Community Member

Default Level 4 pvp tournament - rules?

The Doom Brigade is setting up a level 4 pvp tournament on Cannith. We'll do the first one in the guild only, but if there is interest we might hold an open one, too. And yes, we are still a casual lite RP guild so I don't expect it to get too serious =)

Anyway we need some rules. It will be 1 vs 1, likely 5 minutes matches in a league or tournament system.
    1. We thought level 4 to allow making veteran chars just for the occasion, and it sounds like pvp could be sort of balanced at that stage.
    2. No magic items allowed at all. Not even the veteran starter things (since all can't make veterans). That means you can only use anything you can buy from Hammer and Chain in the harbor, and spell components. Not sure about allowing exotic weapons - likely they are not overpowered so could be allowed? And yes, mages can go buy a non magical robe somewhere if they don't want to represent in rags =)
    EDIT: this concerns also all consumables (apart from spell ingredients)
    3. No healing/repairing allowed. Aid, false life or raising con etc is fine. Do you think there is a reason for this rule or would healing characters be on par with others?

Any comments on existing rules or something that would be needed to balance things? Has anyone organized an event like this?
    Last edited by voidholder; 07-27-2010 at 06:37 AM.

Reality is for those who can't imagine anything better.

I don't think it will be balanced for all classes when you restrict class abilites like self-healing/self-repairing. It's like saying the barb may not use rage, the fighter is not allowed to use (improved)-trip and so on.

So any class inherent ability/spell should be allowed.

Another rule perhaps: Potions are not allowed (if not already covered by the no-magical-items rule).

Community Member

You are right that this rule might make some classes not work so well, even though I'd still think a cleric could work for the offensive casting capability... Have to keep in mind that this is for newly created characters so people are not forced to create a character they feel is gimped. My only concern with allowing healing is that it makes warforged arcanes even better than they otherwise are so that would be all we'd see.

Think it would be a better rule just to disallow repair spells?

Potions and other consumables are also forbidden, yes. Forgot to spesify that.

To me, it seems best to just run the tourney in its purest form (use rule 1 and 2 for totally basic lvl 4 characters), and see how it goes. If clerics, or repair bots dominate, create a rule that nerfs them.

It would be a shame to limit options if they aren't dominating. And if they do dominate... give people a chance to have their fun with their favorite type of toon (once).

Of course, this idea mainly works if this is the type of thing that gets repeated. If there is never a second tourney, you may want to institute a no-healing rule.

You should do one of these with twink characters. No holds barred only restriction is lvl 4. That would inspire some true creativity, without putting the gear requirements too far out there for most ppl to compete.

Community Member

Good points. If it gets repeated it would make sense to start with less limits and then address any dominance that we encounter...

I thought the twink idea would be cool, at least for an open event for everyone. No need to balance that between new players like we sort of want to do with the guild event, and also no possibility to cheat in that format.

Do you think twink gear keeps it balanced between different classes? I guess resistance gear will help against control spells, but I am a bit worried about spell damage (superior potency etc). Of course slight unbalance does not matter, but it would be nasty if all the fights would end in one-shotting the other guy. But I guess you can try to wear your cold resistance gear and laugh at those Niacs'.

*starts keeping an eye on level 4 pvp gear*

Make a level 1 build where you can use magic items this will also give you 4 action points that will make or break the character. Yes you will see more Humans as level 1 duelist's as the fact the bonus feat. I have one on Khyber that can take out level range 1-4 my record is a lvl 6 barb.

so give the option level 1 toon with 4 action points and magic items or a lvl 4 with basic equipment
    Robopit-16 Arti, 2 Paladin, 2 Rogue
    Moltenrock-12 FvS, 2 Paladin, 6 Wizard, 8 Epic
    Caizel-20 Bard, 8 Epic
    Doresain-Depends so don't List
    Alignment Test Shows me as Neutral Evil (True Evil) HA!
    Officer of Lava Divers