skill Focus: Swim or Athletic. It just feels wrong without it. With either or both, I could break 80 Swim. This sort of power corrupts!
    Imagine how fast you will fly in the Reaver's Fate (Fly is increased by swim speed).
    I don't have a zerging problem.

I'm zerging. That's YOUR problem.

Community Member

I now have to make my own, it'll be a human with a big nose, I shall name him M.Phelps
    You LuhhV'me and You Know it.
    Ghallanda

Quote Originally Posted by sirgog View Post
    Imagine how fast you will fly in the Reaver's Fate (Fly is increased by swim speed).
    SUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUPPPPPPPPPPEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEERRR RRRRRRRRRRRdwarf!

Quote Originally Posted by Orratti View Post
    If he feels no need to do good he would have to be getting paid to save lives in order to be trusted.
    It is my understanding that there are some people who are not swimclerics who operate under such principles.

>.>

Also, if Merfolk's is useful in Reaver, I can never cast it there again.
    Last edited by Furare; 02-20-2011 at 10:06 PM.
    Maelyrra on Argonessen: Old-school MonkSoul (Elf Mnk2/FvS18/Epic 3)

Returning veteran ~ Casual player ~ Part-timer ~ Soloer

Now I NEED to level this character up.

In terms of the build, there are a few possible changes one could make. First off, I already mentioned the Sorcerer possibility. The Sorcerer option would gain 100 SP over the Wizard from the higher base SP and the higher Charisma compared to Intelligence (and a tiny bit more due to the increase from Archmagi, but I don't know how this is calculated--just that it's a small percentage of the total extra 200 a pure Sorcerer would get). This option would also lose one feat, but one could then drop the THF line and add Athletic and Skill Focus: Swim (two sadly-lacking feats in the original build) for a maximum swim over 80.

Alternatively, one could make a "Lifebard" build using the 19 Cleric/1 Bard breakdown noted by TheDearLeader. This build gets 50 SP over the original build due to Charisma, but loses two feats; again, drop the THF line and add either Skill Focus: Swim or Athletic. Generally, Skill Focus: Swim gets you more bang for you buck on a build like this (+3 versus +2) but being athletic seems important for a Swimcleric so I'd be tempted to go that route. I briefly considered an 18 Cleric/2 Bard breakdown for the Inspire Competence song, but had forgotten that the Swimcleric wouldn't be able to use the song on himself.

Of course, if you find yourself in a party with a bard (say, if you're running Hound), try to get them to sing you an Inspire Competence song. That extra +2 to your Swim score will really make a difference.

The Hatchery
    2014 & 2016 DDO Players Council

OMG, you mean my gimpy staff rogue with full ranks in swim has to do the lever there now? Oh, noes, I thought I'd made the perfect piking toon. Drat.

Quote Originally Posted by TheDearLeader View Post

Beat me to it.

BUT OP...seriously +1, and you owe me money for a new keyboard at work and a new cup of coffee.
    -Khyber- Loreseekers, Guild Leader
    Hordorabbi ~ Hordiva ~ Hordazzle ~ Hordorc ~ Hordeau ~ And dozens of other HordoToons™!
    High Rabbi of DDO
    Loreseekers Guild ~ H.o.r.d.o.'s How-To Guides @Loreseekers

Quote Originally Posted by Hordo View Post
    Beat me to it.

BUT OP...seriously +1, and you owe me money for a new keyboard at work and a new cup of coffee.
    So I have two questions...

Would he swim faster than he runs?

Have you solved the issue of not being able to cast heal spells underwater to save drowning party members?

Fantastic post, OP. I'm wiping off the coffee I spewed all over the computer screen when I read the post.

better get a bubble belt, the mass waterbreathing clickie is good for saving drowning party members.

Quote Originally Posted by thewalex View Post
    So I have two questions...

Would he swim faster than he runs?

Have you solved the issue of not being able to cast heal spells underwater to save drowning party members?

Fantastic post, OP. I'm wiping off the coffee I spewed all over the computer screen when I read the post.
    I think the Radiant Servant takes care of the healing underwater for his build.

Hmmm...swim faster than runs...I'd love an update on that as well OP!
    -Khyber- Loreseekers, Guild Leader
    Hordorabbi ~ Hordiva ~ Hordazzle ~ Hordorc ~ Hordeau ~ And dozens of other HordoToons™!
    High Rabbi of DDO
    Loreseekers Guild ~ H.o.r.d.o.'s How-To Guides @Loreseekers

The Radiant Servant Aura is meant to deal with healing drowning individuals. I imagine the drowning speed is a little bit quicker than the Aura recovery, but it's meant to be a temporary support for a drowning individual while working to get them out of water rather than a near-permanent solution to let them sit on the bottom of the ocean.

As for swim versus run speed, I was wondering about that too, actually. Most of my characters do the dolphin leap where I more or less jump across the surface of the water to avoid swimming. I've already determined that this would probably be hurting my movement speed on this build. Now we just have to see whether I'd be better off swimming than running...just from swimming around with a swim score of 30, I get the impression that I will be faster in than out of water, although I don't recall offhand if Haste increases swim speed as well as run speed. But yes, he's already pretty darn fast. I think he's currently faster in the water than on land, but that's without striders or Haste.

And my buffed swim at level 4 is 30--that's with a +1 guild ship buff to strength (odd due to the level 4 ability increase), a pair of +3 swim boots I bought off the AH for 20 plat, Merfolk's Blessing with the Wizard Veteran robe (Arcane Augmentation to cast Merfolk's as a level 2 arcane, which gives +11 to Swim rather than +10), and Human Versatility Skills Boost II.

Page 1 of 7 12345 ... LastLast