Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast
    Community Member

+1 This is just wonderful! i came into work early cause I had a terrible night and worse morning, this has made my week! thank you for the laugh!

Quote Originally Posted by kamimitsu View Post

4. More on breakables. If you cannot win the kill count, your next target should be to win the breakables count. Be sure to berate other players for their insufficient barrel-hate. "What?! You don't like extra XP?! My cousin is a cooper (barrel-maker for the vocabulary challenged) and he needs all the help he can get in this economy!"
    Excellent alternative to simply piking. It doesn't work quite as well in Epics, but great for TR's. I didn't address Excuse Making but this would be on the top of that list!

Quote Originally Posted by sephiroth1084 View Post
    I keep wondering why groups put the rogues on the elemental in Shroud 2, and the eles in ToD 1...
    My simple solution, when told to take an elemental, is to laugh into the mic. "Ha,ha...elemental...yeah, I'll get right on that." And then go back to killing the easy mobs. When called out "HEY, stupid rogue, I told you to get the elemental!" Your answer is "Really? Honestly, man, I thought you were joking. I mean, really, who would assign a rogue to solo an elemental?" The leader will be so embarrassed that he'll assign it to a caster like he should have.

Quote Originally Posted by Anthios888 View Post
    -1 rep, this brilliance was supposed to stay in guild... now other people will be stealin' all the kills.
    That's OK, Rock. I'm shifting my focus to breakables now, anyway.

Quote Originally Posted by Gratch View Post
    Dresek? Did you tell Kamimitsu about your breakables winner build? You said that was guild research private for a few months possibly years while it gets refined.
    -1 for pre-releasing a glimpse into my uber breakables build.

Quote Originally Posted by DevilButcher View Post
    By the way, don't forget to remind the party how importent it is to do breakables in quest for bonus exp and then your self never hit a single box
    Nice tactic! I'm going to start incorporating this one when I run a non-capped alt. Which is...well...never, but it's good advice anyway!

Quote Originally Posted by Gorkulon View Post
    Keep it up and Kamikatsu will be seething with envy.
    Kamimitsu's status is safe. He's got enough connections to take me out at will if I get out of line.
    Last edited by Draccus; 10-14-2010 at 12:11 PM.

Basic, universal rogue build advice
    "Not in the face! Not in the faaaaaace!"

Default very nice

and i just found out that you can't rep the same post twice !

I guess it's the first post i have ever tried to rep twice.......ever!

Quote Originally Posted by Gorkulon View Post
    BTW Dresek this is the 2nd excellent thread you created in a brief time period. Keep it up and Kamikatsu will be seething with envy.
    I recognized Dracc's promise early and made sure to get him on board, and in a position of some clout, in R.O.G.U.E. That doesn't mean that I don't spend a lot of time looking over my shoulder for a blade in the darkness. Thankfully, I think I still have a few tricks that Dracc hasn't uncovered yet, which I suspect has kept me around this long (well, that and having an army of the low-down dirtiest scoundrels at my disposal).

One day we're gonna have to team up and disassemble MrCow to figure out how he does what he does. I'm assuming WF have an "off switch", but getting close enough to activate it may be tricky. Anybody know who the top DDO mechanic is? One that might be to put MrCow back together after we steal his secrets?
    Shiz - Ghallanda > Orien (Pharoah let my people go!)
    Shizmonkey (OG Grand Poo-Bah of R.O.G.U.E. 1st edition) and other various ShizAlts
    R.O.G.U.E. Proving Grounds Redux is now defunct. Check out Part Quatre

One day we're gonna have to team up and disassemble MrCow to figure out how he does what he does. I'm assuming WF have an "off switch", but getting close enough to activate it may be tricky. Anybody know who the top DDO mechanic is? One that might be to put MrCow back together after we steal his secrets?
    In answer:
    Quote Originally Posted by Draccus View Post
    My simple solution, when told to take MrCow, is to laugh into the mic. "Ha,ha...top mechanic...yeah, I'll get right on that." And then go back to assassinating the easy mobs. When called out "HEY, stupid rogue, I told you to get the MrCow!" Your answer is "Really? Honestly, man, I thought you were joking. I mean, really, who would think I was a mechanic with that kill count?" The leader will be so embarrassed that he'll assign it to a caster like he should have.

Default +1

Thank you for the laughs!
    Light travels faster than sound. This is why some people appear brighter before they speak. Characters: All start with Film. Loreseeker Elder

Community Member Frostwhisperer's Avatar

Ahw I´ve been giving out to much rep.
    *takes note to give rep tomorrow*
    My mom told me to become a warforged sorcerer. But did I listen? Noooooooooooooo

Community Member

Most excellently put! You, sir, are a shining example to MMO players everywhere.

-- Eli Bolas

Also: Pick the right weapons. Nothing is better than having 70+ kills on VoN5 because you are apparently the only one to bother with smiters. This overlaps with #9 a bit. but at least it is a true story.

(We wiped in VoN6 because there was not enough communication regarging the health of the pillars.)
    Toons on Orien: Meinir // Flodur // Twiddler // Thorkar // Impetor // Juliacantor // Minor all Soko Irrlicht
    Quote Originally Posted by Vargouille View Post
    We may or may not intentionally insert in red herrings, purple mackerels, or horses of different colors. Void where prohibited. Not available in all planes of existence.

Community Member

Quote Originally Posted by Draccus View Post

1. Pick the right quest:

See those big numbers you get when attacking something that's alive? See how they go away when attacking undead? Little numbers = little kills so stop attacking the undead. "But Dresek," you're whining, "What about all those quests with undead in them?" Don't run 'em. Just don't run undead quests…ever. The only undead quest I would run is the Abbot because there aren't enough kills in there for anyone to pay attention to anyway. "But Dresek," you're whining, "I NEED some gear from the quests…and how do I flag for Abbot without running undead quests?" Fine. If you must run them, pike them. Finishing dead last with 0 kills is the only alternative to leading the kill count. More on that later, but, in the meantime, stay the hell out of undead quests.
    Sorry Dresek I couldn't help myself.

Quote Originally Posted by TiberiusofTyr View Post
    Sorry Dresek I couldn't help myself.

that caster is lousy
    If you want to know why...

Quote Originally Posted by Aranticus View Post
    that caster is lousy
    How about: that caster, barbarian, fighter and wizard are all lousy?
    Useful links: A Guide to Using a Gamepad w/ DDO / All Caster Shroud, Hard Shroud, VoD, ToD Einhander, Elochka, Ferrumrym, Ferrumdermis, Ferrumshot, Ferrumblood, Ferrumender, Ferrumshadow, Ferrumschtik All proud officers of The Loreseekers. Except Bruucelee, he's a Sentinel!

Community Member

I recognized Dracc's promise early and made sure to get him on board, and in a position of some clout, in R.O.G.U.E. That doesn't mean that I don't spend a lot of time looking over my shoulder for a blade in the darkness. Thankfully, I think I still have a few tricks that Dracc hasn't uncovered yet, which I suspect has kept me around this long (well, that and having an army of the low-down dirtiest scoundrels at my disposal).

No need to find a mechanic. Team up with him and find a way to get him aggroed by a bunch of rusties.

Thumbs up

+1

Wilkes, my 20 Assassin, has a horrible habit of doubling+ the next highest kill count in most quests, and in order to subtly brag, I find it's always good to comment on the healers. "Great job [cleric/FS], kept us alive instead of worrying about killing!"

Usually gets a look @ the score out of curiosity.

But I think the "Rogues are killing machines in DDO" message is getting out there...
    On Orien: Ruprect the Monkey Boy lvl 16 Radiant Servant - Wilkes Booth lvl 20 Assassin - Schermo Savage lvl 14 Archmage - Monnik Savage - lvl 5 Monk (Life 2) - Saakaa Savage - lvl 6 Archmage

Dear Draccus:

Your advice has increased my kill count by 30%. I even began to outkill the casters on my Shroud runs lately by ignoring the portals and going for the soft kills in part 1. Pure genius! But I have a dilemma, what do I do about the kill count when another rogue is in the party competing for MY kills? I don't like it when another rogue outkills me. It upsets me and causes me to sulk for a number of days. Am I being unreasonable? Do I need to learn how to share?

Yours,
    The Jealous Rogue

Quote Originally Posted by Samwiser77 View Post
    Dear Draccus:

Your advice has increased my kill count by 30%. I even began to outkill the casters on my Shroud runs lately by ignoring the portals and going for the soft kills in part 1. Pure genius! But I have a dilemma, what do I do about the kill count when another rogue is in the party competing for MY kills? I don't like it when another rogue outkills me. It upsets me and causes me to sulk for a number of days. Am I being unreasonable? Do I need to learn how to share?

Yours,
    The Jealous Rogue
    Dear Jealous,

Losing the kill count to another rogue is nothing to be ashamed of. I understand it's difficult to accept losing but if you're going to lose, it might as well be to another rogue. But instead of sulking about it, you can actually turn it into a positive. If the kill count competition looks like it's going to be even remotely close, start talking about all the other things you're doing for the group. Say thing like "Hey, you guys go on ahead, I'm going to head back and get those traps we skipped for the XP bonus." or "We missed some breakables back there. I'm on it!"

This obviously won't help your kill count. In fact, it will hurt it. But it sends a CLEAR message to your opponents...er...party members that you can rock the kill count AND do things like traps and breakables. When Leggollaaas looks at the quest window and sees that you took second in the kill count, doubled HIS kill count, and still did a bunch of other stuff, he'll be the one sulking!

Yours,

Dresek.

My favorite tactic, when leading the killcount by a large margin, is to head off take care of something else in the dungeon (traps, breakables, secret doors, whatever) or go AFK for a bit, and then comment on how even with X minutes without my killing anything, the rest of the group still hasn't managed to get close to matching (or halving or thirding, or whatever) my lead.

Did this in Coal Chamber while leveling my pure rogue assassin...missed a jump on purpose and said I'd catch up. Caught up to them just as they got to the final room, and still have around 100 more kills than the barbarian.
    Useful links: A Guide to Using a Gamepad w/ DDO / All Caster Shroud, Hard Shroud, VoD, ToD Einhander, Elochka, Ferrumrym, Ferrumdermis, Ferrumshot, Ferrumblood, Ferrumender, Ferrumshadow, Ferrumschtik All proud officers of The Loreseekers. Except Bruucelee, he's a Sentinel!

Default Pike or Kill : dilemma

Dear Draccus,

I think the rest of the party is starting to wise up to my kill stealing tactics. The other day, while I was stabbing away at backsides of some Orcs who were grabbed by the Intimidation of the fighter, the rest of the entire party suddenly left us while they went off to loot the "ooooh shiny" chest. The fighter quickly died without support, and I ended up with all the aggro, which meant... *sad panda* *ding*

I still got a kill count twice that of everybody else including the party barbarian, but I died twice, chugged a ton of healing pots, and it seems like the rest of the party (other than the tanking fighter) all successfully piked their way through. Should I consider this a brilliant success, or an abject failure?

Sincerely,

Feeling Used

Community Member

cant stop laughing

+1 if i could

Quote Originally Posted by FlyingTurtle View Post
    Dear Draccus,

I think the rest of the party is starting to wise up to my kill stealing tactics. The other day, while I was stabbing away at backsides of some Orcs who were grabbed by the Intimidation of the fighter, the rest of the entire party suddenly left us while they went off to loot the "ooooh shiny" chest. The fighter quickly died without support, and I ended up with all the aggro, which meant... *sad panda* *ding*

I still got a kill count twice that of everybody else including the party barbarian, but I died twice, chugged a ton of healing pots, and it seems like the rest of the party (other than the tanking fighter) all successfully piked their way through. Should I consider this a brilliant success, or an abject failure?

Sincerely,

Feeling Used
    Dear Used,

Sincerely,

Dresek.

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast