Community Member

Default Greensteel Min2: Great Axe or Falchion?

I've got a Warforged THF bard...base str of 18 + all level-ups. That would put his eventual str at the following:
    18 base
    +5 level
    +2 tome
    +6 item
    +2 exc str
    +1 exc str
    34 total str pre-buffs

This could be pushed higher by rage spell, yug pots, madstone boots if the situation calls for it (doubt that would be very often though), etc.

I'm starting to plan out my greensteel weapon and I'm stuck on great axe or falchion. At that level of str am I better off with the 2d6/15-20 x2 crits of the Falchion or the 3d6/19-20 x3 crits of the Great Axe? Keep in mind too that I *should* have a bloodstone before the Greensteel and that I'll always be running max warchanter song which gives me even more base damage to add in before crits. And I'll also have the maxed out (or at least 2/3) of the Warforged Power Attack line adding to the already huge pre-crit numbers.

Finally, on each of those weapons (Falchion/GAxe) am I better off with the 2d6 damage of Holy or the 1d6 Good +bonus crit damage (3d6 for Falchion/4d6 for GAxe)?

Community Member

Found a great tool I thought I'd share with anyone that stumbles on this post.

DDO Melee Damage calculator

Obviously every situation is different but it looks like on 0% fortification the Falchion just edges out the Great Axe. The thing is, there are plenty of times where there's more fortification than that which would bring the extra 1d6 of damage from the Great Axe ahead. And there are also plenty of times where you'll have auto-crits where the Great Axe will blow away the Falchion. Given that I'm likely to make only one greensteel it tipped the scales toward the more versatile Great Axe for me but I'd highly recommend people spend some time playing with the calculator to look at their specific situation. I know it really put things into perspective for me.