Default once again, a suggestion for PvP

Not now, not soon, but a long time from now, after the many essentials that aren't in the game yet have been put in, (most notable the base classes, races and the prestige enhancements) I think that we should look at PvP in DDO.

But not player vs. player combat. That can never happen.

I'm talking about some kind of player vs. player competitions.

Competitions where the players don't fight each other, but where they play some sort of game against each other. Like an archery contest or something.

This way people can have there PvP but DDO stays a PvE game when it comes to combat like it is now. And it might satisfy the players that want PvP some.

Some ideas

Archery contests

Players could use a bow or ranged weapon of choice to shot at various kinds of targets, moving, stationary, large, small excreta. No auto-targeting so you actually need to aim instead of just tabbing and clicking.

This would be something that would be relatively easy to set up and you could do a ton of different things with it. The only unfair advantage I could see is someone having a faster fire rate because of class or gear. And that could be easily fixed by having the option to set everyone to the same speed.

This could also be helpful in the normal game. You know how you can miss your shots if the mob is running around? What’s a better way to get some practice shooting moving targets than to go down to the shooting range?

Kill contest

You’re thrown into various arenas full of reappearing mobs. Different mobs are worth different amounts of points. Whoever gets the most points wins.

Again, this would be easy to set up and there is a lot you could make with it. Of course there isn't really much to this one because you could do this with just any old quest. So maybe there could be different types of games. A no magic arena that's just for the melees and a separate area with no attacking or something that just for casters. An arena that has a no healing and/or consumables rule, as an endurance test to see how long you can last before you die.

Now really, what would be wrong with doing something like this one day in the future? It wouldn’t be that hard to do and it wouldn’t change the rest of the game at all.
    Last edited by jcTharin; 08-27-2010 at 08:56 PM.
    Quote Originally Posted by DoctorWhofan View Post
    DDDDDddddddDDDOOOOOOOooooOOOODOOOOOOMMMMMMmmmmmMMM MM!!!111!!!!!1!

Yes to mini-games.

For the archery bit, it sounds really fun.

No to the kill contest because that sounds boring.

This really isn't a PvP thread but more of a 'Mini-games' thread.
    In case you didn't already notice, my posts that end with must NEVER EVER, under any circumstances, be taken seriously.

http://forums.ddo.com/showthread.php?p=3012617

Halfling Soccer

You try to punt a halfling into your opponent's net by hitting it. Depending where you hit it and how fast it is already going depends on the speed and direction of the halfling. As the match progresses beasties may come out to hinder the players (rust monsters, beholders, mind flayers, ice flensers, etc.) and items pop up that allow you to charm said beasties so they stop harming your team while still harassing your opponents.
    Server - Thelanis
    Diaries of a True Reincarnate (Wizard, Sorcerer, Melee, Divine, Artificer, Druid)

Quote Originally Posted by AyumiAmakusa View Post
    Yes to mini-games.

For the archery bit, it sounds really fun.

No to the kill contest because that sounds boring.

This really isn't a PvP thread but more of a 'Mini-games' thread.
    True, but what i really want is to be able to play against someone at something other than just fighting them.

and yes the kill contest does sound bad the more i think about it. but its all that i could think of at the moment.

I do like the idea of an endurance thing though. get thrown into an arena and see how long you can last without any healing. or if your a caster see how long you can last with what sp you have and no way to get it back.
    Last edited by jcTharin; 08-27-2010 at 09:26 PM.
    Quote Originally Posted by DoctorWhofan View Post
    DDDDDddddddDDDOOOOOOOooooOOOODOOOOOOMMMMMMmmmmmMMM MM!!!111!!!!!1!