Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Unhappy Grease is a bad joke :(

But why, Grease is fun right? Wrong! Grease is negative haste, and as much as players love haste, they should hate grease.

Grease. Currently, the only thing its good at is griefing party/raid members. It is one of the few remaining "friendly-fire" spells left, but sense DDO doesn't really do friendly-fire (Firewall dance anyone?), it seems like Grease is a bit out of place in terms of how it functions in DDO.

Grease, as many are aware, forces everyone in the AOE to save or fall, really slowing down party movement, and disabling jumping in the process. Sense movement is extremely important in DDO, it makes this spell an awful choice to use, in every situation.

That being said, I want to like grease, I really do, but as it currently stands, I just can't. The fact that Grease does more damage to my party then most mob pulls prevents me from ever daring to lay down the oily black slide of doom.

Grease could be so useful, and it should be, as it is the first-tier spell-like ability for Conjuration speced archmages.

So, how do we turn nasty old Grease into the awesome CC that it could be?

1) Grease should only effect enemies. That way, it does more good than harm, which is unfortunately not the case now

2) Allow Grease to be effected by Heighten. If the "friendly-fire" version of Grease is replaced by the party-friendly version I suggest, there is no reason me to deny me my +9 DC Grease

Those 2 above suggestions would greatly improve Grease, and give players one less reason to rage-quit groups

What do people think? Good idea, bad idea? Reasonable? Anyone have an suggestions? Don't be shy...

Community Member Frostwhisperer's Avatar

Grease is a party buff!

But I agree. It shouldn't be friendly fire. It's fun to do with friends, but t just screams grieving
    My mom told me to become a warforged sorcerer. But did I listen? Noooooooooooooo

NTY, it's too useful to see who does NOT have FoM when I am on my cleric. If they start sliding, I cast FoM on them.
    Quote Originally Posted by Philam View Post
    I nominate you as head developer of DDO!
    Quote Originally Posted by FlimsyFirewood View Post
    That tears it. I need to get a donkey.
    Concentrated power is the enemy of liberty - Ronald Reagan

Grease has no current use in the game, except as a joke spell. In fact, it seems a little odd for turbine to put the work into creating a spell that has no use in the game, but I guess thats the case with a lot of DnD spells e.g. Death to Undeath, Symbol of Stunning etc etc.

If they were to change it to become enemy-only and heightenable, it would probably become more useful than web due to the way grease works. Both are reflex saves but you make a save for any movement in a grease, whereas web only has a save when you enter it, or re-enter it. Grease is also a larger AoE.

I disagree on the humour aspect though. An extended grease on the spike trap just above the ladder in von5, along with selectively dancing peeps as they cross the spikes can be hugely entertaining.
    Some toons with Cow in the name, and some without.

Its functioned this way for 4 years and I think I can speak for all vets when i say "Grease stays!"
    Sarlona-
    Grimbite Goblin Muncher, King of Storm Cleave.

I think its actually quite a good one...
    Dinosaur.

Community Member Culver.Civello's Avatar

Grease is Grease. I wouldn't have it any other way.

Besides...even if it didn't effect your party members, it is practically useless...or at least there are better spells to memorize. No one would no longer buy my over abundance of grease clickies on the AH for a good laugh or ever bother with the spell if it didn't effect party members. xD
    Last edited by Culver.Civello; 12-24-2010 at 05:03 PM.

Community Member

Yes it stays and when used in a roleplaying setting it is usefull, the whole group just needs to know what tatics you are using and not to enter the grease. There are other aspects to this game besides the end game and pug groups and a DPS build doesn't always have to run in and hack and slash let the rangers and casters have some fun also. Grease should be able to be heighten.

Community Member

I dont know i think it works wonders against constructs..

AS for everyone elses

Bah hubug onto you....

I have ran grease with extend on a sorc painting en entire floor with grease...

Sorry that you cant aim

Default laugh a little

Grease is awesome.

Lighten up and laugh a little

sheeesh.......

How else are we supposed to stop runaway kiters?
    Khyber: Runforr 13/6/1 Rog/Ftr/Mnk, Bakup 3/3/1 Mnk/Pal/Rog (TR Pal), Faylah 14 Mnk (TR Mnk), Janthyra 12/7/1 Brb/Rog/Ftr, Ainbthech 20 Sor, Fliethas 18/2 Fvs/Mnk, Unfilled 12/6/2 Mnk/Rgr/Ftr, Arcanemark 10 Wiz "Don't eat us dragon! We're like you, but smaller. And fly worse." - Kobold Crewman on the Heart of Wind

I had my most fulfilling grease experience today.

While waiting on the 6th person to get to entrance of Ritual Sacrifice, I laid down some grease at the quest entrance and dumped the 4 people standing there over the edge.

It was awesome.

Quote Originally Posted by Astraghal View Post
    I had my most fulfilling grease experience today.

While waiting on the 6th person to get to entrance of Ritual Sacrifice, I laid down some grease at the quest entrance and dumped the 4 people standing there over the edge.

It was awesome.
    I did that in an Epic OOB, played a lvl 20 i hadnt played in awhile and found my FOM boots and 6 clickies of grease... lets just say we all had to run back out with tears in our eyes.
    Sarlona-
    Grimbite Goblin Muncher, King of Storm Cleave.

Grease is a party buff

Don't really mind grease except when it's cast by a hireling right where I happen to be fighting.

Quote Originally Posted by RATRACE931 View Post
    I did that in an Epic OOB, played a lvl 20 i hadnt played in awhile and found my FOM boots and 6 clickies of grease... lets just say we all had to run back out with tears in our eyes.
    Dropping people off of Tempest Spine, into the traps in Von, traps in Rainbow in the dark etc etc and this is not for griefing. The most fun I'v had in DDO was playing with grease(at the right moments) with friends and guildies, its not about griefing its laughing at yourself.

Had a fun one where at the last portal in Shroud P1 I greased everyone and got about 5 melees to fall, we all had a great laugh about that.

/greasestays
    Quote Originally Posted by Lorien_the_First_One View Post
    D&D promotes gang activity? Ya, because when I meet a bunch of Crypts I obviously assume they are all D20 players.
    What a stupid ruling, we all know that D&D promotes satanism, not gangs.
    In-Game Eldgrim The Gray-FvS Life Now

I just wish the metal doggie pets wouldn't use it. Then I might actually take those enhancements.

Quote Originally Posted by rexservorum View Post
    I just wish the metal doggie pets wouldn't use it. Then I might actually take those enhancements.
    I agree with ya there, I would take the the enhancements if it would upgrade to that Dog that would shoot soundburst from its mouth from the Cookies last year.
    Quote Originally Posted by Lorien_the_First_One View Post
    D&D promotes gang activity? Ya, because when I meet a bunch of Crypts I obviously assume they are all D20 players.
    What a stupid ruling, we all know that D&D promotes satanism, not gangs.
    In-Game Eldgrim The Gray-FvS Life Now

Community Member Lorien_the_First_One's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by RATRACE931 View Post
    Its functioned this way for 4 years and I think I can speak for all vets when i say "Grease stays!"
    Actually I would vote to have grease changed to allow it to be heightened.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast