Default Mineral II or MoPG vs bosses?

I’m asking for some advices (or number crunching) helping me figure out how worth is to use so many large scales for a Mineral II instead use a +5 metalline of pure good with icy burst weapons

Let me explain a little:
    my biggest concern is regarding raid bosses because I’m talking about a str-based rogue actually using RadII rapier and heavy pick for trash mobs.

I really don’t care very much about trash mobs because I normally can kill them efficiently using that weapon set (blindness + earthgrab + vorpal on 20 works fine with me and even on DW mobs the DPS is high). Whenever I need to bypass a DR on trash mobs a metalline of pure good + icy burst from risia games works good to me so I don't care very much.

On bosses I’m doing the following considerations:
    - Mineral II give me acid damage that is near useless for the most bosses (no, i’m not gonna tank the queen)
    - Mineral 2 heavy picks have 1d8 base damage vs 1d6 of MoPG
    - I won’t use 2 Min II and give up improved critical because I’m using it on RadII, smithing and banishing rapiers
    - Mineral II has bleed
    - Mineral II has holy (2d6) while MoPG has of course only good (1d6)

Given that, is worth use 5 o even 10 larges scales to craft 1 or 2 Mineral II instead 2 MoPG heavy picks "just" for bosses?

I’m looking forward to (hopefully) join some hard/elite raids so I’d like to know how this could be. Would you quest in hard/elite raids with a toon having MoPG?

Community Member

Quote Originally Posted by Intension View Post
    I’m asking for some advices (or number crunching) helping me figure out how worth is to use so many large scales for a Mineral II instead use a +5 metalline of pure good with icy burst weapons

Let me explain a little:
    my biggest concern is regarding raid bosses because I’m talking about a str-based rogue actually using RadII rapier and heavy pick for trash mobs.

I really don’t care very much about trash mobs because I normally can kill them efficiently using that weapon set (blindness + earthgrab + vorpal on 20 works fine with me and even on DW mobs the DPS is high). Whenever I need to bypass a DR on trash mobs a metalline of pure good + icy burst from risia games works good to me so I don't care very much.

On bosses I’m doing the following considerations:
    - Mineral II give me acid damage that is near useless for the most bosses (no, i’m not gonna tank the queen)
    - Mineral 2 heavy picks have 1d8 base damage vs 1d6 of MoPG
    - I won’t use 2 Min II and give up improved critical because I’m using it on RadII, smithing and banishing rapiers
    - Mineral II has bleed
    - Mineral II has holy (2d6) while MoPG has of course only good (1d6)

Given that, is worth use 5 o even 10 larges scales to craft 1 or 2 Mineral II instead 2 MoPG heavy picks "just" for bosses?

I’m looking forward to (hopefully) join some hard/elite raids so I’d like to know how this could be. Would you quest in hard/elite raids with a toon having MoPG?
    if you have +5 metalline of pg the difference is 4.2 average damage per hit (if you go holy/acid burst)

minII
    ((5 + 4.5 + 7) * 0.85) + ((5+4.5) *4 * 0.1 ) = 17.825 without modifications
    mopg
    ((5+3.5+3.5) * 0.85) + ((5+3.5)*4*0.1) = 13.6 without modifications
    Thelanis - Inferus Sus
    Keeper Refugee - Exclusively playing Warforged
    Nursing IsFutile (FvS) - Unorthodox Behaviour (Kensai) - Bigbofo (Warchanter) - Nukelear Blast (Sorc) - Jurugu Fleshbane (currently TRing) - Reviving IsCheaper (Radiant Blaster)

it really depends on how "wealthy" you are, what class you are. if you are a melee, a min2 is the 1st weapon u will craft. if you are a rogue (not that they are not melees), rad2 is what you want asap. if you hardly have any larges, then keeping them for other uses maybe wise, ie make hp item
    If you want to know why...

MineralII if you wanna go often on shroud/vod/tod in hard/elite
    LightningII if you go often normal

The catch is even specced for piercing weapons you can craft a set of Min II khopeshes to get a solid dps boost.
    Osmand d'Medani, Stonebearer Eric, Wardreamer

Quote Originally Posted by Aranticus View Post
    it really depends on how "wealthy" you are, what class you are. if you are a melee, a min2 is the 1st weapon u will craft. if you are a rogue (not that they are not melees), rad2 is what you want asap. if you hardly have any larges, then keeping them for other uses maybe wise, ie make hp item
    I already have RadII and 45hp item but maybe I can use 5 scales for a concordant opposition hp item on my warchanter bard instead on a MinII that has 4.2 average dmg on hit as blitzschlag stated... less than 1 dmg/swing each scales doesn't seem a good deal to me but i could be wrong.
    Thoughts?

@r3dl4nce: I have no problem on normal raids with MoPG, just wondering if someone gonna regret my presence in any hard/elite raid because of them

Quote Originally Posted by Krag View Post
    The catch is even specced for piercing weapons you can craft a set of Min II khopeshes to get a solid dps boost.
    nice tip but at this point wouldn't rapiers (15-20 x2 with imp crit) be better than kopeshes (19-20 x3 without imp crit)?

Community Member

nice tip but at this point wouldn't rapiers (15-20 x2 with imp crit) be better than kopeshes (19-20 x3 without imp crit)?
    minII got keen property
    Thelanis - Inferus Sus
    Keeper Refugee - Exclusively playing Warforged
    Nursing IsFutile (FvS) - Unorthodox Behaviour (Kensai) - Bigbofo (Warchanter) - Nukelear Blast (Sorc) - Jurugu Fleshbane (currently TRing) - Reviving IsCheaper (Radiant Blaster)

What he was implying is that the Min II Khopeshes would have the "Keen" Attribute, so 17-20/x3. They're also a higher base damage die, d10 versus d8.

You can be the rogue who uses piercing weapons and gets high crits/sneak versus trash mobs, then switch to being the powerful devil beater.

oh, yea, forgot about that

that make sense... grinding few more scales and calculating my "to hit" with -4...

oh, yea, forgot about that

that make sense... grinding few more scales and calculating my "to hit" with -4...
    Also don't forget that most raid bosses are easy to hit - and if you get the Bloodstone, the +6 seeker will compensate for the lack of proficiency on crits/confirming.

Icy burst on a metalline of PG weapon is essentially meaningless, since any boss who you need metal+good damage on is also going to ignore the ice damage.
    Kobold sentient jewel still hate you.

Bumping after some maths. I’d like to ask a check on it if someone can (I’m not good at number crunching)

I tryed to calculate the average damage/hit on a 40% fort boss (50% - 10% new opportunist rogue feat) using a MinII (holy) khop, rapier or heavy pick being a human rogue (no racial bonuses)

-Considering 100 swings and the treat range plus the fortification I had this:

Khop 17-20: 5 misses 83 hits 12 crits

Rapier 15-20: 5 misses 77 hits 18 crits

Heavy pick 19-20: 5 misses 89 hits 6 crits

-Having +38 dmg sustainable with raid buffs

Khop:
    5,5 base + 38 mod + 7 holy + 2,5 slicing = 53 avg dmg on regular hit
    (5,5 base + 38 mod +6 bloodstone)x3 + 7 holy +2,5 slicing = 158 avg dmg on crit hit

Rapier:
    4,5 base + 38 mod + 7 holy + 2,5 slicing = 52 avg dmg on regular hit
    (4,5 base + 38 mod +6 bloodstone)x2 + 7 holy +2,5 slicing = 106,5 avg dmg on crit hit

Heavy pick:
    4,5 base + 38 mod + 7 holy + 2,5 slicing = 52 avg dmg on regular hit
    (4,5 base + 38 mod +6 bloodstone)x4 + 7 holy +2,5 slicing = 203,5 avg dmg on crit hit

-Considering the math on 100 swings

Khop: 6295 dmg/100 hits = 63 avg dmg/hit

Rapier: 5921 dmg/100 hits = 59,2 avg dmg/hit

Heavy pick: 5849 dmg/100 hits = 58,5 avg dmg/hit

Does it make sense?
    If yes, khop will give me +4 avg dmg/hit and seems the way to go for sure.
    But my question then is: how bad is having it as non proficent weapon? Any information on elite bosses AC? I’m a little worried about it because I don’t want to miss on 2 or more.
    Plus I can use MinII rapiers on epic stuff if/when required while I don’t think I will in case of khops

Any comment/suggestion is welcome