Default Trap the Soul Weapons

I was wondering as how effective these weapons are on epic. They are a bit expensive to make so I was wondering if anyone with first hand experience with them could comment on their effectiveness or whether they even work on epic?

What is their proc chance? And is there is a save for the Trap the Soul effect when it does proc? And if there is whats the DC?

I refer you to this thread as a start.

Quote Originally Posted by SyrianSB View Post
    I was wondering as how effective these weapons are on epic. They are a bit expensive to make so I was wondering if anyone with first hand experience with them could comment on their effectiveness or whether they even work on epic?

What is their proc chance? And is there is a save for the Trap the Soul effect when it does proc? And if there is whats the DC?
    Ill try to answer this the best I can
    Von epic 1, 15 out of 32 vaccumed
    Epic Last stand 12 of 30 vaccumed
    Epic big top 1 of 5 vaccumed
    Von epic 1 11 of 32 vaccumed

So the proc rate is well worth the larges as you can see
    Don't congratulate mediocrity,It makes people comfortable with being Normal. (Hurtzz)
    Nameerror,Bluezz,Tankzz,Powersupply,Rezzin,Ohmzz, Critz,Skillzz,Bullzzeye,Frenzyzz,Killzz,Mishezz, Favorzz,Hurtzz,Stuntzz,Panttera,Stuntzz,Beastzz, and Sinnzz

So how often does "Trap the Soul" work?

I read on the "Loot Planner" that it supposedly only works once per rest on gaurds...what % on weapons?

I have a Lightning Strike and a Min 2 Greatsword on my WF FVS. It would seem trap the soul would be more of a dual-wielders type item?
    "Hireling" and "Hjealer"
    Member of THACO on Ghallanda

Stormreach Advisor
    Founder

Quote Originally Posted by Bacab View Post
    I read on the "Loot Planner" that it supposedly only works once per rest on gaurds...what % on weapons?
    The "once per rest" is an old rumor spread by someone who didn't do enough tests. Same for the HD limit it seems. There's a thread somewhere about all these effects and the facts & rumors about them.

Quote Originally Posted by Bacab View Post
    So how often does "Trap the Soul" work?

I have a Lightning Strike and a Min 2 Greatsword on my WF FVS. It would seem trap the soul would be more of a dual-wielders type item?
    The Guards proccing 1/rest is definitely myth. Its just a % chance of how much you get hit, just like with the weapons being a % chance of proc per strike.

Dual-wielders still normally start with Dual Min IIs, Lit IIs, or Rad II/Lit or Min II combos. While Trap the Soul is neat, it won't work on Red or Purple names, and most people are concerned more with bosses than obtaining Soul Gems that still don't have a great deal of utility. But when people have enough Larges.. well, there ya go. Specialty items can be made.

I'm not sure about the Proc Rate of this ability, but its probably either 5% or 2%, leaning more toward 2%.

I say it's best use would be on a ranged user where they have a chance to proc it on multiple monsters.

Community Member

Quote Originally Posted by thisgamesull View Post
    Ill try to answer this the best I can
    Von epic 1, 15 out of 32 vaccumed
    Epic Last stand 12 of 30 vaccumed
    Epic big top 1 of 5 vaccumed
    Von epic 1 11 of 32 vaccumed

So the proc rate is well worth the larges as you can see

Are these numbers kills per proc, kills per quest, or something else?

If these numbers are kills per proc then a ~50% chance seems reasonable.

Also, to piggyback on the OP's question...For a WSS user would picks or longswords be better?

Picks would be a lot more damage in case the proc doesn't happen. (synergy with mass hold)

Longswords would be a little more to-hit, and allow for fists of light and various finishers:

• Sun - help people's to-hit
    • Pos - help out with healing
    • Water - help casters
    Sarlona: Tobril | Syg | Trogbril | Warmachyne | Sql

YouTube | Twitch

The proc rate is 1% with DC30 will save. Same for guards.

Community Member LookingForABentoBox's Avatar

Do you guys think that this would be a waste on a two-handed char because of the low proc rate?
    Argonnessen mains: Pinku, Ohtaku

Quote Originally Posted by LookingForABentoBox View Post
    Do you guys think that this would be a waste on a two-handed char because of the low proc rate?
    But to add offhand attacks you'd need two weapons.

The good part is you don't need to crit, just need to hit it to have a chance of proccing.

Im making a set of Picks for both my Ranger and my Kensai--if that helps you out
    Hexxa CLR 25 *TR* * ~Hexanna ~*TR* FVS 25 * Hexecuter CLR 20 *Flexanna RGR/R/M 18/1/1 *TR* * Flexa FTR/R 18/2 TR * Hextravaganz Bard *TR* 18/2 * Hexotic Sorc 13 * Hexquisite Wiz 23 * ~~Quantum Entropy * SARLONA~~ - * and various other scoundrels

Thanks everyone for the answers.

Seems I will be making a set for myself soon enough.

Community Member LookingForABentoBox's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by donfilibuster View Post
    But to add offhand attacks you'd need two weapons.

The good part is you don't need to crit, just need to hit it to have a chance of proccing.
    I'm sorry I didn't understand your answer. I meant to ask is there any point of making a 2-handed weapon with trap the soul on it?
    Argonnessen mains: Pinku, Ohtaku