Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Laptops

I used the arrow keys and a full-size USB mouse on my laptop to play DDO.
    (My hands are too huge and clumsy for a laptop mouse or touchpad.)
    "Swords will cut you wide open!" - Trip Fisk

Community Member

Laptop user here as well, since you mentioned you are on a couch when playing as mentioned get a TV tray or something for sure, or at least something steady and comfortable to set the laptop on. I play in a recliner myself so i know how tedious a laptop can be I would recommend getting a track ball mouse then you wont have to worry about it work in the fabric of your couch etc.... also if the screen will be further away from you via TV tray or what not a USB keyboard is very nice, you can have the keyboard in your lap and get as comfy as you like. Just a few things i use to make my laptop gaming easier and better.

Community Member

i play only on a laptop: http://eu.msi.com/index.php?func=pro...1&prod_no=1902

its a very nice game machine 1gb dedicated graphic card 17" screen and i just use a logitech gaming mouse (around £15) and it works very well can run every thing on very high and runs great

Community Member

also i play on a couch as well i have a tray with a cusion on it and on that i put a fan tray to keep the laptop cool

Quote Originally Posted by mwgarn View Post
    My only computer is a laptop, I use an external USB mouse.

Same here, but add an XBox 360 controller.
    There is an "Alternate" Forum, PM Strakeln for details.
    Arkats Padawan of Zen Noobility
    Wielder of the Stiffler Salute
    Eberron Lore - Lore-Keepers Lounge

Quote Originally Posted by Cade_Wells View Post
    also i play on a couch as well i have a tray with a cusion on it and on that i put a fan tray to keep the laptop cool
    The couch reclines so the laptop is in the lap. Burning my leg is no fun so I use just the tray to keep it up, and the air flow is better. After using he mouse on the fabric I switched to a pad of paper. I cant tell you how much more intense the game is using mouse look. I've never done that. Talk about Slow; Ive been running arrow keys only since 07. LAAAAME!!!!!! Lame lame. never going back!!!
    Nice thing about this mouse, is the wheel has left/right scroll as well as up and down. NEVER seen that before. VERY cool.
    A proper sidekick is the perfect weapon, especially if I dropped my sword.

Quote Originally Posted by Ashurr View Post
    I have been wanting to look into the Xbox controller, how well does it work and can you program the buttons?

I currently use a Logitech, but when I tried to upgrade they did something moronic to the programing and made it so I can;t use cycling commands on the shift. Totally a waste if you ask me.

So I was wondering as to the intensity of the Xbox controller and how well you can interact with the interface with it.

Thanks.

Laptop user here as well. I use a G73JH 17" unit. It is awesome and comes with its own gaming programmable mouse.

http://www.asus.com.au/product.aspx?...e5Ot4HBnKOdT81

Here is the link for it.

Thumbs up

Quote Originally Posted by Ashurr View Post
    My setup as well: Laptop + cheap mouse (5€) + XBox 360 controller (USB version)

Works great for me.

Cheers

Baloran

Community Member

Default one word

trackball
    unless you put in a space, then it is two.

Quote Originally Posted by Ungood View Post
    I have been wanting to look into the Xbox controller, how well does it work and can you program the buttons?

I currently use a Logitech, but when I tried to upgrade they did something moronic to the programing and made it so I can;t use cycling commands on the shift. Totally a waste if you ask me.

So I was wondering as to the intensity of the Xbox controller and how well you can interact with the interface with it.

Thanks.
    I love the X-Box interface. I have mine set up thusly -

Left Tumbstick Up = Move foreward

L Thumbstick Down = Move backwards

L Thumbstick left = strafe left

L Thumbstick Right = strafe right.

Right Thumbstick = moving camera ( best in mouselook mode)

D-Pad left = use what's in first slot on hotbar

D-Pad right = Use what's in second slot on hotbar.

D-Pad Up = Cycle up thru hotbars

D-Pad down = Cycle down thru hotbars.

A Button = Jump

B Button = ( I dont use this button)

X Button = ( Usually leave this one open as well)

Y Button - Interact with Orb target.

Right Bumper = Camera out

Left Bumper = Camera in

Left Trigger = Block

Right Trigger = Attack

I've found that this basic set-up works very well for non-casters, and you'll only be using be using the keyboard to activate hotbar slots 3-10, and toggling Mouse look on and off ( depending on your playstyle)
    There is an "Alternate" Forum, PM Strakeln for details.
    Arkats Padawan of Zen Noobility
    Wielder of the Stiffler Salute
    Eberron Lore - Lore-Keepers Lounge

Community Member

Quote Originally Posted by TigrisMorte View Post
    trackball
    unless you put in a space, then it is two.
    I thought I was the only person who used one of these still.

Love my Trackball. I seriously don't know if I coule play with a mouse again, may have to try it though. Saw a nice wireless one at Best Buy today too.

I'm playing on a laptop with an USB wireless mouse, but when my mouse got destroyed I started playing on touchpad only. First day was awful, but I get used so quickly that I haven't bouht a new mouse by 1,5 month. And I was playing on a wizard, thats a lot of clicking icons, and targeting with crosshair. You just need a little practice to get used to touchpad, but still its better to get a mouse.

Edit: BTW, if you're going to use wireless mouse, better practice using touchpad a bit- you never know when batteries run out of power.
    Quote Originally Posted by Originally Posted by Random Person #2 View Post
    People who exploit bugs in code are cheaters cheaters cheaters. And they are big fat ****yheads too.

Wink laptop with no mouse

:/ yea, i play with no mouse. i use my touch pad thingy lol.... the crazy thing is i almost been playn ddo for a year now. i have 7 toons on canith and i have had no problems what so ever
    i use the w,a,s,d to move around, and mostly always hold down the right clicky button to free look around. i would try a usb mouse out, but i think it would mess me up when playn on my casters.. i might just have to try and see i guess
    i been thinkin about hookin my laptop upto my 36" tv so i can see more lol other than that i like using my laptop. i can play anywere i get internet

Quote Originally Posted by Vellrad View Post
    BTW, if you're going to use wireless mouse, better practice using touchpad a bit- you never know when batteries run out of power.
    After trying this new wireless mouse, I decided to buy stock in Duracell. LOL, J/K But I do have a backup pack of batteries. The Manufacture says the bat.s will last 15 months, Aaand it works on any surface.

Now I need a cooling base, so can quit burning my leg, say halfway the waterworks!!

my macbook pro core I7 with windows 7 software runs faster than most desktops anyway . And yeah, just buy a usb mouse, cheap and functional. You will also be able to play ddo in the bathtub, another plus.
    adversity is something we face every day - for a true test, give someone power

Quote Originally Posted by stille_nacht View Post
    Click the arrow for Intro to Multiclassing
    Quote Originally Posted by stille_nacht View Post
    Frugal Pack Buying Guide

Using an notebook as well, specifically an Asus N61J. (Laptop is an outdated term since 2002-2003 when it was discovered that holding it in your lap actually causes serious health problems for the user, so the modern and official term is notebook.)
    The touchpad for me was just aesthetic, as an mouse is easy to carry in the unit's bag. (Same thing can't be said about the cooling shell, which requires an bag for itself.)
    "We will live and see."

Quote Originally Posted by shdrex63 View Post
    Using an notebook as well, specifically an Asus N61J. (Laptop is an outdated term since 2002-2003 when it was discovered that holding it in your lap actually causes serious health problems for the user, so the modern and official term is notebook.)
    The touchpad for me was just aesthetic, as an mouse is easy to carry in the unit's bag. (Same thing can't be said about the cooling shell, which requires an bag for itself.)
    I come from the era when a notebook was something you write in. LOL So, call me old fashioned, but I'll stick with 'laptop'. Being an accountant I have a computer everywhere i go, so the laptop is strictly for the comfort of the couch. The injury could be from dropping said laptop on ones foot. LOL
    I am stalking an ACER Tri-core with 6G Ram on newegg though.

Yes I do play on a laptop,
    many people underestimate the potential of such machines.
    mine is a relatively weak semi-custom-built (I tweaked some things, such as the hard drive and the ram memory, and the external looks of it.nothing to heavy of course, just vinyls of lady gaga ) core2 duo with 4gb using the embedded GMA that came with the motherboard (an Intel 4500mHD) (unfortunately, I cannot change my vga because of this)...
    I play a lot of games in it, such as :
    -left 4 dead 1 (don't have the second one) (framerate: 20-40 (very unstable, especially when smoke is involved, interestingly, I don't have any trouble with lighting, unlike my brother on his nvidia 6600, which runs with a very VERY unstable framerate (ranging from 10(outside areas with smoke and ambient lighting) to 60(indoor areas)) (one of the supported vgas) with the resolution on 1200x800 and minimum graphics)
    -Battlefield 2 (framerate: 45 with maxed settings)
    -Spore (framerate: 20-30 with maxed settings)
    -Neverwinter nights 2 (20- 30 with lighting disabled and textures set to the highest)
    -I have no idea of the framerate my GMA performs on DDO, but based from my past experiences (I cannot play anymore, for odd reasons) it would be 15-30 with maxed models and textures (I use the HD client, I was surprised it worked) with lighting and shadows set on medium, directX 10 disabled.

-Most of the games I mentioned don't even officialy support my GMA (though Left 4 dead 2 supports the intel HD graphics, something I don't have), strangely, some of them (left 4 dead for instance) run better on this gma than on a supported one (such as the aforementioned 6600)
    And yes, I do believe notebooks can be used as main gaming computers, even though, it might be hard to find games that support it.

also , something that I found is that I play first person shooters and shoulders much better with the touchpad than the mouse, I think I grew used to it.
    Insanity in individuals is something rare - but in groups, parties, nations and epochs, it is the rule.
    -Friedrich Nietzsche
    One, Two, Three, Four! Open up the closet door! Five, Six, Seven, Eight! Don't assume your kids are straight!
    -Queer Nation

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12