Founder

Default Tensers Transformation

I really like most of what I am seeing from this update but was disappointed that no improvements were made to Tenser's. I think everyone that plays the game sees the problems with the spell

(restated to be thorough)
    - stat enhancements universally obsolete because of items
    - BAB can be gotten more easily, while maintaining casting ability, via clickies
    - BAB is not as important in DDO as it is in P&P so the suspension of spell and clicky usage is much more harsh than the spirit of the game.
    - SP cost of a 6th lvl spell.

Is this spell still being looked at or has it been decided that no changes need to be made to it?

I think the real issue is that it is in no way the equal of it's divine equivalent, Divine Power.. Divine power allows casting while it goes, which means for the divine caster that they can still heal and cast offensive spells.
    In exchange Tensers grants weapon proficiencies (also available via Master's Touch) and a +4 natural armor bonus (AC is not important on a wizard, and I've tried)

Were I to redesign this spell to be useful, I'd make it something like this: Use intelligence modifier for attack and damage with melee weapons, full BAB, and 2x SP cost while in tenser's mode. If the int modifier would be too hard to do, how bout a +6 <untyped> bonus to strength, so that it stacks with items?

The untyped bonus is (in the books) tipically for feats or abilities, not for spells.
    Even crafted magic items are based on spells that give this or that bonus type.

That apart, Tenser surely made the spell for emergencies, not for zerging with it.
    In PnP a sixth level slot is far more valuable than the sp cost in ddo, for a spell that is only going to last 11 rounds.

Besides there's still scenarios to use it, if you are a wizard that stays out of combat you can use your str, dex and con gear slots for something else.
    You could then use the spell to wield something like a vorpal and effectively be able to make the confirmation roll.

Community Member

Quote Originally Posted by donfilibuster View Post
    The untyped bonus is (in the books) tipically for feats or abilities, not for spells.
    Even crafted magic items are based on spells that give this or that bonus type.

That apart, Tenser surely made the spell for emergencies, not for zerging with it.
    In PnP a sixth level slot is far more valuable than the sp cost in ddo, for a spell that is only going to last 11 rounds.

Besides there's still scenarios to use it, if you are a wizard that stays out of combat you can use your str, dex and con gear slots for something else.
    You could then use the spell to wield something like a vorpal and effectively be able to make the confirmation roll.
    Or you could grab a divine power clicky and some wasting time?

(sorry if that seems trollish, but its true).

I would make them profane bonuses, since stat items are common enough that it makes the idea silly.

In PnP, it was awesome with polymorph. You'd buff all up, then poly, then tensers and go to town.
    Q&A is the business of pointing out others' failures. Optimists need not apply.

Of course, there's plenty of divine power clickies in ddo, i was just speaking about tenser.
    No such free for all divine power in PnP.

Founder

It just seemed as if the spell was being looked at, along with other low efficiency spells. Since there is a modification to Tensers listed in U7, I am curious if it is still being looked at for balancing or if U7 changes are all that it is going to get.