Default PVP Needs a Change?

The large number of posts lately that request nerfs of abilities/class/race in favor of PVP content has proven a tad worrisome. Granted, these posts have been made by a select handful of very vocal players but their names will remain undisclosed due to their clearly young age.

Now normally I would not care about what goes on in the forums but I encountered a rather bizarre conversation in the Harbor recently. It went something like this:

PVPer A: ZOMG!!! The devs are the buffing the drowz!!!
    PVPer B: LOL!!! Say whut!?
    PVPer A: LOL!!! They are getting a spell res of likes 30s!!lol!!!
    PVPer B: OMFG!!! THat’s the brokenzor! No ones can beatz thatz! Lol!!!
    PVPer A: I NOES!!! Nowz Drow huntardz and Mechanicz Rogues will dominatez! pew pew pew!!!
    PVPer B: LOL!! Tehy are sos borkenz! Drows are teh OP!!! They needs a nerfs!!!
    PVPer A: Defiantlyz!!! I'mz a gonna emailz the devs!!! Theyz arz killing PVP!!!

I kid you not. Now… I can not remember the last time I heard anyone call a Drow OP. For that matter, I can not remember the last time I heard someone call a Ranger or a Rogue (let alone a Mechanic Rogue) OP. Well it is a good thing that I’m an Assassin Drow Rogue or else I would be absolutely game breaking. >.>

Naturally, I found such views of the PVPers to be completely absurd and I am firmly among the player base that does not wish to change anything in PVE to accommodate for PVP (not to mention the fact that Drow should have always had their SR based on level and they are still a sub-par race with it). Yet despite how much I would like to see PVP removed entirely from DDO I will concede that there is a certain amount of players that do enjoy it as a time killer or a way to test out builds/gear. Taking that into account, perhaps it is time for Turbine to radically redo the PVP system in DDO (after they, of course, introduce Druids and finish releasing the new high level content they have promised us)

So here’s an idea of how to change/improve PVP…

Let’s remove PVP entirely from the rest of the game and have it exist only in two forms. The first is a training room on guild airships where players can test out gear/builds against other players from their own guild. That way it is entirely segregated from the other player base and occurs in a controlled environment with friends.

The second, dominating form is its own separate instance accessed via the harbor. We can call it “Scrub Sewer” and it will, of course, have it’s own chat channel ect...

We’ll even throw the die-hard, 8 hour straight PVP players that make up 0.02% of the DDO player base a bone by addressing all the PVP balance issues in one stroke! All players that enter “Scrub Sewer” become frozen as level 1 Kobolds with the same stats, HP, gear and abilities. Thus, everyone is exactly alike and perfectly balanced. (you know… like World of Warcrap!) There can even be a reward in the form of “epeen tokens” that you can collect from engaging in PVP. Granted, these tokens will have absolutely no real benefit in the game aside from bragging over how many you have.

At first the PVP area will be a general free-for-all in a sewer laden with random traps and invincible gelatinous cubes that are always on the move. However, I could see potential for later updates that include objective areas like:

Capture the Ooze: Team based PVP like capture the flag but its an ooze!

Spider’s Den: Two teams compete to collect as many spider eggs as they can while being hounding by giant spiders and dodging nefarious web traps!

Nub of the Hill: A FFA where players climb a mountain of garbage and try to stay on top of it for as long as they can!

So there you have it! Make PVP in DDO about a bunch of level 1 kobolds running around a private sewer yelling “yark yark” while beating on one another with sticks.

Am I being sarcastic or serious? Not even I know the answer to that! Then again perhaps we should just leave PVP alone and continue to focus on PVE content? Yeah, that idea sounds pretty good too.
    Last edited by Scherwiz2; 11-16-2010 at 02:28 PM.
    Pirating's much more my style.

Oh dear gods..don't let H4x see this
    "I've a suggestion to keep you all occupied...
    Learn to swim..."

"This body holding me reminds me of my own mortality
    Embrace this moment, remember, we are eternal
    All this pain is an illusion"

Quote Originally Posted by Scherwiz2 View Post
    PVPer A: I NOES!!! Nowz Drow huntardz and Mechanicz Rogues will dominatez! pew pew pew!!!
    This is the dumbest conversation ever! PVP should never be mentioned. It only spikes the interest of those aformentioned in your op to make more "suggestions."

Quote Originally Posted by Scherwiz2 View Post
    Sounds like two drunken Kobolds more than a conversation between two players.

My stance on PvP is this:
    PvP is a fun way to socialize in this game and kill some time between questing.
    Its obiviously not a main focus in this game and should not be a platform for testing if an item or character race is too powerful.

I like this thread.
    Sarlona: Riyana | Ilyrae | Elaeria | Arlayh | Aryis | Lyanis | Yaera | Kyilsi | Malitae | Niariel | Laeriya
    'Polluting Sarlona with gimpy elves since 2009.'
    Endgame

Community Member

And there's why we have pvp still. Some dev or mod around here loves it. Maybe for the pvp. Maybe for the drama it spawns...

Quote Originally Posted by fuzzy1guy View Post
    And there's why we have pvp still. Some dev or mod around here loves it. Maybe for the pvp. Maybe for the drama it spawns...
    i think theres truth to this.
    you changed, bro...

Quote Originally Posted by markusthelion View Post
    This is the dumbest conversation ever! PVP should never be mentioned. It only spikes the interest of those aformentioned in your op to make more "suggestions."
    Quote Originally Posted by s1pinup View Post
    Sounds like two drunken Kobolds more than a conversation between two players.
    At first I thought they were just kidding but as the (barely legible) conversation continued it was clear that they were serious. They reminded me of the people that I encountered in WoW when I played it a few years back. However, drunken kobolds is a good analogy and certainly fits in with the "Scrub Sewer" idea that I had. ;P

Quote Originally Posted by fuzzy1guy View Post
    Yes, PVP has always spawned drama since... I think the beginning of time. <.<;
    Pirating's much more my style.