Page 7 of 7 FirstFirst ... 34567

Quote Originally Posted by Gunga View Post
    I'm far too controversial not to be telling this forum its business.
    fixed
    <I Do Haste Potions>
    Quote Originally Posted by Patience View Post
    gamblerjoe is right
    Calistica-Cannacon-Drrokso-Noghud-Slashdance-Tinnn-Beasler-Murdertrain

Quote Originally Posted by ThePrincipal View Post
    Rape is a word with several meanings and the dictionary lists 14.

The "fighter" could have meant "an act of plunder, violent seizure, or abuse; despoliation; violation: the rape of the countryside" while the OP (for whatever reason) only considered the forced sexual encounter definition. Horray for jumping to conclusions and running to the forum to post about it!
    The proposed use by the speaker/typer of the word is not the hurtful part, it's the interpretation of those who heard it, thats the important part.

The persons who use it in a business/public atmosphere are better off to learn this now, before they say it front of someone who was traumatized hears it, and reports it or worse.

Rape is a word you dont use right up there with the N word and the C word. just dont use it.
    Shaamis is REBORN! Stronger!Faster! DRUNKER THAN EVER!!! - DeathSmile Guild on Hardcore - The Drunken Monk of Stormreach on all other servers!

Why so much drama?
    /report /squelch if you feel like it and move on.
    Osmand d'Medani, Stonebearer Eric, Wardreamer

Quote Originally Posted by Ranmaru2 View Post
    Knowing people that have had this happen to them and still being able to joke around with them using the word rape, I can say that the whole "it's offensive PERIOD" stance is false. Just like the word "Comrade."
    If a woman knows someone very well, and knows they are not meaning it THAT way when they say it, I can see it as being acceptible. I know that if it is said in the wrong way, by a person he/she don't know, I bet he/she can have a different feeling about the words coming out of that strangers mouth

It's not *** for tat, and old wounds shouldnt give you the right to overlook or revisit wounds on others. its just not nice.

Quote Originally Posted by Ranmaru2 View Post
    Do you go yelling at the management of a baseball team at their stadium because you were a citizen in a war and they use the old "buddabumbum bumBUM! CHARGE!" thing? Probably not.
    Unfortunately I wasnt around back then, but if I was personally traumatized by the event that usually followed the trumpet/drumbeat "CHARGE!!!", YES, I might. Remember, we are talking about a very personal violation here, not a nationality-wide or country-wide phenominae.

Rape is a hurtful word, just like the N word, and the C word. Even if one person that hears it has a chance to be offended, it shouldnt be used, thats what American society is right now, the good and the bad.
    Shaamis is REBORN! Stronger!Faster! DRUNKER THAN EVER!!! - DeathSmile Guild on Hardcore - The Drunken Monk of Stormreach on all other servers!

Quote Originally Posted by Krag View Post
    Why so much drama?
    /report /squelch if you feel like it and move on.
    Me personally, I would have made a mental note, and politely ignored it, but if it became the "saying of the quest series" followed by "LOLs, I can do you one better" with no regard for who might be hearing in the background speakers of other players, I would have finished that part, left, and put them on my "friends" list

Community Member

Quote Originally Posted by ThePrincipal View Post
    Rape is a word with several meanings and the dictionary lists 14.

The "fighter" could have meant "an act of plunder, violent seizure, or abuse; despoliation; violation: the rape of the countryside" while the OP (for whatever reason) only considered the forced sexual encounter definition. Horray for jumping to conclusions and running to the forum to post about it!
    The connotation of the word rape in "todays" society is very powerful and without doubt widely taken to mean a physically and mentally violent torturous act, degrading, often destructive leading to severe bodily and mind damage and in many occasions death. You can be as vocal as you want about dictionary explanations but the fact is what I just said. In this case if you people who think banding about this word in such an irresponsible and disrepectful way is acceptable try talking to a victim or to a dear loved one of a victim that isnt with them anymore.

I wonder just how much of the worlds society is ignorant and naieve and how much is really just callous, selfish and disgusting.
    Last edited by joneb1999; 08-16-2010 at 06:57 AM.
    **********KNIGHTSOFSHADOW ***********
    CUDGOCleric 16/ Fighter 2 TR2 AXEFISTBarbarian 20
    CELESTERAFvS 20 FEYNASorc 17 CUDGERogue 17

Quote Originally Posted by Adarro View Post
    Well said... although my ideal world is NOT walking on eggshells. I'd honestly rather accidentally offend someone and make up for it than miss out on so much more because I didn't want to risk hurting somebody.

On a much needed lighter note, we come here to game, to relax and unwind, and enjoy. So that's really what we should be doing instead of looking out for the ugly in the world.
    I happen to agree with this. I also think that calling someone out for being offensive is just fine as well. I think that what the OP said in response to the "Fighter: Yeah I'm going to rape all these kobolds!" was great. I say something similar to the high school students in my classes when they call something "gay". I don't give them a detention for calling something "gay".

This is not my classroom, however. This is Turbine's game and they've made it clear that offending even just a few players is grounds for moderator action both in game and on the forums.

When someone said that another phrase that had offended people was all in good fun, Tarrant responded with
    http://forums.ddo.com/showthread.php?t=268372
    Quote Originally Posted by Tarrant View Post
    Your definition of fun may not jive with other people's. We look out for the community as a whole.
    I'll leave out the quotes from other Dev comments, PM's and deleted threads because I don't want to pick up any infraction points just for talking about infraction points.

They're not going to tolerate any kind of language that offends people even if it's just lighthearted and mildly snarky. I'm pretty sure that they'll whip out the ban hammer for people who use the N-word or talk about raping people, question someone's sexuality or suggest that someone needs to get laid based on that person's in-raid comments.

Edit: fixed formatting.
    Last edited by PopeJual; 08-16-2010 at 07:22 AM.

Default Historically

correct me if im wrong but didnt the norse vikings use to rape and pillage villages?

Default Please

To the OP/

Please look up my characters and plan on never running w/ me in this game.

You disagree with the context of a statement made in an ADULT game and instantly threaten harrasment?

You remind me of the punk in 8th grade who teases the bully then runs behind the teacher...

You could of just as easily told him you dont agree with that type of language and DROPPED GROUP!

Instead you decided to talk sh*t, then threaten to pull the weight of the moderators on him...

No matter how offensive people are in this world you will need to learn NOBODY has to agree with you or even be nice to you - GET USED TO IT!!!!!!

Community Member

Quote Originally Posted by Bootlipp View Post
    To the OP/

Please look up my characters and plan on never running w/ me in this game.

You disagree with the context of a statement made in an ADULT game and instantly threaten harrasment?

You remind me of the punk in 8th grade who teases the bully then runs behind the teacher...

You could of just as easily told him you dont agree with that type of language and DROPPED GROUP!

Instead you decided to talk sh*t, then threaten to pull the weight of the moderators on him...

No matter how offensive people are in this world you will need to learn NOBODY has to agree with you or even be nice to you - GET USED TO IT!!!!!!
    Wow. What a nasty, nasty person bordering on sociopathic

a person, as a psychopathic personality, whose behavior is antisocial and who lacks a sense of moral responsibility or social conscience.
    http://dictionary.reference.com/browse/sociopathic

Community Member

Quote Originally Posted by Tarnoc View Post
    correct me if im wrong but didnt the norse vikings use to rape and pillage villages?
    Correct me if Imworng but is this the 21ST CENTURY ?

Community Member

Quote Originally Posted by Shaamis View Post
    Rape is a word you dont use right up there with the N word and the C word. just dont use it.
    "Rape" is a common English word. Your other examples are colloquial terms used to denigrate certain groups of people. So while there are times you'd use the word "rape" in a professional atmosphere, there aren't really any times you'd use the latter.

Default Yup

Quote Originally Posted by joneb1999 View Post
    Correct me if Imworng but is this the 21ST CENTURY ?
    But were all playing a medievil setting game hmmmm.....

Community Member

Quote Originally Posted by Hjarki View Post
    "Rape" is a common English word. Your other examples are colloquial terms used to denigrate certain groups of people. So while there are times you'd use the word "rape" in a professional atmosphere, there aren't really any times you'd use the latter.
    If you are eg a policeman or a judge or reading a newspaper or writing an article and referring respectfully to the case of or subjest of rape or you are not expected to not use the word. The case we are talking about is quite different.

Community Member

Quote Originally Posted by Tarnoc View Post
    But were all playing a medievil setting game hmmmm.....
    So does that mean anything goes? No matter this is a game with many people playing and the reality is you are playing with those people in the real modern day no matter thegame setting. There are social and moral responsibilities otherwise you are bordering sociopathic.

a person, as a psychopathic personality, whose behavior is antisocial and who lacks a sense of moral responsibility or social conscience.
    http://dictionary.reference.com/browse/sociopathic

Come on people how many more of you are bordering sociopaths looking for any reason to excuse the irresponsible use of the word rape?
    Last edited by joneb1999; 08-16-2010 at 07:38 AM.

Default eyes of the beholder

In the game i currently play the most Warhammmer, the term "rape face" is very popular and used quite frequently so could be worse. It is impossible to be pc because being offended is all up to the person who has been offended. You cant say "you cant be offended by that" because if they are, then you in turn have said or done something offensive. This is why i don't bother with pc, very pointless in this day and age.

Go watch some adult swim on cartoon network, have a few laughs and stop crying over pointless things. I recommend the Boondocks.
    Katet- Goodwin "I'm a cool cat but i can act just like The Grinch"

Foe of Gharet

If you feel someone is violating the code of conduct in any way, please file a harassment ticket.

Page 7 of 7 FirstFirst ... 34567