The Hatchery
    2014 DDO Players Council

Default Chest ransack mechanics

Amongst the arguing, there were some nice tests and questions posted in this thread.

Thought I'd do my own testing and post the results.

My test:
    1. Dualbox 2 characters to ransack mindflayer chest in Giant Hold (Stormeye teleport, run to top, kill flayer, pick chest, recall, reform, repeat).
    2. First character (A) opened the chest 5 times per run, but never looted.
    3. Other character (B) opened the chest once and looted, did not re-open chest.

Results:
    Runs 1-7: Relics listed for both characters, no ransack warnings.
    Run 8: Relics listed for both characters, Character A saw ransack warning on chest re-open, but relic remained listed in chest (did not disappear from chest when warning was displayed).
    Run 9: No relics listed for either character, both saw ransack warning on first open of chest.

So, this agrees with the tests in the other thread.

1. Ransack appears after 8 openings of a chest (not the accepted 7)
    2. Re-opening of chest on same run does not make the ransack happen sooner
    3. Re-opening of chest on 8th run to show ransack warning will not remove named loot from the chest

Accordingly, I have updated the wiki.
    Author of Info Blue UI Skin (Really wish Turbine would update the skinning interface and enable all the new UI parts.)
    If you don't have an SSD, you should be using DDOPreload (fixes the slow first login issue)

Edited: Technically, the end chest in Monestary might be static, thus it may be immune to sacking, so I will rephrase this:

Monestary secondary chest (and end reward list) did not sack until 9. So the amount needed to sack may vary between content packs/areas/quests.

Setting a firm number on the amount required for ransack is probably a mistake. The rest of your findings do not surprise me, however.
    Last edited by Delt; 12-11-2010 at 04:21 PM.

The Hatchery
    2014 DDO Players Council

Quote Originally Posted by Delt View Post
    Monestary secondary chest (and end reward list) did not sack until 9.
    The 9th looting was ransack, or the 9th looting was normal and showed the ransack warning on re-open (so 10th would have been ransack)?

If the 9th looting was the first ransack warning, then your test agrees with mine (8 non-ransack lootings before ransack on 9th looting).
    Author of Info Blue UI Skin (Really wish Turbine would update the skinning interface and enable all the new UI parts.)
    If you don't have an SSD, you should be using DDOPreload (fixes the slow first login issue)

Quote Originally Posted by Backley View Post
    The 9th looting was ransack, or the 9th looting was normal and showed the ransack warning on re-open (so 10th would have been ransack)?

If the 9th looting was the first ransack warning, then your test agrees with mine (8 non-ransack lootings before ransack on 9th looting).
    Ah, I suppose I may have read it wrong. Ransack was on the 9th run for me (with the erroneous sack message on the extra click on the 8th run). In other words, no runes dropped on the 9th run.

If that conforms with your results, sounds good.

It was actually the main chest that through me off more than anything. I wasn't aware static chests never sacked.

Thank you for testing and updating the wiki. +rep.
    DDOwiki.com, #1 source for DDO information.

End chests in Litany for the 4 bosses all give the ransack warning on the 7th opening. I've run this quest nearly 200 times for pages, so I'm 100% certain of this number. The Black Dragon chest at the "end" of the quest takes more. I believe it ransacks on opening #10, but I'm not completely sure on that one since I don't keep specific track like I do on the boss chests...but I do know I can ransack a boss without ransacking that one.

I've never gotten a page on the ransack opening, but that doesn't mean much since pages are so stupidly rare in the first place.
    Kobold sentient jewel still hate you.