Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Exclamation Wall of Fire - Critical hit Issue

Hi,

First of all, I know that since U7 there are some threads about it, but I have some data to confirm my point.
    Some days ago when I was farming epic scrolls on OOB I noticed (again) that my Wall of Fire was not "criticing" as expected. I thought it would be because I was running all the time and could not see many numbers, so I decided to test it with no running. I did it, appeared normal, about one critical on six hits. But it was not enough to me, then I started to collect some data.

My character:
    Wizard level 20, I had the enhancement Wizard Lineage of elements III (9%) and a Major Fire lore item (9%)

The method:
    I did two measures, called Moving and Standing.

Moving - In the first room of OOB, putting two Wall of fire (not overplaced) and running in circles.

Standing - In the same room, I pulled the scorpions and jumped in a safe place. I a Threw a Wall of fire and watched.

When finished, I counted the regular hits and criticals hits from my combat log. I ignored the "(Combat): Spell Crit! Your Wall of Fire has greater effect!" with no result, counted only the numbers.

Numbers:
    Moving
    2036 hits - 89 criticals: 4,3%

Standing
    2062 hits - 349 criticals: 16,9%

My conclusion:
    The first tick of Wall of fire is not working properly. When a monster is moving, it constantly go out and back on AoE, reseting it status.
    Of course, it can be another thing, but I think it is already a good point to the Devs check if it is really working correctly.

Miscellaneous:
    488 scorpions killed
    4 epic scrolls dropped, no one worthy of mention.
    Last edited by BruxaDo71; 01-05-2011 at 10:00 PM.

Excellent report.

Thank you for this.

I am sure DDO is full of bugs and little things like this. Good thing someone is ready to do some field testing to reveal them.

Yes, every time (specially after an update) I think something is wrong, but I can't check it by myself all the time haha.

Btw I was trying to submit a bug, but after downgrade to premium I cant submit anymore

Quote Originally Posted by BruxaDo71 View Post
    Numbers:
    Moving

Standing

Miscellaneous:
    488 scorpions killed
    If in both cases
    - you've killed the same amount of monsters
    - and it was the same difficulty
    then your numbers are strange, because if you did more criticals then you should have killed them faster and thus make less hits, but you did similar amount of hits?
    Loot Design, S/S/S system, TR Cache Button, The exact trap DCs in EE HH, A guide for DDO-ML, Unknown Heroes: 3rd place, Welcome to Orien: /joinchannel Titan
    Quote Originally Posted by Certon View Post
    This is the most perfect suggestion in the history of suggestions, and it is full of upsides for both players and servers.

Community Member

Quote Originally Posted by TheRobai View Post
    If in both cases
    then your numbers are strange, because if you did more criticals then you should have killed them faster and thus make less hits, but you did similar amount of hits?

They respawn.

Excellent post, thanks. I've noticed, anecdotally, that my WoF doesn't crit anywhere near as often as it
    should given an 18% crit chance. Perhaps this is the reason...

To me it feels like spells don't crit at all anymore. It's certainly nowhere near as noticeable.
    Really not a fan of this new system...

Quote Originally Posted by knockcocker View Post
    Really not a fan of this new system...
    I do like the new system. It's better. No need to fish for crit fws anymore.

This kind of bugs just need to be handled.

Quote Originally Posted by Templarion View Post
    I do like the new system. It's better. No need to fish for crit fws anymore.

This kind of bugs just need to be handled.
    It's _possibly_ better for DOT spells (if these observations in the OP are just erratics and the actual crits average
    out at 18%). It's a nerf for instantaneous AOE such as DBF, CoC, CL etc. You no longer get the chance to
    wipe out an entire group of mobs with a critical cast. It's a real pain for a solo arcane and increases dependence
    on WoF. IMO, the last thing they needed to do was increase dependence on the single most overused arcane
    spell in the game.

Quote Originally Posted by TheRobai View Post
    If in both cases
    Yes, in both cases I did in the same difficult (epic), and of course, I killed more monsters on second case (Standing) but it no matter. As I said, I've counted only the numbers from my combat log, hits are always hits, no matter if the monster die fast or slow.

By the way, I managed to report a bug via website. Someone from QA sent me PM, they told me they are looking for it

About this critical hit system, I prefer this way, since it work correctily.

Quote Originally Posted by BruxaDo71 View Post
    Hi,

First of all, I know that since U7 there are some threads about it, but I have some data to confirm my point.
    Some days ago when I was farming epic scrolls on OOB I noticed (again) that my Wall of Fire was not "criticing" as expected. I thought it would be because I was running all the time and could not see many numbers, so I decided to test it with no running. I did it, appeared normal, about one critical on six hits. But it was not enough to me, then I started to collect some data.

My character:
    Wizard level 20, I had the enhancement Wizard Lineage of elements III (9%) and a Major Fire lore item (9%)

The method:
    I did two measures, called Moving and Standing.

Moving - In the first room of OOB, putting two Wall of fire (not overplaced) and running in circles.

Standing - In the same room, I pulled the scorpions and jumped in a safe place. I a Threw a Wall of fire and watched.

When finished, I counted the regular hits and criticals hits from my combat log. I ignored the "(Combat): Spell Crit! Your Wall of Fire has greater effect!" with no result, counted only the numbers.

Numbers:
    Moving

Standing

My conclusion:
    The first tick of Wall of fire is not working properly. When a monster is moving, it constantly go out and back on AoE, reseting it status.
    Of course, it can be another thing, but I think it is already a good point to the Devs check if it is really working correctly.

Miscellaneous:
    488 scorpions killed
    +1 for gathering all this data and making it easy to track the bug...

Quote Originally Posted by Phax View Post
    Just looked into this and this is a bug. Crits do not get rolled on initial damage (entering the WoF), but will on all subsequent damage.

I'll be fixing this and I'd expect the fix will be in the next patch/update.
    ... and +1 for fixing it quickly

So, while you guys are fixing firewalley things, any chance you guys can make it so 2 firewalls from 2 different casters stack? please?
    Devs: Thanks for making Druids available to VIPs without the pack. This more than anything, has made me want to buy the pack.