Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Default $*&% Jim!! I'm a TR...Not a mapmaker!!

I'm a relatively new TR...just got my barb to lvl 14. Been following the max-DPS THF build from the forums,
    which I read quite often when I encounter something about DDO that's new to me.

He's got three pieces of greensteel gear, madstone boots, a bloodstone (from grinding NOT purchased),
    the 22 spell resist ring from Hound, Terror, Silver Flame Talisman, some decent stuff, not the best.
    Point is: he's been grinding it out for a little while...

I get it that maybe I'm not the best player and that maybe TR isn't for every toon fresh off the
    boat in Korthos, but I feel my toon deserved a TR promotion from the gimped mess that he was.

/rant on

Over the weekend, I joined a PUG looking for DPS in a wilderness area walkup, non-flagging quest (in progress).
    I explained that it was my first time on this quest and would you mind guiding me to the entrance.
    Party leader was polite and indicated that he was already inside, but that he would re-run the quest when finished and guide me to entrance. Thanks!!

Where it gets interesting is that another party member starts sending me tells, berating me for being a TR that doesn't know where the quest entrance is.
    Some gems in quotes:

"How can you not know this map inside and out?"

"Aren't you a TR?"

"You should be guiding everyone else!??"

"Guess they'll let anyone with enough TP true rez."

*sigh*

I excused myself, dropped group, and squelched...no time to debate jerks.

Yes, I'm a TR, and with the right gear that means I can hit pretty hard...but it doesn't make me a cartographer.
    If one of the conditions for being a TR in your party is that I memorize every walkup, non-flagging quest entrance in every wilderness area...
    then PM me your toons so we can squelch each other and save us from the inevitable disappointment.

/rant off

Hi Welcome
    Last edited by Ravelock; 08-18-2010 at 07:22 AM. Reason: spelling error

There's some great maps of several explorer areas here:

http://forums.ddo.com/showthread.php?t=99331
    Sohryu ~ Raven's Guard ~ Orien

Quote Originally Posted by Lynnabel View Post
    Traps in DDO don't actually deal damage, they politely ask your avatar to damage themselves.

I hear and understand, as a F2P who went and TR'd I find that plenty of the lower level content that I skipped the first time around is all fresh to me.

The house P quests, Shan to Khor (Sp?) restless isles and many more, some that I ran through briefly as a 20 others first time. Half the reason I TR'd is I hit 20 without experiencing half the game.

When TR first became an option it was dominantly a vet only thing, but now months later many others are TR'ing and its no longer safe to assume they know everything, or even care to know everything, this is a big game, and memorizing every quest, especially the lower ones you dont grind out at 20 its simply a task most dont want to do.

I don't get people who join quests IP and then ask for someone to guide them to the quest.
    That being said, I also generally don't get why people feel the need to send tells telling others they're gimp.

In any event, Maps are your friend.

http://forums.ddo.com/showthread.php?t=99331
    http://ddowiki.com/page/Wilderness_adventure_area

Two excellent resources that will let you find your way to said quests.

Next time, dont give the punk so much of your energy. He's not worth it. Just ignore him.

I know how you feel. I am in the same boat and I still know almost nothing about gianthold. Sorry just never went there my first time through the levels. Just did not like the look of it and did not really need the xp from there. Now I do need (or at least want) the xp from GH, so trying to learn it.

Community Member

The problem is that some people equate TR with Vet and a lot of game knowledge. When TRing first came out...yes if you saw a TR chances where it was one of the old Vets...now it can be somebody starting their second month of play. this is the attitude you got...from that party member. Some folks still feel that Tring should only be done by the experienced. Me I don't care.....I don't judge a book by it's cover....there are some wonderfully knowledgeable Trs and some real noobs. But don't demand or expect anything from anyone and you will never be disappointed. anyways you did the right thing...move on and forget about it.

That is the best subject line for a post ever!

And you make a really good point.

When I see the TR "wings" I pretty much assume the person has done whatever quest we are on a zillion times. Now I never, ever would send anyone tells dogging them for anything in game, that is just extremely rude. But I never thought about it that TR doesn't mean "had the game memorized".

Thanks for the chuckle this moring and I will think twice the next time I group w/ a TR.

Default Valid point

Quote Originally Posted by Khurse View Post
    I don't get people who join quests IP and then ask for someone to guide them to the quest.
    You make a very valid point about joining in progress LFMs when you don't know where entrance is. I will take that into consideration.

To those posting maps: Thanks. I have seen them and will work on learning them in more detail.

Dude I've been playing since pre-order and I still don't know where everything is and have to ask directions. Sometimes its just becaues I havent ran something in couple of years. Flip side I have a friend who quit for about 2.5 years came back and remembered where everything was.

I have been playing since 2006...but the last updates after unlimited went live I have pretty much stayed away from.
    I just leveled a toon and decided to try some.

I joined a group and I did not recognize the quest, did not know where it was, nothing.

I looked in the compendium and it mentioned something about the 12 (the in game list of quests) and no one shared it with me.

To save face I had to go online and search for the quest name to find the quest giver and location...I finally did.

This game has always had a knack for just not giving you that kind of information at all. If the players did not write anything down for others it would be 'good luck finding any quests'...

eventually you may run it once or 300 times...you'll know where it is then.

Cool

Im going to be a jerk and point out that the proper term is "Cartographer" becuase i have nothing better to do right now.

Quote Originally Posted by Laeril View Post
    Im going to be a jerk and point out that the proper term is "Cartographer" becuase i have nothing better to do right now.
    "because"

ditto

Quote Originally Posted by Laeril View Post
    PWNED. Thanks. I've edited the original post, BECAUSE I hate poor spelling =)

Quote Originally Posted by Ravelock View Post

Yes, I'm a TR, and with the right gear that means I can hit pretty hard...but it doesn't make me a cartographer.
    Epic thread title & +1 for making me smile

It's easy to get to cap without having done half the quests in this game. I pulled my paladin out of retirement and did a tr on him. He had over 1750 favor at level 10 and I've capped toons that don't have even 1500 favor.
    Ghallanda
    Volver life 3 lvl 20 sorc - 4 Epic /// Adept life 3 lvl 2mnk/17pal /// Vindicate life 6 lvl 18rgr/1ftr/1clr - 2 Epic /// [COLOR="Red"]

Quote Originally Posted by MrWizard View Post
    I have been playing since 2006...but the last updates after unlimited went live I have pretty much stayed away from.
    I just leveled a toon and decided to try some.

I joined a group and I did not recognize the quest, did not know where it was, nothing.

I looked in the compendium and it mentioned something about the 12 (the in game list of quests) and no one shared it with me.

To save face I had to go online and search for the quest name to find the quest giver and location...I finally did.

This game has always had a knack for just not giving you that kind of information at all. If the players did not write anything down for others it would be 'good luck finding any quests'...

eventually you may run it once or 300 times...you'll know where it is then.
    While I can understand the frustration. I don't really "get it." Aside from sending an in game mail every time you level with a list of all the quests that just opened up and exactly where to go to get it, what more can the game do?

You see the quest name and open your compendium in game
    You hover of the quest and it tells you the name of the quest giver and the zone they are in
    You go to the zone and open the map and hover over each chalice to find the quest giver
    Don't see them? Go inside the buildings and look for the chalice

While the walk up quests are a completely different animal and require knowing the map, having a guide or wandering, any quest that is a normally granted quest is already easy to locate.

Community Member Dozen_Black_Roses's Avatar

I think most people expect that if you are that invested in your character that you have leveled to 20 and TR'd, yes you should know where any established quests are. There are obvisously some exceptions for rarely run quests, or for quests just added in recent updates that people may have not run yet. But yes if I see a TR, I tend to assume you know where quests are.

Certainly if you have had the knowledge to know research how to craft three pieces of greensteal gear , you should take those same skills to add some map sites to your favorite lists and learn where things are. Now, I wouldnt go sending you tells to berate you that's a bit much, but after if I had a few seconds I would probably have a laugh privately with friends over how someone could TR, craft 3 gs items, be well geared raid item wise and still not know where such and such is or how to find it on a map.
    Shogyo Mujo (Nothing lasts forever and everything must change).
    @>---Fuhgly, Suzee, Blohnde, Shakkei, Redhawt, Sanctified, Punkrawk, Gaelsong, Deviliscious, Liethal----<@

Odd things start to happen when you take a real life family man/mother/twenty something nobody in their parents basement and give them a magical sword, turn them into a mythical being and grant them the ability to shoot magic from their fingers and toes. By odd things, I mean they transform into incredible D bags. I'm not going to make a sweeping generalization and tell you all vets are jerk offs or everyone who has played less than 20 years of DDO is mentally deficient. The game is escapism, and for some reason a percentage of the game playing population has chosen to escape into d*****baggery. I'm can't claim to be a DDO expert, but I can claim to be an expert on d*****. Sir, I have seen some incredible feats of dbaggery in DDO.

I don't think there's anything wrong with not knowing where things are, they don't have TomToms in ddo. . . not yet. I don't think there's anything wrong with doing a quest for the first time and not knowing the quest specifics. Some people like to play the game more than they like reading about playing the game which just needs to be accepted.

Being a TR doesn't mean much more than having a level 20 character which from what I have gathered is slightly more bragable than having a shopping cart full of cans. Short of having a few dozen academic papers published on D&D race relations, class hierarchy and stratification, and maybe a few short ones on strategy the DDO elitest constituent sees you as a dribbling moron capable nothing more than defecating and jabbering incoherently.

More importantly, if everyone knew everything there was to know about DDO there would be nothing left to complain about and the forums would shut down entirely. Plus, they don't really call it adventuring when you know a everything that's going to happen. . . that's called the movie "Next" starring Nicholas Cage, and it was awful.

The other thing is that even vets who are going for completionist may not know anything at all about the classes they've never played before. Someone who pretty much played only clerics and an arcane or two might not be the best melee ever on their completionist fighter life. Also they might be undergeared for a fighter life if they're planning on just going back to something else. TR cache can have a lot of stuff in it that's completely not useful for the life you're on right now.

The only thing you can assume about a TR is that they capped once at least. Beyond that, they're like any other character - they just need more XP.
    Please split the class forums into REAL subcategories this is a jumbled mess.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast