Default Directx 10 with XP for DDO

I currently run DDO on Windows XP. I don't have any interest in upgrading to Vista for Directx 10, but I understand Alky Project has produced a Directx 10 "hack" for Windows XP since Microsoft refuses to provide support for it for XP. I have been considering trying it out since I am not interested in upgrading my OS right now. I like XP perfectly well. Anyone have any experience using this and can tell me whether it improves or degrades your experience in any way?

please dont.

xp and any of the DX10 "Haxx" do not get along with each other. even after installing correctly, the one i used cause complete system meltdown forcing a format and reinstall.

and vista? what?

windows 7 is the way to go.
    Quote Originally Posted by Tolero View Post
    Hireling: "Oh god, you're in trouble!" *heal fail* "Oh god, you're still in trouble!!" *heal fail* "Nooooo I will save you!!!" *heal fail* etc. but to the player, it just looked like the hireling was standing there staring off into space. He's not staring...he's thinking...REALLY hard.

Hall of Famer
    2016 DDO Players Council

DX10 is not compatible with XP. there are no MS supported solutions to this. Even the Hacks arent supported anymore. not worth the time. Upgrade to Windows 7 or just stick with DX9.
    °º¤ø,¸¸,ø¤º°`°º¤ø,¸,ø¤°º¤ø,¸ ¸,ø¤º°`°º¤ø,¸A R C H A N G E L S °º¤ø,¸¸,ø¤º°`°º¤ø,¸,ø¤°º¤ø,¸ ¸,ø¤º°`°º¤ø,¸
    Thelanis

Alandael ~ Allendale ~ iForged ~ Roba ~ Sylon ~ Pokah ~ Keyanu ~ Wreckoning
    Quote Originally Posted by Severlin View Post
    We don't envision starting players with Starter Gear and zero knowledge playing on Hard or Elite.
    Sev~

Quote Originally Posted by samthedagger View Post
    I currently run DDO on Windows XP. I don't have any interest in upgrading to Vista for Directx 10, but I understand Alky Project has produced a Directx 10 "hack" for Windows XP since Microsoft refuses to provide support for it for XP. I have been considering trying it out since I am not interested in upgrading my OS right now. I like XP perfectly well. Anyone have any experience using this and can tell me whether it improves or degrades your experience in any way?
    I tried it and even after it was installed I could not choose DX10 as a graphics option in DDO.
    Quote Originally Posted by Philam View Post
    I nominate you as head developer of DDO!
    Quote Originally Posted by FlimsyFirewood View Post
    That tears it. I need to get a donkey.
    Concentrated power is the enemy of liberty - Ronald Reagan

Quote Originally Posted by Trillea View Post
    I tried it and even after it was installed I could not choose DX10 as a graphics option in DDO.
    I'd imagine you would need to uninstall and reinstall DDO after the dx10 hack.
    ===========

OP skip the hack. they never work out. If your willing to move to vista I'd suggest going right to 7. if you have a spare vista license and just want to use that go for it.

Vista got a bad rap early on with driver issues but it turned out to be a good OS. Too many people forgot how awful each of MS new OSes are when they come out. I got burned with win98 getting it early. Everyone "LOVES" XP now but forget how down right terrible it was when it came out.

MS did the right thing going beta with 7. It got me to upgrade and helped work out the early kinks that all their other OSes suffered from.
    Move along , Nothing to see here

Quote Originally Posted by t0r012 View Post
    Vista got a bad rap early on with driver issues but it turned out to be a good OS. Too many people forgot how awful each of MS new OSes are when they come out. I got burned with win98 getting it early. Everyone "LOVES" XP now but forget how down right terrible it was when it came out.
    I noticed how you completely ignored ME and 2000. (I've got less of an issue of 2000 being forgot given it was supposed to be more server/NT.)

I went from 3.11 to 98 (of which really, all 98 was, was 95 with a whole lot of fixes)
    From 98 to XP. (skipped ME which really was a POS, but XP was a cross of the 90s and NT/2000)
    And from XP to Win7. (Vista had a whole lot of issues of itself.)

Vista and Win7 have had equal amounts of driver issues (for different reasons), but the nagging is at least a lot better than it was.

I follow the same rule with Windows that I do with Star Trek movies. Skip every other one. I heard terrible things about Vista and never even had any intention of trying it. Windows 7 seems stable, but it would probably gobble up too many system resources for the box I am running to be worth it. I will just stick with XP on this system on avoid the hack. I didn't figure it would work out well but thought I would at least ask around. Sometime next year I will have the cash to rebuild my main system and put Win7 on that.

Quote Originally Posted by samthedagger View Post
    I follow the same rule with Windows that I do with Star Trek movies. Skip every other one..
    Lol I have the same rule!
    Quote Originally Posted by Vargouille View Post
    The best of the best DDO players generally overperform when given a real challenge
    Quote Originally Posted by Amundir View Post
    My words are great. Even out of context.

dx10 wont work with my w7 either. i dont know what the deal is. i have the DDO/LOTRO endorsed ATI card, and the client grinds to a halt. i can only use 9, and as far as im concerned, i'm ok with it. i'd rather take a bit of a texture loss than look really good on my back in lagdeth.
    you changed, bro...

Quote Originally Posted by Kominalito View Post
    dx10 wont work with my w7 either. i dont know what the deal is. i have the DDO/LOTRO endorsed ATI card, and the client grinds to a halt. i can only use 9, and as far as im concerned, i'm ok with it. i'd rather take a bit of a texture loss than look really good on my back in lagdeth.
    what card do you have? is it a DX10 card?

========================
    I noticed how you completely ignored ME and 2000. (I've got less of an issue of 2000 being forgot given it was supposed to be more server/NT.)
    didn't ignore just didn't mention. When 2K came out I was using NT. I never used ME , don't know why just never happened. I did have to support it at one of my jobs on 1 machine. A small company and the owner went out and bout the PC without asking me first for input or my opinion. That was the worst MS OS I ever dealt with and soon had him buy a new OS for it.

but what I said still stands true, most people forget how awful and buggy XP was when it came out and it turned out O.K.
    Vista got a bad rap for early driver issues which was more a fault of the device makers than the OS. I had a vista laptop for quite some time that I got from a customer that was buying a macbook. It was rock solid. Granted I'm a bit more technically competent than your average person but I never had to get fancy to make anything work in vista just it just did.

So if you want DX10 and have vista use it , it isn't bad at all. If you need to buy a DX10 OS then by all means go Win7 over vista.
    Move along , Nothing to see here