Thread: Trapmonkey GS?

Default Trapmonkey GS?

I want to TR my Tempest into a Tempest trapmonkey. I've already got venelated bracers, but I'm still planning GS for a +6 exceptional Int bonus.

I see two ways to proceed, I can put all +6 Int on a single shard Slay Living, or I could synergize it between Con Opp and Radiance. I'm not super worried about the grind since I already have an Essence of cleansing and nearly enough larges to crank out four shards worth of gear.

But I'm wondering how good are Rad and Con Opp for a Tempest? I think the blindness will be good at disrupting casters, and the extra SP/HP will be nice, although the +6 Wis (ranger casting stat) is a huge bonus since I save build points by keeping it at 8. And with Tharnes Goggles and a rogue level, the blindness will be nice for sneak attack.

I'm not espeicialy attached to any of my other gear. I switch between the Icy Raiments and Breastplate of Destruction. Don't have access to alot of endgame content, just Vale and epic VoN at the moment. Anyway, cp for your thoughts, if you're on Orien.

Here's what I'm thinking:

Items that have Int skills +3, +2, +1 in and of themselves:
    Incineration, Enervation, Slay living

None of those three really excite me but Slay Living sounds the most fun, and is the cheapest. And it's nice because it's obsolete proof, I can always swap it in and out for traps, even if I don't wear it full time.

Or, I can get +6 Int if I pick a two (A) or make a pair with an (A) and a (B) from the following:

(A)Dual shard items that get the +3 Int:
    Magma surge, Radiance guard, Smokescreen

(B)Dual shard items that can get the +1 Int:
    Corrosive salt, Disintegration guard, Concordant opposition

Of those, I like Radiance, Smokescreen, Disintegration and Con Opp. But I imagine that Rad and Con Opp are the best? If so, I'll craft a blank helm and cloak and then it's off to the Shroud!

Stormreach Advisor
    Founder

Well first of all, keep in mind you can save your larges by just getting a +3 Int skills Eldritch rune you put on some dummy robe you'd equip for traps (that's what I do on my Rogue...).

That being said, if you're not worried about spending a few larges or want those +100 SPs... personally I wouldn't even bother about getting a tier 3 special effect, because it's not an item I'd wear all the time (it'd be removed after throwing buffs). I'd make it a Waves of Exhaustion clicky (the only useful clicky you can get on such an item), but as a single shard item (to save ingredients).

Conc-Opp and Radiance would be a monumental waste of larges for an item you only wear when dealing with traps.

Radiance will not do ANYTHING to casters. They have to melee you for the blinding to kick in, and casters don't do that very often.

http://www.iro.umontreal.ca/~delalle...guard_&altar=3

That's the way to go (although not necesarily a cloak, I just selected an accessory at random). It uses the fewest scales. You also don't really need to worry about cleansing some abstractly large number of items. Cleanse 1 item you wear full time, leave this trapmonkey item and it's swap out item (say, a real Conc-Opp item, or Mineral, or Smoke, or whatever) uncleansed, since you'll never be wearing both at once.
    Kobold sentient jewel still hate you.

Quote Originally Posted by tihocan View Post
    Well first of all, keep in mind you can save your larges by just getting a +3 Int skills Eldritch rune you put on some dummy robe you'd equip for traps (that's what I do on my Rogue...).
    Thanks for the advice, I don't have access to that content yet, mainly because I was scared away by all the complaining about the pre-u7 lotto. But now that the runes are identified and the Devs have hinted at customizable DT armor colors it's definitely an option for me. Sounds like you're saying that the grind to get a trapmonkey robe is easier than grinding for a Tier 3 greensteel, which is exactly the kind of advice I had hoped for. Thanks.

That being said, if you're not worried about spending a few larges or want those +100 SPs...
    I don't particularly care about the SP or the Larges. My goal is to have two greensteel items for my TR trapmonkey to wear. I've got 37 larges and a cleansing essence and I'm looking forward to getting more.

personally I wouldn't even bother about getting a tier 3 special effect, because it's not an item I'd wear all the time (it'd be removed after throwing buffs). I'd make it a Waves of Exhaustion clicky (the only useful clicky you can get on such an item), but as a single shard item (to save ingredients).
    I feel the same way about Slay Living Guard, I wouldn't go out of my way to craft it. But a WoE GS clickie is fairly cheap and DT armor is not too far off in my future.

Quote Originally Posted by Matuse View Post
    That's the way to go (although not necesarily a cloak, I just selected an accessory at random). It uses the fewest scales. You also don't really need to worry about cleansing some abstractly large number of items. Cleanse 1 item you wear full time, leave this trapmonkey item and it's swap out item (say, a real Conc-Opp item, or Mineral, or Smoke, or whatever) uncleansed, since you'll never be wearing both at once.
    I wouldn't make the effort to cleanse for Slay Living like I would for some of the nicer Tier 3 effects but I would like to wear two GS items full time for HP/SP. Since I plan on doing that anyway, I might as well try to get a bonus to the skills I actualy use.

Stormreach Advisor
    Founder

Quote Originally Posted by BossOfEarth View Post
    Sounds like you're saying that the grind to get a trapmonkey robe is easier than grinding for a Tier 3 greensteel, which is exactly the kind of advice I had hoped for. Thanks.
    If you farm Monastery with a full group who shares runes, it should be pretty easy. Although there is always a risk of being unlucky and not seeing the one you want (I did get 3 +3 Int skills runes out of my last 10 ones ).
    You'll still have to complete the whole chain once to get your armor, but doing it "once" should not be called a grind.

I wouldn't make the effort to cleanse for Slay Living like I would for some of the nicer Tier 3 effects but I would like to wear two GS items full time for HP/SP. Since I plan on doing that anyway, I might as well try to get a bonus to the skills I actualy use.
    When you are wearing 2 accessories, you only need 1 of them cleansed.

So you make an int skills item. This item will only be worn while dealing with traps. So you make another more permanent item that you wear full time...and in the same slot. Since they are in the same slot, NEITHER ONE OF THEM NEEDS TO EVER BE CLEANSED. If you have a third item that you will also wear full time...cleanse -that- item. Then whether you are in the int skills item, or the more general alternative, neither will give the HP drain of 2 uncleansed items, since your third item is cleansed.
    Kobold sentient jewel still hate you.