Default Armor is ignored by Shadows/Ghosts?

It seems to me that armor (at least from shields) is ignored by various shadows.

For example, in The Chamber of Insanity or Tomb of the Shadow King using shield didn't give any noticeable result.

With Ghost touch Greatsword it was much easier to survive (because I killed them before they can touch me) than with Ghost touch Dwarfaxe + Shield, while in other quests of similar level I've got almost no damage when I was with shield (I mean melee damage here, i.e. monsters almost always misses, but fireballs still burn me of course ).

Maybe those Shadows/Ghosts have very high attack value?
    (which is similar to ignoring armor)

Please confirm or deny it.
    Loot Design, S/S/S system, TR Cache Button, The exact trap DCs in EE HH, A guide for DDO-ML, Unknown Heroes: 3rd place, Welcome to Orien: /joinchannel Titan
    Quote Originally Posted by Certon View Post
    This is the most perfect suggestion in the history of suggestions, and it is full of upsides for both players and servers.

Community Member

Quote Originally Posted by TheRobai View Post
    It seems to me that armor (at least from shields) is ignored by various shadows.

For example, in The Chamber of Insanity or Tomb of the Shadow King using shield didn't give any noticeable result.

With Ghost touch Greatsword it was much easier to survive (because I killed them before they can touch me) than with Ghost touch Dwarfaxe + Shield, while in other quests of similar level I've got almost no damage when I was with shield (I mean melee damage here, i.e. monsters almost always misses, but fireballs still burn me of course ).

Please confirm or deny it.
    yes, incorporeal creatures ignore any ac...
    Thelanis - Inferus Sus
    Keeper Refugee - Exclusively playing Warforged
    Nursing IsFutile (FvS) - Unorthodox Behaviour (Kensai) - Bigbofo (Warchanter) - Nukelear Blast (Sorc) - Jurugu Fleshbane (currently TRing) - Reviving IsCheaper (Radiant Blaster)

Thank you, now things are clear.
    Loot Design, S/S/S system, TR Cache Button, The exact trap DCs in EE HH, A guide for DDO-ML, Unknown Heroes: 3rd place, Welcome to Orien: /joinchannel Titan
    This is the most perfect suggestion in the history of suggestions, and it is full of upsides for both players and servers.

There's no such thing as touch attacks in DDO, which is how incorporeal undead attack. To compensate for this, Turbine gives them ridiculously high to-hit bonuses to simulate it.

They DO miss, but it takes substantial AC to get it to be reliable.
    Kobold sentient jewel still hate you.

Community Member

Quote Originally Posted by Matuse View Post
    There's no such thing as touch attacks in DDO, which is how incorporeal undead attack. To compensate for this, Turbine gives them ridiculously high to-hit bonuses to simulate it.

This is correct. Just wanted to chime in with confirmation, since this has been brought up and argued many times already.

Community Member NostalithilDarkstar's Avatar

no armor bonus but bonus like dodge and dex still count

Community Member

Quote Originally Posted by NostalithilDarkstar View Post
    no armor bonus but bonus like dodge and dex still count
    That is actually not true. As someone pointed out earlier unlike in PnP where the attacks should be incroporeal
    and thus bypass armor in DDO this is simulated by just giving incorporeal monsters insane to-hit numbers. Armor
    bonus still counts against them it's just that at level you would need really high ac to see any significant miss rate.

Quote Originally Posted by Matuse View Post

Another voice to concur with this statement.

Thank you all.

In other words, they are ghosts. Passing through things is what they do.
    Remember, there are no stupid questions, just stupid people. -Mrmrsmr Garrison