Default Who stepped on the server hamster?

Looks like it's dead.

Edit - someone's done some CPR, we are back in game now after only a 2 min DC
    Last edited by sirgog; 08-08-2010 at 12:12 AM.
    I don't have a zerging problem.

I'm zerging. That's YOUR problem.

Maybe Khyber-thirty related?

(You know, about 4:30 am -5:00 am cST, when the vendors act strange?)
    Khyber:Greenberry, Jemric, Qashta, Leuk, Thurradal + many others

Not just that.

Right now, CANNOT move things around in bank or shared bank. Cannot log out.

Happening 30 mins ago. Stopped abit. Now back again.

Why do we put up with this daily? It's not just players from the USA that are customers to this game, and now TURB wants to merge EU servers?

This is just UNACCEPTABLE.

Never forget who you are, for surely the world won’t. Make it your strength. Then it can never be your weakness. Armor yourself in it, & it will never be used to hurt you.

Quote Originally Posted by skyjuice View Post
    Not just that.

Why do we put up with this daily? It's not just players from the USA that are customers to this game, and now TURB wants to merge EU servers?

If you can propose a means to properly organize and back up ALL database items/references so that in the event of catastrophic failure you don't lose things not currently equipt that doesn't take a mere 30 minutes of a 24hr day I'm sure Turbine would love to hear it.

PS: It also has to work within the framework of their engine for the game, rather than the typical abstraction.
    Chelos - TRing multiclassing support
    One of the top scorers of the 2011 and 2012 PAX EAST challenge and winner of 2 Lifetime memberships to DDO.
    "S" of Team BAS (2011)

Default solution

play during off peak times: North American AM, especially during middle of the week, and not on weekends.

at these times:
    - login is super fast - virtually no waiting at inital synch up; switching toons is blazing
    - the bank, vendors all fuction without hitching, lag
    - quests run satisfyingly smooth and fast

at peak times:
    - none of the above are a given; in fact the opposite is much more likely to occur

I would say it may be my ISP/computer but the timing is consistent; that the game runs variably (lag/no lag at same places depending on time of day) at all indicates its not my box, and I have tested this with 3 different ISPs in 4 diferent locations locally.

its on Turbine's end. new, increased revenue has so far produced servers that lag under the strain of increased load.

please get bigger hamsters.
    meh.

Default Don't know for sure.

Quote Originally Posted by Alexandryte View Post
    If you can propose a means to properly organize and back up ALL database items/references so that in the event of catastrophic failure you don't lose things not currently equipt that doesn't take a mere 30 minutes of a 24hr day I'm sure Turbine would love to hear it.

PS: It also has to work within the framework of their engine for the game, rather than the typical abstraction.

I don't work for Turbine and don't have any ideas how they have the server farm set up. I do know that if you use a RAID array you can hot swap drives to use as a backup. RAID alone isn't a substitute for backing up data. But, if you treat the RAID drives like backups, i.e, alternately remove them and replace on a daily or weekly schedule they can be! The advantage of this is that on a decent system the mirroring happens at the hardware level and simply requires someone to pull the drives at the scheduled time. This method should result in little (as in seconds) or no down time.

Now having said that I would still make backups of the system!

No, bigger hamsters eat and sleep even more, just make em zombie hamsters.

Sorry guys I'll buy a new one, hope you can scrape that squished hamster carcass off the running wheel!!!!
    Khyber - Nuic (TR), Zapn (TR), Alixer, Nuiq

The hamster has been slower since U5 when one of it's front paws was removed.

(Seriously tho these spikes and pops have been way worse over the last few months.)
    “If at first you don't succeed, keep on sucking till you do succeed.”

Quote Originally Posted by Eladiun View Post
    The hamster has been slower since U5 when one of it's front paws was removed.
    Yes but that front stump gets a chance at proc'ing an offhand attack now.
    Khyber:Greenberry, Jemric, Qashta, Leuk, Thurradal + many others

Community Member

Got to love all the wannabe experts and I know I'll regret posting but...

Depending how this is set up and the overhead of each logged in player it could be built as a single machine or a cluster of front app servers talking to a cluster of DB servers. Unless Turbine releases technical specs for the hardware used for a single instance though, everything is simply speculation.

Either way, the technology exists to run a service and back it up with zero impact on the working instance (banks and other organisations with vital services run like that). However this costs money, unless all you f2p people start splashing the cash around, I doubt turbine will feel the need.
    They could probably restructure things to mitigate the hit but again, it'd cost > $0 and it would probably need downtime.

Ratzap

The hamster is not dead or wounded its distracted...
    Quote Originally Posted by Tolero View Post
    *pokes the patch with a stick* get out there you,
    Quote Originally Posted by Tolero View Post
    We were pretty up front that the twf update was going to be a nerf regardless of lag or not.
    Quote Originally Posted by MadFloyd View Post
    Um, I'm almost afraid to ask, but exactly just what is 'sneak humping'?

Quote Originally Posted by Alexandryte View Post

I can't suggest a means that doesnt cause this, but I can suggest something a bit more customer friendly - rotate the schedule, so that it doesn't always hit every server at the same time, rotate it so that it doesnt' always impact the same timezones. You do have to publish that schedule so that people can plan for it, and since they don't do that now when its all at the same time on all servers I don't hold out much hope. But you can't claim to be about to run a 'global' game, and then punish everyone outside of North America. That would be like... like... like having a national baseball competition and calling it a World Series or something.
    Quote Originally Posted by Vargouille View Post
    The best of the best DDO players generally overperform when given a real challenge
    Quote Originally Posted by Amundir View Post
    My words are great. Even out of context.

Read only

Quote Originally Posted by skyjuice View Post
    Not just that.

lol wonder what will become of people who havent logged in in 2 weeks trying to play.

Quote Originally Posted by Rydin_Dirtay View Post
    Yes but that front stump gets a chance at proc'ing an offhand attack now.
    lmao!! +1 for that.

Some of us wants (including me, preciousss) to know the juicy details of the infrastructure so if it falls into our fields of expertise then we could suggest ways to fix this. If I could help I would and settle for payment in TPs . I'm sure there are others in this boat too. There have to be a large number of flavors of nerd on these forums, after all!

Whadda I gotta do? Sign an NDA? Done it before...
    Goe ahed... korekt mah spelin'.

Yep.

Its the time again.

Bank (and shared) not responding.
    Vendors refusing to work
    Lighting mail seemed to be short circuited.
    Logging out does nothing.

Never forget who you are, for surely the world won’t. Make it your strength. Then it can never be your weakness. Armor yourself in it, & it will never be used to hurt you.