Thread: Starting New

Default Starting New

So lately I've been playing a lot on this fair server. My main is a Spellsinger, using THF with master's touch but mostly a healing Bard until I can swap out low level heals for CC spells.

On my home server, I have a lot of things I used to take for granted. But here... I rely on the kindness of strangers and my Bard's high haggle!

Levels 4-6 went by quickly enough, pugs were so terrible I almost considered leaving, but I had hope for the higher levels. Finally met a few good players and nice people. I asked in trade if anyone was buying festival coins so I could buy some cure wands and a kind soul sent me 5k plat that disappeared really quickly on cure wands and a few curse and poison pots. I was appalled to be in groups that needed heals and not even be able to afford ONE cure moderate wounds wand on my own from selling vendor trash. (With Bard haggle no less!)

Levels 6-7 were spent almost exclusively in Delera's, hunting down Carnifex. I also bought Mace of the Wraith from the AH because I couldn't find any other ghost touch anything that was affordable. Nothing useful dropped, and I could barely afford cure wands after each quest much less stocking up on haste pots, etc etc.

From 8-13 I was lucky to catch a few veteran players on fast leveling sprints, which was rather awesome. However... if 2 relative strangers hadn't given me 10k plat each I'd be in even deeper trouble than I am now.

It's just odd. You play one character to cap and suddenly you're not worried about finding portable holes, or large collectible bags, or ff items, or weapons that are actually USEFUL, or stat items. You might worry about affording spectral gloves or a flawless dragonshard, but not about basics like that.

So here I am, level 13 on a new server. Minos in helm slot... using the starter greatsword and Carnifex... and Mace of Smiting for constructs. LOL!

So why am I writing this?

Ease up on the newbies, all you vets.

All those clueless newbies who don't have haste pots, curse pots, etc... well... I KNOW better and still didn't have them, just due to lack of plat. Heh.

Try it. Go play on another server where you have nothing... and you can't twink out the lowbie with 200 pots each of rage, haste, curse, poison, disease, cure/repair serious, etc. Where you don't have level-appropriate gear for 2,4,6,7,9,11,13,15 waiting for you. No tomes, no underwater action items, nothing but what drops and what is given to you and what you can scrape up the plat for. Where you have 4 inventory tabs until level 20 and can't even loot anything in shroud to sell to be able to get a portable hole off the AH. It's a challenge.

It's also a real eye-opener.

I am so grateful for my home server's luxuries now. And so thankful to the people I grouped with on the new one who helped out. Someone I grouped with gave me 20 taps because I hit 11 and only had 5 taps gathered. So I gave away the 5 I had to someone else... and the someone else gave me some plat anyway which was sweet.

PS: Please don't send me stuff from reading this, I wanted the experience of being new, and only being helped by people I group with who choose to be generous. It's been really interesting so far!

Also writing this down so hopefully I remember once I'm doing well here on Ghallanda.
    Please split the class forums into REAL subcategories this is a jumbled mess.

Well for a lot of vets this is actually just as easy as starting a twink toon here. I have a lowbie (ml8 ranger) toon over on thelanis that has over 500k plat just from selling collectables and I've bought greater banes off the auction house and from house d vendor over there. I thought I was "starting from scratch," but really it was more like delaying the inevitable.

I get your main point of easing up on new players, but here's the problem. I have tried several times to help a new player out with tips every now and again. The only thing I got from these attempts were very adamant refutes to everything I said, because they'd been told over "advice" channel that what they know is true. I don't know who decided that the advice channel would be a good idea, but it really should either be removed or there should be some kind of requirement to even be able to give advice over there. I'm never hard on a new player for not knowing something. I am hard on them for pretending they know things when they don't. The new players that are open to help and willing to take advice every now and again are the ones that get it. The ones that come in and aren't willing to listen and pretend they're "5year vets" (See? blatant lying) are the ones that push my buttons. So, in the end, my advice is: NEW PLAYERS, we can tell when someone's pretending to be a vet and spouting nonsense.
    Dreadbringer::DreadEngine::DreadCountes::DreadWarrior::DreadMaster::PinkyDiddles::Lennal::DreadMistres::DreadMatron::DreadCherub::DreadKing::More Coming!

yeah irinis! (Nisero here)

Quote Originally Posted by irinis
    From 8-13 I was lucky to catch a few veteran players on fast leveling sprints, which was rather awesome. However... if 2 relative strangers hadn't given me 10k plat each I'd be in even deeper trouble than I am now.
    hehe

Don't forget the 50 tele scrolls and the random plat I gave ya

Btw to all who run with her... DO NOT PIKE
    Quote Originally Posted by Tolero
    "That's cause you're a noob..."

Quote Originally Posted by irinis
    So I gave away the 5 I had to someone else... and the someone else gave me some plat anyway which was sweet.
    Forgot about that! Thanks for the taps ps

Thanks for the reminder to go sell some collectibles.

Agreed, the advice channel has variable quality. Noobs will be noobs, no matter how long they've been playing. My new policy is to not be mad at anyone under level 10 for cluelessness and especially for lack of potions... but by level 10 or 12 you should at least begin to "get it" a bit more if you're actually interested in learning about the game and not just coasting along on bad advice.

Quote Originally Posted by stormarcher View Post
    hehe

Don't forget the 50 tele scrolls and the random plat I gave ya

Btw to all who run with her... DO NOT PIKE
    LMAO! You would have been safe if it hadn't been VON4.

Also thanks for the scrolls, yes.

Quote Originally Posted by efreet5 View Post
    I'm never hard on a new player for not knowing something. I am hard on them for pretending they know things when they don't.
    Exactly. Like the guy joining a raid that had 230 HP at cap; we offered to give him a GFL item FOR FREE; and he refused because "he can play his toons how he wants."
    sravana, kirtana, smarana, dasya, atma-nivedana
    ...NAMASTE...

Quote Originally Posted by Samadhi View Post
    Exactly. Like the guy joining a raid that had 230 HP at cap; we offered to give him a GFL item FOR FREE; and he refused because "he can play his toons how he wants."
    Ouch. lol!

Quote Originally Posted by stormarcher View Post
    yeah Irinis! (nisero Here)

Hehe

Don't Forget The 50 Tele Scrolls And The Random Plat I Gave Ya

Btw To All Who Run With Her... do Not Pike
    My Scrolls!!

Community Member UnderwearModel's Avatar

Default Precisely why I like to send stuff

to new players.

Some vets can be real, uh, uh, uh, colorful. Some vets I purposefully do not group with.

I have more stuff than I need or use, lots of stuff occupying a bank slot that I don't use. Eventually, I choose to give it away.

Sometimes, I can't even give stuff away though. I offer and no one wants it.
    Quote Originally Posted by FlimsyFirewood View Post
    Monster AI tends to be a limitation of the engine - smart AIs cause more server lag. Boy am I going to get quoted on that or what.
    I survived the scary events in 2009, 2010, and 2011. 2011 did not reward those that played by the rules.

Default Never.

Ease up!!! Are ya Nuts? This is Ghallanda!

Ya want sensitivity?--->Sensitivity: 1. In psychology, the quality of being sensitive. As, for example, sensitivity training, training in small groups to develop a sensitive awareness and understanding of oneself and of ones relationships with others.

I think over on Thelanis they do that.
    Balmudo - Defro - Hoka - Kenicki - Mato - Skag - Slob - Smokestone - Uffta - Wiyaka

Quote Originally Posted by Junts View Post
    My Scrolls!!
    :P

Well, thank you too then!

Quote Originally Posted by Junts View Post
    My Scrolls!!
    I sent you a fragrant drowshood and ill send you more

Haha blank rep.

Agree with the OP, but only as far as newbies go.

At one time we were all running around Stormreach clueless and wide-eyed at each new area, item, mob etc. With some determined questing at a few helpful tips from our peers we got better. (subject to inerpretation some days, but I can't be perfect all the time )

Noobs on the other had really earn my ire. I like to help those new to the game in the hope that it will someday add another decent player to the pool available, but when you get some know-it-all bragging that he has a level 6 character and therefore knows everything about the game...

//takes a deep breath

Anyway, as a refugee player from the EU I have had to start from scratch since moving over recently and it is a challenge making yourself self-sufficient at the start.

I hate you, you said you would NEVER tel anyone. I hope you burn in Heck,.

Community Member

I know how you feel - tried out pugging on ghallanda yesterday for a bit, just to see. Fell into a group with one very good player and a load of chaff. I was the cleric. I burnt through a pile of cure mod wands, got nothing replaced. Normally I wouldn't think twice about this, but I was surprised nobody even offered anything. I am just glad that I was fortunate enough to find and sell a small eberron dragonshard fragment, or I would never have been able to afford the wands in the first place. And surprised that the good player in the group didn't consider that I might be completely strapped. But I guess there's no way of flagging yourself as a new account - and if there was I might have found it hard to get a spot as a healer either way. In many ways it's a nice change being broke. Perhaps it was dumb of me to start with a cleric...

Quote Originally Posted by SlogUK View Post
    I know how you feel - tried out pugging on ghallanda yesterday for a bit, just to see. Fell into a group with one very good player and a load of chaff. I was the cleric. I burnt through a pile of cure mod wands, got nothing replaced. Normally I wouldn't think twice about this, but I was surprised nobody even offered anything. I am just glad that I was fortunate enough to find and sell a small eberron dragonshard fragment, or I would never have been able to afford the wands in the first place. And surprised that the good player in the group didn't consider that I might be completely strapped. But I guess there's no way of flagging yourself as a new account - and if there was I might have found it hard to get a spot as a healer either way. In many ways it's a nice change being broke. Perhaps it was dumb of me to start with a cleric...
    Yeah reimbursement at the low levels was extremely rare, even when you say "hey guys this is a tough quest at level and I'd like to get a couple of cure moderate wands to use on you guys, if anyone can chip in for the cost that'd be great because I don't have that much plat here yet." But then, I was on a Bard. That group wiped in Butcher's path after I used up my ONE cure light wounds wand that was all I could afford hehe. After that I tried to sell Festival Coins in the trade channel and someone sent me some plat thank goodness.

Higher levels, certain people start off the quest giving you something. Usually the sign of a good player who knows how to get on a healer's good side!

I usually try to offer the healer / healers support to the healing-foundation. The last months in Keeper people usually didnt want any.. same when for me when I was the healer. I do that even now, the best as I can when having a lvl2 fighter with 147 plat :-)... its fun on other hand to be back into the 2006 beginning and... well you know (missing gear/plat & stuff).
    Ex-Keeper EUbie known as:
    Drenglis,...many more on 3 accounts ... forgot the rest!
    And yes... I'm a PROUD GREEN MUPPET and now a days a Dirty Monkey!... And now someone made me the guild leader

Like the guy joining a raid that had 230 HP at cap;
    Well... my capped 28 pointer wizard (on EU servers without the existance of Greater Hearts), casual player, and seriously gimped has a little less than that.

we offered to give him a GFL item FOR FREE; and he refused because "he can play his toons how he wants."
    And I can see how THAT might be the bigger problem...
    Well, you can in turn choose to spend a res on him or not, like *you* want...

That's been a long-standing tradition in groups of my friends: who outruns the cleric... does so on his own risk. And the cleric is a low-strength healbot halfling in a full plate with a notorious heavy load.
    Jontas Rosevalley d'Jorasco

Previously from Keeper/EU, now happy on Ghallanda.
    Guild: Amity Keepers