Thread: Twitching

Default Twitching

Up till now something I only did when I've had too much coffee, lately I've been noticing that "LEARN TO TWITCH NOOB!" has become the standard response to any build using the THF feats. I understand the principle that is supposed to make twitching better to THF, i.e. by interrupting your attack chain you continually reset it to the first 2 attacks to get more swings per minute. While I remain sceptical of its overall effectiveness enough people advocate it that I had some questions:

1) Although I've seen some videos of THF twitching where it is clear that the attack rate is higher, these have been untargeted. Does anyone have a video where the twitcher is actually hitting something? Preferable not a portal, I'm curious as to how difficult twitching while staying on target is. I suspect it would only take a few missed blows for the twitching advantage to be negated.

2) For the people who do twitch, do you genuinely hold twitching to be superior to the THF feats, that is you wouldn't take any of them?

3) Is twitching still held to be better against multiple targets? What about the loss of glancing blows?

4) Is there anyone who has tried twitching and gone back to relying on THF feats?

Now about that coffee....
    Quote Originally Posted by Chai View Post
    DDO players dont ragequit. They ragejoin. Boycotting around these parts means play something as much as possible, then post that we hate it.

I twitch when it will reduce damage taken, otherwise with the thf updates it lowers dps output to twitch, it totally depends on the situation.
    The bird of Hermes is my name, Eating my wings to keep me tame.
    Thelanis
    Toons: Diclonius, Sempresno, Slitmuno, Slitmdos, Slitmtres, Skyfe, Calcatrix, Marcosias, Sumona, Tarokian, Etc.

Quote Originally Posted by sirdanile View Post
    I twitch when it will reduce damage taken, otherwise with the thf updates it lowers dps output to twitch, it totally depends on the situation.
    Incorrect.

If you make posts like this be prepared to back up your points with numbers.

I would like to see numbers either way.
    Glenalth Woodwalke ■ Preston the Ranger ■ Brisqoe the Dentist ■ Prescription Liberator
    AoK @ Argonnessen

Community Member

The devs said that THF will get a re-work in a future update (as TWF did) when they removed glances while moving.

The devs have stated that the collission detection calculations are 'costly' (in server performance).

The number of collission detection calculations required is reduced if you do not move (as previous results can be used).

Therefore twitching costs server resources (causes lag) and will (IMO) be nerfed again in the upcomming THF pass (assuming it ever comes....).

Quote Originally Posted by Consumer View Post
    Incorrect.

How do know it is incorrect for the OP in all situations?

Why do you not supply some numbers to back up your claim?

In any instance you need more than a 2 to hit Twitching is lower DPS (as your later attacks have higher to hit bonuses, will therefore hit with greater frequency and generate more DPS).
    Jesus saves but only Buddha makes incremental backups.

Visit my fighter build, there is more than enough numbers in it to get you started.

Quote Originally Posted by Consumer View Post
    Incorrect.

Ok, I won't go into numbers because frankly i'm lazy right now 'cause it's closing in on the holidays, however if you want to run through them for me please be my guest.
    Warforged thf barb w/ capstone and all 3 thf feats along with the full frenzied berserker and offhand proc lines.
    Uses a min II greataxe most of the time.

To the op: To extend my response I would like to say my melee fvs does not have the thf chain and relies on twitching, but my barbarian only twitches when it would increase his chances of survival, situations such as soloing or when whatever healer is low on mana. (though thats what my silver flame pots are for...)

I would not grab the thf chain if you can't fit it in for some reason, otherwise go for it and enjoy the benefits when they may apply.
    The bird of Hermes is my name, Eating my wings to keep me tame.
    Thelanis
    Toons: Diclonius, Sempresno, Slitmuno, Slitmdos, Slitmtres, Skyfe, Calcatrix, Marcosias, Sumona, Tarokian, Etc.

Thanks for the replies. Interesting that there is range of opinions on twitching vs. THF, which suggests to me that while there may be advantages to one or the other technique those probably only manifest themselves at the extreme edges of the performance envelope, and are likely situational. Of course part of being a good player is making sure the situation always suits you.

I think that's part of what keeps me interested in DDO, there are few clear 'optimals'*, even something as straight forward as DPS can lead to "vigorous" disagreements. If there was the 'best DPS build', 'best caster build', etc this game would be much duller.

*Not suggesting that some builds aren't better than others
    Last edited by Adalita; 12-22-2010 at 03:50 PM.
    Quote Originally Posted by Chai View Post
    DDO players dont ragequit. They ragejoin. Boycotting around these parts means play something as much as possible, then post that we hate it.