Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    2014 DDO Players Council

Default I'm Not Colourblind so why Can't I See?

I wiped a reaver's fate for the first time in *mumble* years.......

I couldn't tell the difference between red, orange, purple.........

Sure once you put them together it all makes sense but when you solving a puzzle that is timered you tend to try move a little quicker.......now the pips are great except instead of going, "blue blue blue", I'm counting dots. You know how fun it is to count dots when you on about 5 solutions and you have air ellies bouncing around, you can't see the other side of the skull on the wall properly to see if it's 2 dots or three...? Trying to remember if it's blue, green, orange, purple, red, yellow on the spins and which colour did I just spin to.....

I'm going to need a couple times to adjust to this but if it could be possible to brighten the colours up slightly, I won't complain......let's just say that I love that colourblind people get to participate, but what about us that use colours to solve? Maybe I've been doing it to long so I'm used to going on blues and what not, maybe it's because I didn't use 6-sided pip dice growing up instead preferring DnD with numbers on them. Maybe counting dots, their position and how many whites and blacks there are is just to much for me late at night.....

The colours are just a little to pale to be 100% sure I'm choosing the right one...When I put purple next to red they look obviously different but when I have a row of oranges I can't tell if they are in fact orange or red or purple.

Wiped the first go, 2nd go came close as I had to keep spinning to blue and then counting off from there...blue...green....orange....purple....red... .yellow......ok 2nd skull...blue....green......

I'm pathetic, I had pug members who might still post on the twit who wiped reavers, but hey....I like colour....and for those who disagree, I don't see you buying monochrome monitors :P

Could we get some brightness back? Maybe? Perhaps? Go to hell elitist pig?
    Don't let common sense stop you...
    Qualified Devil's Advocate ` Refugee Boldrei '06 / Keeper '09

Try quickly adjusting your monitors brightness and contrast set up just before starting the puzzle. You should see colors a little closer to what your used to with that.

Good luck and Happy Holidays!
    Dravun , Yocoba, Daivik, and so many more.
    Proud to serve the Imperial Assassins!
    Do not drink the awesome-sauce......One must BE the awesome-sauce.

Community Member

Quote Originally Posted by Rasczak View Post
    Go to hell elitist pig?
    i'd go with this
    Thelanis - Inferus Sus
    Keeper Refugee - Exclusively playing Warforged
    Nursing IsFutile (FvS) - Unorthodox Behaviour (Kensai) - Bigbofo (Warchanter) - Nukelear Blast (Sorc) - Jurugu Fleshbane (currently TRing) - Reviving IsCheaper (Radiant Blaster)

2014 DDO Players Council

Quote Originally Posted by blitzschlag View Post
    i'd go with this
    You need to send me flowers and buy me dinner before you get to say that to me

And what do German's know about colour anyway?

Community Member pseudomasochist's Avatar

I was just about to post about this problem. My first Reaver run post update 8 wiped because the solver couldn't differentiate the colors and I almost wiped a party just now for the same reason. Red looks just like purple and yellow just like orange on my screen and apparently other people's too. The previous colors weren't ever an issue in any party I've been in(Can't see colors? Let someone else do the puzzle.) but now everyone has to count dots while the clock's ticking on the entire world.

2014 DDO Players Council

Quote Originally Posted by pseudomasochist View Post
    I was just about to post about this problem. My first Reaver run post update 8 wiped because the solver couldn't differentiate the colors and I almost wiped a party just now for the same reason. Red looks just like purple and yellow just like orange on my screen and apparently other people's too. The previous colors weren't ever an issue in any party I've been in(Can't see colors? Let someone else do the puzzle.) but now everyone has to count dots while the clock's ticking on the entire world.
    Trouble is I've tried to get used it and I've had to take a shortcut to get it right. Trouble with my shortcut is I've been doing it for years so I know the order colours come in.

Changing screen settings to do one part of one raid is not an option. I am happy that they went with the pips method to help out colour-blind players, but surely they can do something similar using white dots with the full colour on skulls, or at least a switch to change between pips and colours.

The Hatchery
    2014 DDO Players Council

I agree, the new colors are terrible. Too hard to tell by color now.
    Author of Info Blue UI Skin (Really wish Turbine would update the skinning interface and enable all the new UI parts.)
    If you don't have an SSD, you should be using DDOPreload (fixes the slow first login issue)

Mabye you can use the symbols if you´re that blind, ran it yseterday and no problem at all (even thou Blafs couldn´t see **** bc he was to drunk but thats another story).

Hej välkommen.
    You don´t get more out of life then you put in to it.

its 'pretty' and you can go 'oooooh' and 'awwww' at them now.

but ya, the old colors were fine, why did u change. Add dots,sure, but why make it so they have this stupidly silly glare?(And thats what it is, make them all shiny and glowy, and all it does is cause 'glare' effect which makes no sense... turbine, why do you 'fix' things that are not broke, but won't fix things that ARE?)

Quote Originally Posted by AMDarkwolf View Post
    its 'pretty' and you can go 'oooooh' and 'awwww' at them now.

but ya, the old colors were fine, why did u change. Add dots,sure, but why make it so they have this stupidly silly glare?(And thats what it is, make them all shiny and glowy, and all it does is cause 'glare' effect which makes no sense... turbine, why do you 'fix' things that are not broke, but won't fix things that ARE?)
    WHy?! BC if they didn´t change the colors, the dots (for thoose color blind) wouldn´t be clear enough.
    You don´t get more out of life then you put in to it.

Community Member

To help everyone to be able play every aspect of game is nice and right. But doing that, by making in hard for others isnt.
    Why not make whole different color scheme, not only for reaver, but other quests too (like rainbow) and put one more checkbox in otions 'color blind' ?

Staggering
    Pale Fox

I'd rather have them remove the end puzzle thing as a whole or give us "dumb" people way more time to solve it.
    The getting down the Reaver part is hard enough (on level and without twinkys).

Stupid thing is, when playing mastermind I usually have it down in 4 or 5 turns and max 7 or 8 turns.
    When I'm down there I can't get it at all.

Community Member

The old colors were better. The dots are cool & all, but the new opaque-ish, flourescent, whatever those are colors are (much) harder to differentiante. Now I realize how much I liked the solid no-glow colors of days yore.

agreed I have struggled with the new colors.. idc if you even unrealisitically put the actual color words below the spinners or something..
    Starabelle McClean / Shamurai Daemon Slayer/Faithrune Justicar /
    Samuiree Kensai / Daviniti Soul Finder/ GRRONND HammerPain

15. 12-17-2010, 08:10 AM

This is pure ****. These new "colors" blow chunks. Put it back the way the way it was.

Yup saw it today, had problems in Reaver because of that. I don't see why adding a colorblind solution should automatically mess it up for non-colorblind people, but that's Turbine for you.
    Comfortably [d|n]umb

Weirdly / Annoyed of Khyber
    WanderLust EuroTrash

Quote Originally Posted by Rasczak View Post
    surely they can do something similar using white dots with the full colour on skulls.
    THIS. I love the pips, but I want my colours back!
    Please split the class forums into REAL subcategories this is a jumbled mess.

Community Member

Yeah the new colors suck...

How bout they just remove the puzzle? It's a joke anyway.

Maybe replace it with a set of 4-8 levers that must be pulled all at once... Put a stop to people soloing a raid. Which is something they seem to have a problem with anyway.

Community Member

I also found it odd that the attempt to make it more friendly to colour blind people made the colours harder to distinguish. I wondered if the less pronounced difference actually helps and I'm ignorant of it, or whether someone just took the opportunity to pretty it up a bit.

It settled for me on the first solve so I've no complaints really, just here to agree it did seem clearer before.

Community Member Dozen_Black_Roses's Avatar

I agree, please change the colors back. Keep the dots for colorblind folks, which I'm sure is appreciated by them, but change our colours back. It would be one thing if you picked completely different colors that colorblind folks can see, but to my knowledge if a colorblind person can't see pink for example, changing it's shade/hue/etc. isn't going to make it any clearer to them. Last night in our reaver, I was glad I was not solving, as I was having a really hard time telling what the colors were because of this, and normally I like doing the puzzle in my head without the solver. Think Ill rely on the solver from now on just to minimize any delay as I am already going to have some problems with distinguishing the colors.
    Shogyo Mujo (Nothing lasts forever and everything must change).
    @>---Fuhgly, Suzee, Blohnde, Shakkei, Redhawt, Sanctified, Punkrawk, Gaelsong, Deviliscious, Liethal----<@

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast