Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast

this thread reminds me of a george carlin bit.

Community Member

Default actually,

Quote Originally Posted by Bodic View Post
    ...do you really think the phrase "Rape and pillage" had anything to do with sexual conquest. The answer no they didnt have time to do that sort of thing ....
    yes they did. In fact that was part of the point. The spread of genetic materials not of that area. It was a kind of eugenics, in the eyes of the aggressors. In fact that is exactly what the "rape" in "rape and pillage" meant.
    In fact, time was more than on the side of the raiders. It would be days before any external defensive forces could arrive. So, um,
    history and definition - fail

Quote Originally Posted by dungan305 View Post
    you're All Playing A Game Where You Murder And Pillage, But Rape Is Offensive? You All Need To Grow Up... Hey Pot, Quit Calling The Kettle Black!
    +1
    Comfortably [d|n]umb

Weirdly / Annoyed of Khyber
    WanderLust EuroTrash

Founder & Build Synthesis Battlehawke's Avatar

Default Rape

If you offend the people you are with, then you are harrassing them.... but if everyone is having fun..then its all good..... If you like the group... zip your lips... if not..find a group that likes to talk about raping humanoids....

PS are you a Barbarian?

Battlehawke
    The Best Server: Gallhanda

Looking for a great guild? Check Out Our Guild: http://www.oldtimersguild.com/vb/forum.php

Looking for some good builds to play? https://www.ddo.com/forums/showthrea...for-Characters

Community Member

(Partychat) <me>: Sigh, looks like we got another 13 year old who just got his first (pubic hair?) [/pulls out his magnifying glass to take a closer look] and learned a new four letter word... Nope, thats just a knucklehair musta fell off before the quest started.

Okay, so someone (I won't say who) sent me a PM about this thread so I'll post my reply here. You should all read it.

In the OP's case, he/she certainly stood up against the fighter. But what I'm trying to say is that fighter obviously didn't use the term 'Rape' in a degratory/outright offensive manner. The term 'rape' is a very common word used nowadays. The same can be said for 'Gay'. How many times have I heard someone exclaim, 'This armor is so gay' yet not referring to the fact that the armor is homosexual but that the armor is ugly.

The OP had every right to speak up against that Fighter. But what's the point? All that fighter is going to do is ignore the OP, call him/her Francis and continue using that word in any way they like.

If you want to fight against 'Rape' telling the Fighter off is not the way to do it. I, myself, see no solution on that matter so I asked what can you do?

There is no way you can control what someone does or does not say. People will say the most offensive things (whether they realise it or not) regardless of who they might offend.

Hence, why waste precious moments of your life getting all worked up about a few terms when the most damage it could do is offend you? Why bother talking about it when there is nothing you can do? That is why I said to move on and ignore. It's not about fighting 'the bad guys and taking a stand for yourself'. It's about 'There is no point getting all worked up about a few words'.
    And yes, this applies to Hi Welcome

P.S. I do not condone in any way the use of the terms 'Rape' and 'Gay' to refer to anything other than their real meanings.
    In case you didn't already notice, my posts that end with must NEVER EVER, under any circumstances, be taken seriously.

http://forums.ddo.com/showthread.php?p=3012617

7. 08-15-2010, 11:00 AM

Sigh, there are definitely some kids playing this game. I mean seriously this is one of those words you do not use and no I do not care if it has different contexts or meanings. This word makes people uncomfortable and offends people a little sensitive training towards others after all everybody is playing this game to have fun so decreasing others fun is not cool.
    Last edited by maddmatt70; 08-15-2010 at 11:14 AM.
    Norg Fighter12/Paladin6/Monk2, Jacquiej Cleric18/Monk1/Wiz1, Rabiez Bard16/Ranger3/Cleric1, Hangover Bard L20, Boomsticks Fighter12/Monk 6/Druid 2, Grumblegut Ranger8/Paladin6/Monk6, Rabidly Rogue L20, Furiously Rogue10/Monk6/Paladin4, Snowcones Cleric 12/Ranger 6/Monk 2, Norge Barbarian 12/FVS4/Rogue4. Guild:Prophets of The New Republic Khyber.

9. 08-15-2010, 11:14 AM

Community Member

Quote Originally Posted by TigrisMorte View Post
    yes they did. In fact that was part of the point. The spread of genetic materials not of that area. It was a kind of eugenics, in the eyes of the aggressors. In fact that is exactly what the "rape" in "rape and pillage" meant.
    In fact, time was more than on the side of the raiders. It would be days before any external defensive forces could arrive. So, um,
    history and definition - fail
    That is a ridiculously modern way to view primitive human behavior. War before our modern era was a simple mechanic of the human social machine. No different then when a young lion comes and displaces an old worn out male, kills all the current cubs, and then mates with the lioness's who will enter a new breeding cycle in response to the death of the cubs.

Rape is not at all something I condone, but compared to death and murder I guess is more ones personal opinion. In the ancient wars with the death of many men in the losing side, women raped, some taken prisoner, would help keep spreading gene pools around to avoid stagnant populations of inbred degenerates.

Now days our supposedly more civilized wars are fought more for politics, and to feel special to the world. Territory is rarely siezed, and though no end of rape and murder occurs it does so as a pure crime against humanity, rather then a harsh though darwinistic function that it once was.

As for the OP. I am sorry but I have seen threads like this on games now and then over the years and its really close to a troll thread imo. If you dont like what someone says you put them on ignore and dont team with them. You dont come to the forums and start a thread that will only either bring trolls, or start a debate that is much to mature for a game kids play and who no doubt come to the forums to.

11. 08-15-2010, 11:15 AM

12. 08-15-2010, 11:16 AM

13. 08-15-2010, 11:17 AM

14. 08-15-2010, 11:18 AM

Quote Originally Posted by ahpook View Post
    So your theory is that the fighter player was a linguist who used an archaic form of the word to accurately describe his intended actions?? I doubt it.
    One thing I've come to realize is that DDO players who can't figure out how to not die in a group with 4 healers can often spout Shakespeare, rattle off pi to 27 digits and correct a random Wikki with 'off-hand' knowledge that is immediately confirmed by a search of the Library of Congress via an ISBN they also knew from memory.

Do I think they were aware of the archaic form? Perhaps, but probably not.
    Do I think they desired a carnal reference between them and a virtual reptile or that they have no qualms with the definition 'commonly attributed'? Not really any more likely.

It's obviously 'best practice' to be 'Politically Correct' so as not to violate ToS, and while it's highly unlikely I would use such language in an environment like this, I would be the first to apologize for offending someone with my speech if they brought it to my attention.

I've never had the urge to look up the word, but I've always taken it to mean 'to forcibly take without permission' and if not given a specific context was usually assumed to be the 'commonly attributed' definition.

Personally, I think we tend to spend far too much effort villainizing words. I think it does more to bury issues, diminish awareness and 'not talk about them' than prevent heinous acts.
    Remember the little people, if for no other reason than to better savor the squishy sound they make as you roll over them.

Cleric, Rogue, UMD - Because Grease Clickies Have Consequences.
    There are no bad builds, only Characters with High End-Game Mule Potential.

HL: Qualifiactions?

Tough Guy: Grape, murder, arson, and grape.

HL: You said grape twice.

Tough Guy: I like grape.

Last edited by kamimitsu; 08-15-2010 at 12:44 PM.
    Shiz - Ghallanda > Orien (Pharoah let my people go!)
    Shizmonkey (OG Grand Poo-Bah of R.O.G.U.E. 1st edition) and other various ShizAlts
    R.O.G.U.E. Proving Grounds Redux is now defunct. Check out Part Quatre

Quote Originally Posted by Adarro View Post
    Personally, I think we tend to spend far too much effort villainizing words. I think it does more to bury issues, diminish awareness and 'not talk about them' than prevent heinous acts.
    QFT

Words have no meaning except that which we attribute to them. In short words can never really be "Good" or" Bad"

That being said I think people really should be aware of what they say around mixed company your attributed meaning may not match up with random Joe Schmo Pugger's. I used to use rape, while gaming, to express my intent to forcefully take something (So yes people sometime will use Archaic definitions), until I learned of the misfortunes of someone I know and the hurt that it still causes them, even years later. Now I will not generally use that word especially in mixed company.

My advice is that if someone says something that offends you send them a NICE tell kindly asking to not say that again. If they insists continuing to be offensive, drop group and report them. Doing anything else makes you just as bad as them.
    there's one thing you never put in a trap if you're smart. If you value your continued existence. If you have any plans on seeing tomorrow then there's one thing you never, ever put in a trap.

Community Member

Talk about a need for actual content...

The villagers are restless.

When we come here and have a 4 page forum post about this ****. LMAO. Context is everything, no words are everything. On this one can we let the filter be the judge?

Let's see, ****er. Rape.

Edit: Filter does not like ****er, but it seems that rape is ok.
    bred of an Ice Flenser and a Djinni Ravensguard
    "You people are insatiable." - Tarrant.
    Quote Originally Posted by Rodasch View Post
    I do, it's true. I have a stick figure drawing with the word "Coldest" drawn above it and an arrow pointing from the name down to the drawing...

I would first like to thank chester99, because without his presence I could possibly be offended by the lesser things that others spout.

Secondly, the word "rape" is such a mildly offensive term to some of the conversations I've enjoyed hearing or taking part in over the years that I have no idea how this thread has grown. I'm not really sure there's a place where that term used in that context wouldn't be one of the more minor offensive terms one could use. One example would be the recent abbot where several pugs dropped after joining our raid group mid-goat ****ing conversation. The anonymity that the internet offers allows others to say and do things that they otherwise wouldn't do. Basically, if you're on the internet, then you have a high chance of seeing something offensive. Drop group, move on, and make it clear in your lfm's that you would like more of a pg rating.
    Dreadbringer::DreadEngine::DreadCountes::DreadWarrior::DreadMaster::PinkyDiddles::Lennal::DreadMistres::DreadMatron::DreadCherub::DreadKing::More Coming!

Quote Originally Posted by Seamonkeysix View Post
    Hi, Welcome.

PS Congrats on your first post.
    LOL!!! You, my friend, just won an Internet.
    "These fauchards have gone too far!"
    Hi Welcome

Community Member

Quote Originally Posted by Adarro View Post
    One thing I've come to realize is that DDO players who can't figure out how to not die in a group with 4 healers can often spout Shakespeare, rattle off pi to 27 digits and correct a random Wikki with 'off-hand' knowledge that is immediately confirmed by a search of the Library of Congress via an ISBN they also knew from memory.
    'cause edjmuction is so gimp.
    Please sirrah, do document these unable to grasp game mechanics but wiling to memorize the bard and PI.
    Most impotent toons I encounter are able to perform neither of the "litmus" you put forward. In fact, this game is more aptly "mastered" by the very nerds you seem to irrationally take offense at the abilities of.
    and just to finish it off,
    "thinks thou doth protest too much."

Quote Originally Posted by kamimitsu View Post

HL: Qualifiactions?

Tough Guy: Grape, murder, arson, and grape.

HL: You said grape twice.

Tough Guy: I like grape.

Nice. I was gonna search for a suitable counter pic to represent the
    'purhaps I should refwase that... can I see her wun awound a widdle bit' - joke, then realized what I'd probably find.
    Remember the little people, if for no other reason than to better savor the squishy sound they make as you roll over them.

Quote Originally Posted by cpito View Post
    I once had to explain to my daughter that "stupid" was not a bad word itself but context changed it. Calling an inanimate object stupid is one thing, calling a person stupid is another. Rape is another of those words where context is everything. Aimed at a quest? Meh, barely offensive tho a tad juvenile. Aimed at a person, especially out of anger, someone needs punched in the face. And as a woman, I have no issues with stating that some groups have left me feeling ear-raped with thier incessant chatter.
    [sarcasm]
    You sound hot.
    [/sarcasm]
    Shiz - Ghallanda > Orien (Pharoah let my people go!)
    Shizmonkey (OG Grand Poo-Bah of R.O.G.U.E. 1st edition) and other various ShizAlts
    R.O.G.U.E. Proving Grounds Redux is now defunct. Check out Part Quatre

Quote Originally Posted by TigrisMorte View Post
    'cause edjmuction is so gimp.
    Please sirrah, do document these unable to grasp game mechanics but wiling to memorize the bard and PI.
    Most impotent toons I encounter are able to perform neither of the "litmus" you put forward. In fact, this game is more aptly "mastered" by the very nerds you seem to irrationally take offense at the abilities of.
    and just to finish it off,
    "thinks thou doth protest too much."
    "No, sit down. You won’t budge until I hold a mirror up to you, where you will see what’s deep inside you."
    There's a bit more, but I think they just got my stone to a shrine...

Quote Originally Posted by AyumiAmakusa View Post
    Okay, so someone (I won't say who) sent me a PM about this thread so I'll post my reply here. You should all read it.

And yes, this applies to Hi Welcome

P.S. I do not condone in any way the use of the terms 'Rape' and 'Gay' to refer to anything other than their real meanings.
    I'm confused about your post. So are you saying that somebody new to the forums felt the need to PM you so you could intervene because they are being "Hi, Welcome" 'd because people don't agree with them?

Before I get too involved in a response, I just want to make sure that is correct.
    “No Battle Plan Survives Contact With the Enemy”

Quote Originally Posted by Seamonkeysix View Post
    I'm confused about your post. So are you saying that somebody new to the forums felt the need to PM you so you could intervene because they are being "Hi, Welcome" 'd because people don't agree with them?

Before I get too involved in a response, I just want to make sure that is correct.
    The real question is what constitutes the "real" meaning of a word?

I can only assume that they mean the original meaning or oldest meaning. Which would make the real meanings:

Gay= having or showing a merry, lively mood: gay spirits; gay music.
    Or bright or showy: gay colors; gay ornaments.

Rape= the act of seizing and carrying off by force.
    Or an act of plunder, violent seizure, or abuse; despoliation; violation: the rape of the countryside.

Given the length of time that the English language has existed the meanings of these two words that everyone is getting offended over are relatively new.

Just saying.
    there's one thing you never put in a trap if you're smart. If you value your continued existence. If you have any plans on seeing tomorrow then there's one thing you never, ever put in a trap.

Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast