Thread: A New Age

Default A New Age

I have played DDO for a little while now and imo it is great. The range of classes and races are just awesome as well as the multitude of quests. The devs have recently become much more creative (ie the redfens and droaam chains), but there is a new generation of mmo coming out like Vindictus made by Nexon (aka Mabinogi Heroes). My question is, will DDO stay up with the new gen or become like Asheron's Call?

I think a new game engine would be great to enhance animations, graphics, etc. It is HUGE to say, "change how the game works," but it is better than becoming obsolete. Besides, devs have shown us that they CAN make great combat animations by giving us the monk class. Vindictus has combat animation, physics, etc that has just blown me away. But even though the combat is great, the game is not Dungeons and Dragons.

Maybe I'm being naive, but all I'm saying is make it even more epic.

Quote Originally Posted by jsm123 View Post
    But even though the combat is great, the game is not Dungeons and Dragons.
    There's your answer.
    Please split the class forums into REAL subcategories this is a jumbled mess.

Quote Originally Posted by Irinis View Post
    There's your answer.
    Not completely. DDO isn't exactly Dungeons and Dragons either, despite being based off of 3.5 edition rules.

Proud officer of Crate and Barrel Smashing, LLC

When I first heard about Vindictus, it looked really cool. I haven't played it yet, but from what I've seen, ALL it has are the cool graphics and physics.

I think I'd get bored in a week. DDO has way more depth, and I'd much rather the devs keep doing what they're doing than try to become more like stuff like Vindictus.

To develop a new engine would be a huge undertaking which would make it so the game isn't updated for at least 6 months (and probably a lot longer) while they worked on it.

Perhaps it's just me, but I don't care too much about the graphics. Gameplay is really what it's all about.
    The graphics might bring in players, but the gameplay gets them hooked. After playing for a month, I hardly see the great scenery or the nice animations anymore.

If they decide to shell out some major money to do some revamping I think the most important part should be bug fixing and rewriting the client. I played Guild Wars for 4 year, and even though that game is younger I noticed a lot less issues than with DDO.

Quote Originally Posted by jwdaniels View Post
    Not completely. DDO isn't exactly Dungeons and Dragons either, despite being based off of 3.5 edition rules.
    i understand DDO isn't exactly DnD but it still has the classes, races, and roll die like DnD with tweaks here and there.

Quote Originally Posted by Kirachan View Post
    Perhaps it's just me, but I don't care too much about the graphics. Gameplay is really what it's all about.
    The graphics might bring in players, but the gameplay gets them hooked. After playing for a month, I hardly see the great scenery or the nice animations anymore.

If they decide to shell out some major money to do some revamping I think the most important part should be bug fixing and rewriting the client. I played Guild Wars for 4 year, and even though that game is younger I noticed a lot less issues than with DDO.
    well you're right about the graphics part. im not so concerned about graphics as i am how the game plays. my laptop is unable to run great graphics anyway. what i really meant was the combat feel of the game. there are maybe 6 maximum attacks with any type of weapon (tempest III if im not mistaken?). there is no variation in combat. it's "hold down the left mouse button and click a couple of feat tactics here and there if you got em". The caster spells are really nice actually although i like seeing more flashiness. also (maybe off topic) why does armor make it where the enemy misses you more? shouldn't there be two types of defense? the kind where they miss you (most likely from dex and other stuff) and DR (from armor). it doesnt make sense is all (kindda eh). also, why is it so hard, even when you have a strong build, to kill trash mobs in higher level NORMAL quests by ones self. even now in chronoscope, the devils are very hard to kill on normal even at level. it makes the experience not so epic.

Quote Originally Posted by jsm123 View Post
    well you're right about the graphics part. im not so concerned about graphics as i am how the game plays. my laptop is unable to run great graphics anyway. what i really meant was the combat feel of the game. there are maybe 6 maximum attacks with any type of weapon (tempest III if im not mistaken?). there is no variation in combat. it's "hold down the left mouse button and click a couple of feat tactics here and there if you got em". The caster spells are really nice actually although i like seeing more flashiness. also (maybe off topic) why does armor make it where the enemy misses you more? shouldn't there be two types of defense? the kind where they miss you (most likely from dex and other stuff) and DR (from armor). it doesnt make sense is all (kindda eh). also, why is it so hard, even when you have a strong build, to kill trash mobs in higher level NORMAL quests by ones self. even now in chronoscope, the devils are very hard to kill on normal even at level. it makes the experience not so epic.
    Sounds like you want something besides Dungeons and Dragons.

Quote Originally Posted by The_Cataclysm View Post
    Sounds like you want something besides Dungeons and Dragons.
    maybe you are right. i HAVE looked for more mmo's (even P2P), but none stack up to what i want from an mmo. so far the closest i've found are DDO and Vindictus. merge those two together and BAM, a great mmo. oh, Vindictus doesn't get old as fast as you would think. the things you can do in combat changes and adds on constantly.

Quote Originally Posted by wonkey View Post
    When I first heard about Vindictus, it looked really cool. I haven't played it yet, but from what I've seen, ALL it has are the cool graphics and physics.

I think I'd get bored in a week. DDO has way more depth, and I'd much rather the devs keep doing what they're doing than try to become more like stuff like Vindictus.
    think of the combat like God of War with a little more. everyone loves GoW. even the boss fights are just as epic. but still. the class choice, race choice, story, etc just dont stack up.

Well, gameplay is a lot more subjective than graphics.
    I prefer the teamplay and tactic aspects of DDO, especially playing with my small static friends group. Of course you can also be the epic hero, singlehandedly destroying armies of foes, if you build for it. DDO is a lot more open about how you build your character, that most games, and with that also how you play it and the game.

I did like GoW too, but I don't see how it would work well in multiplayer. Or at a PC.

Quote Originally Posted by Kirachan View Post
    Well, gameplay is a lot more subjective than graphics.
    I prefer the teamplay and tactic aspects of DDO, especially playing with my small static friends group. Of course you can also be the epic hero, singlehandedly destroying armies of foes, if you build for it. DDO is a lot more open about how you build your character, that most games, and with that also how you play it and the game.

I did like GoW too, but I don't see how it would work well in multiplayer. Or at a PC.
    personally i dont see "tactic" aspects. all i see are "buff up, get as much dps, resists, etc as you can and go kill". sure there are SOME quests that need tactics like HoX but those are few and far between. i have tried plenty of builds that i thought could take at level normal mid and higher quests by himself. it just hasn't happened. im not saying i want to do the one man hero thing. i like needing rogues in quests and i understand healers are a necessity; i just dont like dying from trash mobs all the time. the red names are what you should have trouble with, not the devil/orthon/gnoll/ogre/troll trash mobs; they should be like bantha foder. ive generated at least 20 builds through the generator to get good ac, saves, and dps but there seems to be a lot of limitations in the way of making a truly good surviving build. if you have a build in mind that can, i would very much like to look at it. not Monster build plz.

Well, most PuGs don't use a lot of tactics or strategies, true. But since we shortman a lot of the quests we have to be a bit more careful then that, sometimes.

If you really have a lot of trouble with the trash mobs, perhaps you should use a bit more tactical approach too. Even my cleric or bard can kill some trash mobs without much problem.