Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Laptops

Default Laptops

Does anyone else use primarily a laptop? I may have to tweek the key mapping or get an external mouse. The mouse pad is awful for using mouse look. Which I am hoping to use with my Rogue. I cant move fast enough using directional keys and dont have a 10-key pad.

Any advice???
    A proper sidekick is the perfect weapon, especially if I dropped my sword.

My only computer is a laptop, I use an external USB mouse.

I primarily use a laptop. Yes, I used an external gaming mouse and an external 28" LCD monitor hookup when I am at home.

When I am not at home, I take the external travel size mouse and use the built-in 15.6" LCD.

The latest buzz on gaming laptops is the Asus G53JW (G73JW for 17") gaming laptop:

* Intel Core i7-740QM (1.73GHz Quad-Core with Turbo Boost up to 2.93GHz)
    * 6GB DDR3 1066MHz, 4 SODIMM Sockets, up to 16GB; Illuminated Keyboard
    * Nvidia GTX 460M Graphics with 1.5GB GDDR5
    * 500GB HDD (7200RPM); Super-Multi Optical Drive; 802.11 b/g/n; 1x USB 3.0; 3x USB 2.0; 8-in-1 card reader; 2.0MP Webcam
    * 15.6-Inch Full HD (1920x1080) LED Display; Windows Home Premium 64-bit Operating System

With Great Power Comes Great Responsibility

Thats a dream machine for sure. I use a Dell Inspiron 6400, 1.66GHz dual core, 2GB Ram and a 15.4.
    Works pretty good with 3MB DSL. Never tried an external, and not a lot of room on the couch, but I like the idea of a larger picture. Do you WASD, or the directional keys?

The Hatchery

I only use a laptop.

Get an external mouse. They are a lot better than the touchpad.

Would a standard wheel mouse work? Gaming specific mice get pretty spendy.

I only use a laptop as well since my gaming rig decided it didn't want to work any more. I use a USB 5 button mouse. One thing you may want to look at if you are playing on the couch is a TV tray (one that you would eat dinner on while sitting on the couch) terrible decor, but a decent laptop stand.

Quote Originally Posted by Kickinit View Post
    Would a standard wheel mouse work? Gaming specific mice get pretty spendy.
    Yup, this is what i use, and it works just fine

Khyber
    Swez Sowan
    Sowen Sown Sowyn

Community Member

Also a laptop user here (main use machine; will likely stay as a laptop in the future) and also use USB mouse. I'm not a fan of touchpads at all really. They're good for occasional work (though my wife uses the mousepad ALL the time and has the carpal tunnel to prove it) but not for continued use, especially gaming.

I'm just using an old MS Intellimouse with scrollwheel. Works perfect in DDO. Every now and then, I'll use an external keyboard as well if I'm playing for longer sessions - hands don't get as warm that way.

I'll also echo something good to put the laptop on if it doesn't typically stay in one place.
    It occurs to me that the dice are being rolled by the same computer that's trying to kill me. It knows all the moves - it's just toying with me.

Thank you.
    Gonna have to swing by the sewers of walmart since that's the closest thing we have for accessories.

I would highly suggest getting an external mouse, as it makes moving around in the game a lot less awkward. I wouldn't worry too much about getting gaming mouse or whatnot. MMO's are far less reliant on how sensitive and precise your mouse can be than other genres (e.g. FPS or RTS). Just make sure your mouse doesn't break down on you. :P

I use a £3(not sure what that is in dollars) laser mouse, pretty crappy works fine never played on anything but a laptop, i use WASD keys i guess if you're left handed use the directional keys.

Quote Originally Posted by Shishizaru View Post
    Just make sure your mouse doesn't break down on you. :P
    OMG! haha, I was solo healing a shroud on lamma one time to test the new lag changes (Update 5) and my mouse crapped out RIGHT as were were starting part 4, and i had no key bindings on my cleric haha. I had to target people with the "F" keys, swap hotbars with "ctrl + x", and press the numbers to heal.... it was a nightmare!
    Khyber
    Swez Sowan
    Sowen Sown Sowyn

Quote Originally Posted by Sweyn View Post
    OMG! haha, I was solo healing a shroud on lamma one time to test the new lag changes (Update 5) and my mouse crapped out RIGHT as were were starting part 4, and i had no key bindings on my cleric haha. I had to target people with the "F" keys, swap hotbars with "ctrl + x", and press the numbers to heal.... it was a nightmare!
    Haha, I can't live without key binds. I don't even know which hotbars half my key binds are on, so if my mappings got wiped, I would be dead in the water. If a game does not let me rebind my keys, I get fairly annoyed (and consequently blame the developers for being lazy and incompetent). I think I'm pretty normal in that I do most game related activities with my left hand and use the mouse primarily for looking around/targetting.

I do know some people who've mapped things like jump to their right-mouse-button, but my key bindings aren't exactly standard either. The key is mapping things to what's comfortable to you. WASD, for instance, is terrible in that regard (for me).

I use the arrow keys with rt hand, left thumb on touch pad Button 1, index on E for select and the numbers across the top for the short cuts.
    Needless to say its a lot of work, but I'm ready to retrain on a diff server. My left hand dont know which way is up. I'll let ya know it worked out

i to use a laptop with a chiep mose. use WASD, no key mapping, cntrl + slotbar #.
    Running an inspiron 1545
    Quote Originally Posted by Lissyl View Post
    Because weapons are OP!
    My Builds: Tempest Kensai of Zen

Community Member delicious.crab's Avatar

Laptop as primary machine.
    HP G71 with n52a gamin'pad, fydolla usb mouse (w/scroll wheel,) Evinrude outboards, Johnson RetroEncabulator.
    It's sweet.

In all seriousness, buy the mouse man! For compact environments, I cut up a mouse pad so it fits flush on the surface of the laptop (17 in) and put little rubber feets on the pad. It's cramped, but I can still play entirely in the footprint of the laptop. Good for bars.
    Last edited by delicious.crab; 11-15-2010 at 04:38 PM. Reason: EDIT: I like the mousepad mainly cause it doesn't nick the finish.

Ok, Picked up the $10 USB mouse to see what it was like. I did see a couple wireless mice with a nano tranceiver for twice as much. What I did like is that the optic on the mouse works against the fabric of my couch. I dont like the stupid cord, so its back to wally for the little wireless for 25. It is great that it works on ANY surfice.
    I had to create a starter toon to figure it out. I can already tell that the gameplay experience will be AWESOME, but right now a brown spider could whip me even WITH a +2 Heavy mace!

Paaaathetique!!!!!! Aren't upgrades fun?!

I use a 15.6" dual core laptop at home with a $14 Logitech M305 mouse. Works great.

On the go I use a Gateway 11.6" celeron netbook which performs adequately in most situations. Same kind of mouse.

Both machines are configured to use WASD.

I use a laptop, and my only stand to play on, is just a little smaller then the laptop itself, so I have no desk/table area to work wit, thus, no mouse worth thinking about.

I got a game pad, and have not looked back.

I know I could do more if I had a better set up, but I play with what I have to play with.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast