Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Default Q about the Abbot and concentration checks

So a lot of the Abbot runs I've been in people have told us to hit him hard to break his concentration. The theory seems to be that if he's kept busy with enough stuff, he won't be able to make the concentration check for an inferno.

That makes sense to me, whether it's true or not.... which leads me to this question-

I've pounded undead in every undead-y instance the game has to offer and I've never seen any other undead not able to get a spell off because of being DPSed and casted upon mercilessly. Most notably, I'm thinking of Eternal Wizards and their firewalls. I've done runs to E-Wiz King with a full group of kitted 20s who kill these guys in two swings and they still manage to get a FW off... same with TRs who may not have the STR, but have their past life triple pos mauls and warhammers.

It's not a big deal to get past a measly Eternal Wiz on a 20, so this isn't a complaint, just an observation that pesters me.
    ~ Pallai, Chennai, Saraphima~
    ~Shipbuff, Sophalia, Northenstar ~
    ~ Ascent~

Mobs don't make concentration checks.
    Sarlona: Riyana | Ilyrae | Elaeria | Arlayh | Aryis | Lyanis | Yaera | Kyilsi | Malitae | Niariel | Laeriya
    'Polluting Sarlona with gimpy elves since 2009.'
    Endgame

Quote Originally Posted by k1ngp1n View Post
    QFT

If you were actually trying to break the Abbot's concentration, you would keep hitting him when he started casting Inferno, and good luck with that.
    The poster formerly known as San'tar...

Quote Originally Posted by Tolero View Post
    Don't make me pull this forum over and come back there

Quote Originally Posted by Dylos_Moon View Post
    QFT

If you were actually trying to break the Abbot's concentration, you would keep hitting him when he started casting Inferno, and good luck with that.
    For real?

Ok, two people coming in and saying the same thing... guess I'll have to de-bunk when told that his conc. can be broken....
    ~ Ascent~

There was a rumor that mobs have concentration. This rumor was debuked by mobs casting under a barrage of polar rays, lightning strikes, and eSoS crits.

Well, right on- thanks for clearing that up, guys- this many responses is good enough for me.
    ~ Ascent~

Quote Originally Posted by phalaeo View Post
    For real?

Ok, two people coming in and saying the same thing... guess I'll have to de-bunk when told that his conc. can be broken....
    If 1,500 point DBFs don't break his concentration, what will?
    Useful links: A Guide to Using a Gamepad w/ DDO / All Caster Shroud, Hard Shroud, VoD, ToD Einhander, Elochka, Ferrumrym, Ferrumdermis, Ferrumshot, Ferrumblood, Ferrumender, Ferrumshadow, Ferrumschtik All proud officers of The Loreseekers. Except Bruucelee, he's a Sentinel!

Community Member

It's not Concentration, but some monsters can have their spells interrupted by taking more than a certain percentage of their health as damage. Even if the Black Abbot wasn't arbitrarily immune to that, his tens of thousands of hitpoints would mean that no single player attack can reach that threshold.

As to why you don't get Inferno on normal, it's usually because his total hp is lower so he gets killed before he has time to cast as much stuff.

Quote Originally Posted by sephiroth1084 View Post
    If 1,500 point DBFs don't break his concentration, what will?
    Bacon.

http://forums.ddo.com/showthread.php...ighlight=bacon
    In case you didn't already notice, my posts that end with must NEVER EVER, under any circumstances, be taken seriously.

http://forums.ddo.com/showthread.php?p=3012617

Not calling you out, but proof (or explanation)?

I'm just saying- I have noticed less to no Infernos in high DPS Abbot groups, Norm runs through Elite. Whether that's just our timing on entering, I can't tell you- just an observation.

OTOH.....

It makes sense what you're saying, though. I've ran Shrouds with extremely high DPS groups and Harry manages to get those spells off just fine.
    ~ Ascent~

Yep.

Make it 3 OP
    sravana, kirtana, smarana, dasya, atma-nivedana
    ...NAMASTE...