Default High level melee must have items checklist

I lead allot of pug groups over the years, and it's rather alarming to see how many high level, even maxxed out melee players do not have the most basic-required gear to do well in this game. Usually it's out of shear lack of knowledge that the items are important, even exist, or that they can actually reasonably get them.
    As such I will create a guide to outline a few of the often missed items that in my opinion - every single high level (~17+) melee should have.

This isn't going to cover the very basic things like stat items, or things that are difficult to acquire that one wouldn't expect someone to have.. But rather things that CAN be expected, because they aren't difficult to get and are very useful.

- Silver Flame Talisman
    I don't care if your a warforged or you can restore yourself or anything, if you melee and don't want to die, you have this item. This is a MUST have for running certain very popular quests and raid.
    What it does:
    Keeps you alive when you'd otherwise die. Some quests you WILL have beholders and you WILL be expected to fight them, there is absolutely no substitute for this item when fighting beholders (no that crappy optic nerve is not enough, it runs out of charges in like 4 seconds). Because they will enervate you, and death-ward will not work. Being a warforged may - but they will quickly wise up to that fact then kill your butt with a finger of death, and you will roll a 1, don't think you won't.
    How do you get it:
    Very trivial item to acquire. No random elements. Only 1 somewhat challenging requirement: 1 member of your party must be flagged for the Cursed Crypt (put up an lfm and you'll find someone eventually). Otherwise it's a simple matter:
    1. Get a silver flame nugget from {edit in name when I remember} in the necropolis.
    2. Run the cursed crypt 3 times. It's not that long of a quest and in a solid group this can be accomplished all 3 times in under an hour. Even in a really bad group, you'll get it done eventually, the quest is not that difficult.
    3. Be sure to clicky the altar at the end each time.

Shroud or otherwise Raise Dead Clicky.
    It doesn't matter how poor you are, how well you can use raise scrolls nor what your chosen alignment is, you should be able to raise dead. If you cannot raise dead, someday it WILL be a problem, and it will be no ones fault except your own. Because you will run out of scrolls, or worse fail your concentration/umd check when it matters most. Clickes never fail.
    What it does:
    Brings back those noob clerics in your party that died because they didn't wear there silver flame talismans and thought they were exempt because there clerics.
    How to get it:
    Run the Shroud. Craft it up. For many new players this can seem like a daunting and very long process.. But it really for the lower tier items like this one, it is not, and the ingredients nessasary to craft it were so heavily farmed in the past years by veteran players that almost any decent enough veteran player WILL give you every ingredient you need to create a rez clicky.
    It takes 12 small and 12 mediums to do it, which really doesn't take long to farm, but if your unlucky it can, so don't be afraid to ask for some or trade the ones you have too many of (at most you need 3 of each, and usally it's just 2 of each except 3 scales)
    The ONLY valueable ingredients in the process are actaully creating your blank, you may be on your own on that one. But after that is done, the actaul small and medium ingredients are things veteran players have hundreds of they don't need. Politely ask for some, and someone will give you them. I'll do it for anyone on khyber.

At the same time you'll end up with a powerful all around dmg weapon. Usually a +5 Holy XXX of Puregood Burst.
    Minimum level that it is a must have imo: 20, since it does take some time to farm the necessary shards I don't expect it on non-capped characters. But I can't understand lvl20's that have run the shroud a few times and still don't have one.

Solid Fog Clicky.
    Ever plan to run hound? Have one of these. There's as little as 5-10kpp on the AH, and extremely common.

A shield. Any shield.
    It doesn't matter if your 110% TWF or THF spec'd. Carry a shield just to swap in for emergencies when you need to shield block a door or archers so a rogue can disable a trap. It's a rare occurrence, but being prepared for it is important.

Always carry a shield? Then carry a two handed weapon also (or have TWF)
    Even if your the most insane AC tank in the world with a tier9000 epic greensteel 1hander. Do your group a favor and carry a decent THF weapon anyways, even the most basic greensteel tier2 Two handed tears the **** out of any single 1hander in the game DPS wise. There WILL be times when no one really cares how much damage you take or even if you die in the process, what they do care is if the group has enough DPS to suceed. This is especially common in raids, so play smart and carry one no matter what, evne if you only swap it in 1% of the time.

Potions
    This one is pretty subjective and for some players will be a cost factor they can't afford, and I get that. But there are a few potions you will use so rarely that if you buy 1 stack, they will never run out for years.. So not having them is inexcusable.
    Namely: Remove Curse.. Healing curses are becoming more and more common in this game, and many do not show an icon over you head to tell the cleric to take care of you, so sometimes like it or not, you have to do it yourself.
    Remove Fear. Can't drink em yourself while feared so who cares right? Wrong. If your healer is feared and everyone thought that way, your screwed. Carry a couple of these potions and you can save your healer, and yourself in the process.
    Neutralize Poison or Poison Immunity item:
    Poison immunity items are pretty easy to find and fit in for 99% of players.. But if your that 1% that has such uber gear you can't fit it, at least carry a few potions to remove the "im a noob" symbol above your head. It may not have much of an effect, but neither does filling up 1 inventory slot.
    Remove Disease: Same as above, tho potions are much less effective as they last 0 seconds versus 7minuits on the poison ones.. So I recommend an item instead.

I'll improve this guide later if anyone finds it helpful.
    Last edited by Shade; 02-02-2010 at 07:14 AM.

Community Member

Having a Minos Legen is almost a requirement (does everybody understand the requirement for heavy fort?). Not too hard to get.

Certain weapons (stat damage, vorpal) are almost a requirement.

A weapon to bypass raid bosses DR?

I find a Exp. Retreat clicky/good striders (handy to catch up to the party if I fall behind).

Remove Blindness pots?

Having a ranged weapon (even if only for switches)?

Voice of the Master / Mantle of the Worldshaper?
    Last edited by TechNoFear; 02-02-2010 at 09:31 AM.
    Jesus saves but only Buddha makes incremental backups.

Community Member

Default short

kind of a short list for melee must haves. I expect more.

specific potions kept in a stack of 100 are must haves.
    -haste
    stop begging selfish and stupid arcanes for hastes and use your own. the answer is NO. They don't understand an extended haste spell makes everything easier and cheaper for all involved. They're focus is on out killcounting you so the slower your going the better they look.

-cure curse,
    Level 16 and up is full of dream reavers and clay golems. Keep it on your hot bar or blame yourself for dying and causing the epic party wipe.

-cure serious wounds.
    stop standing in the fight till you die, hoping the healer will notice you've only got 47 hp's left. they're healing the intimitank and your on your own. jump/tumble/backup out of the fight, run around in circles kiting your enemy and take some csw pots. keeping yourself alive is your own first priority.

Your also expected to always have certain immunities and protections. AND to remember to have them active when necessary. If I hear another melee cry out "help! I'm blind" I'll probably wet myself giggling.

Immunity to:
    blindness/fear/poison/disease
    best bet for the above. Green steel goggles.

Protection from:
    level drain/elements
    best bets are a silver flame talisman and a collection of greater pro cloaks.

The 5 POWER WEAPONS TYPES.
    Vorpal/banishing/smiting/disruption & paralyzing or stunning
    Get each and stop beating things to death that should have been dead 25 swings ago. What are you trying to prove? Beat em to death in an epic quest. Otherwise stop risking everyones lives and eliminate the threat already.

Know how to use the proper tools for the job and have them ready.
    It's a white dragon in an ice cave. you really shouldn't be using that icy burst frost weapon silly. :P
    Get: Icy burst/Flaming burst/holy burst/pure good/greater bane weapons for common raid/quest bosses, pesky sub bosses/elementals and anything else a power weapon isn't going to stop.

Know how to beef up your own armor class/saving throws/attack rolls with pots or clickies. if you keep missing, failing your save/dc check or getting hit it's your own fault. you need heroism/barkskin +3/rage

the 'how the heck did you get to level 16 and not have these?!" list
    featherfall
    heavy fortification
    deathblock
    underwater action
    +25-30 run item

The 'these guys are well equiped' list of clickies & powers.
    If you can do this yourself when needed it's definitely a bonus and odds are your a real survivor/slayer.
    Seeker
    blur
    stoneskin
    raise dead
    displacement
    jump
    ghost touch
    (greater)destructio
    n

know and use your feats/enhancements properly and quickly.
    haste/skill boosts
    dodge
    cleave/greater cleave
    (improved)
    trip
    sunder
    stun
    rage

finally know what works on who and use it appropriately.
    crippling
    tendon slice
    slowburst
    deception
    vertigo
    enfeebling
    bonebreaking
    wounding

There are some few things I may have missed or not mentioned like the intelligent use of hotbars and other things that will make you toon unique and offer great combat conditions or party preparations. Your successful combination of these effects will define your character and make you stand out from the crowd.
    Plus it's a lot of fun experimenting and watching that 3/4/5/6 click combo make everything so easy.
    I just love my weakness glyph/cloudkill/hasteboost vorpal slaying sessions in sins of attrition.
    Last edited by MaximusParthas; 10-13-2010 at 05:20 PM. Reason: codes displayed
    Krimsonrayne -Ultimate Lord of Shadows on Orien server.
    Using -Ethan Hunt build -Assassin III, 900+ HP versatile, survivalist, high dps, str build.
    Build presented in video format. Long Live R.O.G.U.E.

Community Member

How to get it:
    Run the Shroud. Craft it up. For many new players this can seem like a daunting and very long process.. But it really for the lower tier items like this one, it is not, and the ingredients nessasary to craft it were so heavily farmed in the past years by veteran players that almost any decent enough veteran player WILL give you every ingredient you need to create a rez clicky.
    It takes 12 small and 12 mediums to do it, which really doesn't take long to farm, but if your unlucky it can, so don't be afraid to ask for some or trade the ones you have too many of (at most you need 3 of each, and usally it's just 2 of each except 3 scales)
    I trust you're a decent enough veteran player? If so, I'd greatly appreciate some smalls and mediums in my mail box, and I promise I'll have a rezz clicky for when you die.
    Thelanis: Ikeren, Paladin 7. Dylas --- Cleric 21.

Quote Originally Posted by MaximusParthas View Post
    The 5 POWER WEAPONS TYPES.
    Vorpal/banishing/smiting/disruption & paralyzing or stunning
    I really don't find myself using these at endgame (except for Vorpals/stunners). Once you're out of the vale, Banishers, smiters, and disruptors are less usefull, to the point where i don't see a need to carry them around.
    Khyber
    Swez Sowan
    Sowen Sown Sowyn

Quote Originally Posted by CE2JRH123 View Post
    I trust you're a decent enough veteran player? If so, I'd greatly appreciate some smalls and mediums in my mail box, and I promise I'll have a rezz clicky for when you die.
    Shade doesn't die, he just temporarily becomes less than optimal for short periods of time.
    The bird of Hermes is my name, Eating my wings to keep me tame.
    Thelanis
    Toons: Diclonius, Sempresno, Slitmuno, Slitmdos, Slitmtres, Skyfe, Calcatrix, Marcosias, Sumona, Tarokian, Etc.