Page 16 of 20 FirstFirst ... 6121314151617181920 LastLast
    Community Member

Quote Originally Posted by Arcanejill View Post
    Can someone tell me how to zerg Devil Assault?
    Man, is that how I've been screwing up with Coyle all this time?
    A little snark, no vitriol.
    (with credit to HungarianRhapsody)

Graceana (currently a caster bard)
    My alts are put out to pasture
    The Casual Obsession
    Khyber

Community Member

Quote Originally Posted by Beer_Dude View Post
    An LFM for Shroud. The leader was only looking for levels 18-20. The leader was a 20 sorc with 2 levels of monk and 2 levels of pally. His LFM wanted healers and wizards no sorcs allowed. I had to ask why? And this was the reason.

According to him sorcs can't finger and wail the mobs in Shroud at level 20. They don't have enough pen/DC to do so because his can't he assumes all others can't. Once again noob just because you build a gimp doesn't mean we all do. This is no different than the tard ranger who has an LFM up looking for DPS but omits rangers in the LFM because he built a gimped one.

LOL you can't make this stuff up and come up with any better material than you already see on the LFMs.

LOL you can't make this stuff up and come up with any better material than you already see on the LFMs.__________________
    If the toon is named after a beer 15 of them are mine & 2 more not named after a beer (the black sheep of the family). All have 1750 + favor and most of them TR'd. Beware there are a few beer imposters out there. Unless the toon has been "Banned From All Guilds" it's a fake Beer_Dude. Fake Beer in your group leaves a nasty taste.
    Hey the person that posted the LFM was me, and I stand by my position of not letting the above person in. We ended up going with a FVS and it was one of the smoothest runs in a good while.

Reason: I am tired of all the newbs telling me that the only caster in a group should be using pots in P1. Yes, they exist and it is just dumb. As the poster of the above, obviously thinks he gets to play other peoples toons.
    Khyber:
    Lunality, Sorcality, Tunality, Axation, Causation, Shurality, Desparality, Stingality and a few more...
    Stingality

Community Member

Quote Originally Posted by LordTigerDawn View Post
    Hey the person that posted the LFM was me, and I stand by my position of not letting the above person in. We ended up going with a FVS and it was one of the smoothest runs in a good while.

Reason: I am tired of all the newbs telling me that the only caster in a group should be using pots in P1. Yes, they exist and it is just dumb. As the poster of the above, obviously thinks he gets to play other peoples toons.
    1. Beer_dude is not anywhere close to a newb. If you think a sorc can't handle portals though, you might be.

2. I have never known a caster to drink pots in pt 1. I call shenanigans.

3. Beer_dude wasn't playing anyone's toon but his own. He told you what he was capable of. By insisting no one could possibly build a better toon than you, YOU are the one playing other people's toons.

But hey! I'm glad you posted, because now I know your toon names to avoid

The Casual Obsession
    Khyber

Community Member

Quote Originally Posted by Grace_ana View Post
    1. Beer_dude is not anywhere close to a newb. If you think a sorc can't handle portals though, you might be.

2. I have never known a caster to drink pots in pt 1. I call shenanigans.

3. Beer_dude wasn't playing anyone's toon but his own. He told you what he was capable of. By insisting no one could possibly build a better toon than you, YOU are the one playing other people's toons.

But hey! I'm glad you posted, because now I know your toon names to avoid

I am really okay with that, your toons are not welcome in my party.

Never said Beer was a newb.
    So we agree drinking pots in p1 is not needed.
    He might have told me what he was capable of, but I fail to see why it is my problem if he lacks the ability to hit the lfm. He never did apply.

I did not say any one can not make a better toon than me. (because Tukaw is a total newb build, you are right), I am saying that there is less risk in taking a wiz for portal control, than taking a sorc... that was the post. If you disagree, that is your choice... Not my problem.
    Khyber:
    Lunality, Sorcality, Tunality, Axation, Causation, Shurality, Desparality, Stingality and a few more...
    Stingality

~ P h o e n i x - K n i g h t s ~
    ~Thyron || Trysania || Syzore ♠Orien♠ Orcitous || Thyborn || Kruusk~

He might have told me what he was capable of, but I fail to see why it is my problem if he lacks the ability to hit the lfm. He never did apply.

I did not say any one can not make a better toon than me. (because Tukaw is a total newb build, you are right), I am saying that there is less risk in taking a wiz for portal control, than taking a sorc... that was the post. If you disagree, that is your choice... Not my problem.
    Shroud norm, the DC's needed for auto success are ridiculously low.

And why on earth would anyone on Khyber deny the beer_dude for a shroud? he is the guy that can lead and complete elite while toasted.
    “Don't be buffaloed by experts and elites. Experts often possess more data than judgment. Elites can become so inbred that they produce haemophiliacs who bleed to death as soon as they are nicked by the real world.” General Colin Powell

Community Member

Quote Originally Posted by Ethiel View Post
    Shroud norm, the DC's needed for auto success are ridiculously low.

And why on earth would anyone on Khyber deny the beer_dude for a shroud? he is the guy that can lead and complete elite while toasted.

Shrug, maybe... either way for someone to be denied, he has to apply.
    Khyber:
    Stingality

Community Member

The point was not whether or not you should have accepted him. As you can see from his post, he never claimed to apply, just asked you a simple question and tried to educate you. And as he said, just because your build can't handle something doesn't mean everyone else's will fail too. I've run Shroud my fair share, and I've never seen a single issue with casters, wiz or sorc, clearing portal trash of all things. Failing DCs? Come on already.

The Casual Obsession
    Khyber

Quote Originally Posted by SyZoRe View Post
    Wait, a non-Drunken dwarf? Does not Compute.

Also, isn't that from Orien?
    Toons on Orien: Meinir // Flodur // Twiddler // Thorkar // Impetor // Juliacantor // Minor all Soko Irrlicht
    Quote Originally Posted by Vargouille View Post
    We may or may not intentionally insert in red herrings, purple mackerels, or horses of different colors. Void where prohibited. Not available in all planes of existence.

Shrug, maybe... either way for someone to be denied, he has to apply.
    So is one to gather then that the newer level 20 toons are incapable of handling low fort save trash mobs in normal shroud? Reading your comments in the original screenshot that appears to be what is implied. I would have taken issue with that as well.

if you think there is any "risk" in portal control, then we know who the comparative noob is here.... thats like requiring 3 Clerics in elite Reaver's fate pre-update, because the risk of getting wiped and running out of mana is too high or something
    you do know the dc to kill most of them is something like 35 right? any sorc can get that with ease...

even with no caster whatsoever they should fall in a matter of split seconds >.>.
    Last edited by stille_nacht; 10-10-2011 at 03:19 PM.
    adversity is something we face every day - for a true test, give someone power

Quote Originally Posted by stille_nacht View Post
    Click the arrow for Intro to Multiclassing
    Quote Originally Posted by stille_nacht View Post
    Frugal Pack Buying Guide

Pardon me for a slight derail, but there are basically three risks with portal control, as either a wizard or a sorcerer. First, the easiest to quantify: The wizard or sorcerer is overwhelmed and killed before able to cast. As wizards and sorcerers both have the same HP and defensive abilities for the most part, this is equal. Specifically, it should be negligible for both.

Second, the wizard or sorcerer will run out of SP before finished clearing. In this case, the wizard has a greater chance of this occuring by about 20%.

The third option is that the enemies will manage to save against the spells. Given a base DC of 10(base)+9(spell level)+(16+5+3+6=30 Int/Cha without tomes)10(stat)=29 saves against the enemies which likely have a Fort save of around 13-17*, and any race of wizard or sorcerer should still have more than a 50% chance to kill everything, without any special gear or spell focus. Just needs Heighten for the spells which aren't 9th level. Given sorcerers can take two Spell Focus feats, and get a +2 focus item, that's enough to ensure that the weaker enemies should be dying unless they get a 20. The ones that have high enough saves to be more problematic are much less dangerous. Still, sorcerers effectively have a 0-10% higher risk because of Spell DCs, assuming they both build for it. Of course, there's also the ability for sorcerers to kill the enemies by using their Spell Like Abilities, which while not as quick as instant death spells, are much cheaper to cast, and help negate the fourth (hidden) danger of portal clearing: Falling asleep while waiting for more enemies to spawn and dying without even being able to defend yourself.

*This is an educated guess based on several factors, including empirical data, CR of the quest, and race/class of the enemies spawned by the portals. If somebody wants to try a different estimate, simply place your number in place of this one, then subtract that number from the DC (add +2 to the DC for wizards, to simulate their PrE, as that is the only difference otherwise equally built characters would have) to compare the difference. For those who care, this means even if the saves are high enough to matter, it would be a 10% advantage to the wizard. Still not enough to mitigate the SP advantage the sorcerer has.

Sorry about the long winded math post, but I got curious about whether a sorcerer or wizard really was a greater risk, and wanted to take steps to prove it. The end result: Apparently sorcerers are the better choice, if you want a mathematically confirmed safer first part of the shroud. Realistically though, either one should be able to do the job.

Blogger and Hatchery Hero
    2015 DDO Players Council

i started running shroud on point's sorcerer life at around 17th, putting me at 15 levels of sorcerer. i cleared portals with finger, circle of death, and the occasional electric loop SLA for AE damage and CC together.

worked fine for me *shrug*

the official home of LOLWUT
    and R.O.G.U.E !
    Pointless/Frivolous/Beguiling/Justanotha Waste of Time, Katzklaw, Pickt d'Locks & etc
    Q: how do you get me to appear in a thread? A: ask a bard question! XD

So, now where is this heading?

if the run went fine the run went fine, but my question is who was killing the portal mobs and how many people were geared in the shroud. This makes a huge difference from a success to a fail.

also, isnt this suppose to be funny not dramitic as you clam to always have?

Quote Originally Posted by Grace_ana View Post
    The point was not whether or not you should have accepted him. As you can see from his post, he never claimed to apply, just asked you a simple question and tried to educate you. And as he said, just because your build can't handle something doesn't mean everyone else's will fail too. I've run Shroud my fair share, and I've never seen a single issue with casters, wiz or sorc, clearing portal trash of all things. Failing DCs? Come on already.
    I love you. In the pants.
    Awnoo . Mayonnaise . Cellebrian . Gawnaball . Gawna . Gawnaderp .
    Gawnasorc . Mamadapolis . Gawnahjeal . Winnar .
    Quote Originally Posted by Eladiun View Post
    Gawno is excrement; Gawna is excellent.

Community Member

@taurean:
    No, one can gather you were too lazy to read the whole thread.

@still_nacht:
    comparative newb - Well, obviously you do not run in enough pug groups. I was in a group that failed part 1, because the casters did not kill the portal keeper. It is rare, but it happens.

@siver:
    1) Not sure what you mean, I guess if you caster sits and pikes and dies it does matter if the caster is wiz or sorc?

2) Run out of sp... yeah sure that can happen.

3) You guys keep talking about DC's, but casters fail on spell pen too. Your 50% is more 25% if you count that in. And Oh wait... Which class in general (cause it is a PUG, not a guild run) has both higher DC and spell pen?

----

As much as you all feel awesome, and have to defend Beer Dude... there is a few things when that when this happened I did not know.

A) It was Beer Dude. Not that it matters, cause until today I thought he was an elitist, and best left ignored.
    B) It was a sorc toon talking to me.

All I knew at that time, was that is was a random (not sure my opinion on that one has changed) pming me, that he thought Sorcs could kill stuff too. Which really was a relief to me because I thought they were only good at making Raspberry Jam? <sarcasm>
    Khyber:
    Stingality

@taurean:
    No, one can gather you were too lazy to read the whole thread.

I'll only address what you sent my direction. You are wrong. My original failbuild of my main character over two years ago could finger trash mobs in the shroud. That build was a 13wizard/7fighter that was completely ineffective at what I was going for. If a toon with 13 wizard levels can finger mobs past SR and DC, that speaks to something.

Also, I read the entirety of any thread I post in. And you didn't answer my question, which was reasonable. Not sure where you are getting your ideas from, but clearly some of them are not accurate.

I like that we remove the names of people for this thread, so that we can have a chuckle at no one's expense.... and someone comes and defends themselves so now we can chuckle at them directly.
    For this, I say "thank you LordTigerDawn." You should have left well enough alone, but we're glad you didn't.

@still_nacht:
    comparative newb - Well, obviously you do not run in enough pug groups. I was in a group that failed part 1, because the casters did not kill the portal keeper. It is rare, but it happens.
    I think the real issue here is you've had a bad experience in a group that resulted in a fail and for some reason you are now blaming that fail on the class and not the actual person.

I have a capped TR wiz and a capped TR sorc. I don't have issues with either toon in shroud, especially in part 1 of all places. I haven't had issues there since I started running shroud on both of their TR lives at 15--before wail is even a possible option to use. And surprisingly, my sorc can outperform my wiz every single time in there.

So, what Beer_Dude and everyone else jumping on his "bandwagon" is trying to get across to you is that your thoughts on which class is the better option are incorrect and misguided. Bad players happen and fails happen, but neither is because the class itself isn't good enough. Keeping a class singled out because of a bad run with someone running a toon from it is really just ignorant. You should be taking this post and it's responses to heart next time---chances are, this many people saying you're wrong, well, probably means you're wrong!
    Duvessah-23TR Sr/Sr, Zephyyrus-26TR Cl/3xWz/Cl, Hasbigcrits-21 Ftr, Sneekin-22 Rogue
    Quina-17TR Expl/Wiz-Rog, Demeres-25TR Clg/Clg, Kissin-23TR Cl/Arti, Ziggee-4TR Bard,
    Eyshe-22 Favored Soul, Menddin-22 FVS, Zodagh-25 Barbarian, Teagon-11 Druid
    Groemph-17 shortbus build, Karevia-9 Wiz, Yysooomany-17 Pali >> Officer-The Ashen

Community Member

Quote Originally Posted by Zigana View Post
    I think the real issue here is you've had a bad experience in a group that resulted in a fail and for some reason you are now blaming that fail on the class and not the actual person.

I have a capped TR wiz and a capped TR sorc. I don't have issues with either toon in shroud, especially in part 1 of all places. I haven't had issues there since I started running shroud on both of their TR lives at 15--before wail is even a possible option to use. And surprisingly, my sorc can outperform my wiz every single time in there.

So, what Beer_Dude and everyone else jumping on his "bandwagon" is trying to get across to you is that your thoughts on which class is the better option are incorrect and misguided. Bad players happen and fails happen, but neither is because the class itself isn't good enough. Keeping a class singled out because of a bad run with someone running a toon from it is really just ignorant. You should be taking this post and it's responses to heart next time---chances are, this many people saying you're wrong, well, probably means you're wrong!
    Lol... no it really means, the elitist groups really are not as good as most people give them credit for.

As I have said before, I stand by my decision. It was based on the average for a first life wizard vs sorc. Like so many on these forums they take the ultimate geared 19th life toon and compare it to everything else and say you are wrong. My response is put your epeen away.

If you choose to stand by your 19th life toon, and say I am wrong... I have a different opinion of you.
    Khyber:
    Stingality

Page 16 of 20 FirstFirst ... 6121314151617181920 LastLast