Page 13 of 26 FirstFirst ... 39101112131415161723 ... LastLast
    Community Member

You know what - I was going to say something about PR nightmare and the idea of booting real life heroes for reknown but what's the point

/shakes head again
    Last edited by stockwizard5; 07-23-2010 at 08:16 AM.
    Characters: Maels
    Guild: Maelstrom
    Server: Thelanis
    http://maelstrom-ddo.guildportal.com

Well after yesterdays 200 renown for 5 hours of grinding (3 shrouds, a reaver, and a bunch of lowbie stuff at or near level) I can take the weekend off knowing my absence wont significantly effect my guild's renown totals ...

Tormenting Role Players, Perma-Death players, and Turbine Mods since February 2006!
    Clandestine * Magestic * HughJaas * Chaloopa * LaBamba * Fervent * DezNuda * Heinous * DeLaScorcha * Waxxoff

mad, here are the problems with your formula

renown should be Quest Level + 1 to accomodate TRs. because of the lack of xp for TRs from level 17-20, TRs are pretty much forced to do quests over level. they have to maximize the number of quests for the level 18 and 19 crazy XP hump by doing lower level quests from level 10 on.

veterans - by starting at level 4, there are a ton of level 1 and 2 quests they are going to get minimal reknown for, even if they run them on hard to begin with.

level 20s -

good things - previously the easiest quest to farm renown from was the shroud. it was so easy to average 500-750 renown on it. and the shroud farmers would just pile it up (heck we have one in our guild and i think he's responsible for 1/2 of our renown). the knock to level 20's will lower that, but i think it needs to be in a different way. what i would have liked to see was a guaranteed renown reward in the END CHEST of quests with your formula raising lowering the type of renown you got

Just ran my 20th lvl TR thru a Elite Rainbow run - pulled close to 1000 renown.

Its working great for me and a number of other guildies. Another 20th lvl guildies pulled aroudn 2k from soloing epics.

Personally I am very pleased with the changes and have no complaints at all.

Great Job Devs on balancing this out better!
    Last edited by dwelsh99; 07-23-2010 at 11:06 AM.

Community Member bradleyforrest's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by MadFloyd View Post
    Just an update for everyone:

We are planning to make a change tomorrow that should address the low number of renown drops from chests.

That won't be the end of it. We'll monitor over the weekend and most likely effect another change on Monday. Other than the very obvious exploit situations, renown was supposed to flow more generously and it's now apparent that it's not working as intended.

Thanks again for all the input, not to mention your patience and support.
    So, it's tomorrow. Can you give us more info on this yet?

I can assure you, we have no such intentions.

A little more info for you: the length of the quest affects your chances for renown in the end reward. Unless you're 5 levels over the quest, you should have a minimum of 50% chance to see renown and it goes up from there to 100% for a very long quest.

If I'm not mistaken, the Inspired quests are short, meaning you should only see renown half the time.
    Maybe this numbers are not correct. I did Tear of Dhakaan on hard (Very long - CR 8) with a character level 8, got no renown as reward.

Quote Originally Posted by bradleyforrest View Post
    So, it's tomorrow. Can you give us more info on this yet?
    I will shortly. I'm waiting for confirmation.

Quote Originally Posted by BruxaDo71 View Post
    Maybe this numbers are not correct. I did Tear of Dhakaan on hard (Very long - CR 8) with a character level 8, got no renown as reward.
    End Rewards aren't working properly at this time. I'll provide more info on this soon.

Quote Originally Posted by Zaodan View Post
    MadFloyd,
    what if the quest is higher level than you are?

i.e. I'm level 5, quest is level 6. Does it go 24%? I mean, it **** well better if you are creating a system of Risk vs Reward here. (and you are).

In fact, I would suggest that its +8% for every level you're UNDER the quest.
    Any comment?

MadFloyd,

i.e. I'm level 5, quest is level 6. Does it go 24%? I mean, it **** well better if you are creating a system of Risk vs Reward here. (and you are).

Any comment?
    In a thread where MadFloyd has gone out of his way to solicit feedback and provide us with hard numbers about the system, I would recommend a more respectful tone than "it **** well better." They've repeatedly told us that questions and feedback offered in a respectful manner are much more likely to get Dev replies than being rude.

Quote Originally Posted by RTN View Post
    In a thread where MadFloyd has gone out of his way to solicit feedback and provide us with hard numbers about the system, I would recommend a more respectful tone than "it **** well better." They've repeatedly told us that questions and feedback offered in a respectful manner are much more likely to get Dev replies than being rude.
    Agree to this

MadFloyd,

Dont agree to this, numbers are too high the way they are.

Not sure where this is at but turned in a completed quest and got a heroic deeds on my level 12 for the legend of two toed tobias (3BC.) We ran it on hard early this morning but hadn't turned it in.

Community Member

Level 20 ranger ran
    Shroud normal (0 from chests 76 from kills)
    Hound hard (0 from chests 19 from kills)
    Reavers Fate on elite (0 from Chests 0 from Kills)
    VOD Hard (0 from chests 57 from kills)

Rerolled a level 4 champion 2ranger 2fighter hired a 3 cleric merc.
    Durks got a Secret hard(4 heroic deads and 19 from kills )
    Durks got a Secret Elite (3 heroic deeds 0 from kills)
    Durks got a secret Elite (4 heroic deeds 38 from kills)
    Durks got a secret elite ( 3 heroic deeds 0 from kills)
    Averaged 9 mins per run.

So in 40ish mins on a char that i just created and did nothing special with i got 14 heroic deeds.

And in 4 hours of raids i got 152 renown. (oh btw with my small guild bonus my heroic deeds are worth more than 152. I believe they are 190)

So i really dont mind the way you have the quests atm...no my ranger shouldnt get a ton doing level 4 quests as a level 20. However with RAIDS there needs to be no level hit. For the amount of time they take to assemble and run there should be some renown reward. Finding durks secret shouldnt make me more known than stopping the reavers dooms day device!

Quote Originally Posted by dwelsh99 View Post
    Dont agree to this, numbers are too high the way they are.
    You make no sense.

How can you agree to reduce the drop rate if the character is over the level of the quest, but not increase it if the character is under the level of the quest?

Community Member

MadFloyd,

No it doesn't

Quote Originally Posted by smatt View Post
    No it doesn't
    Be nice if it would, then I'd roll up a new char and run korthos and harbor on hard/elite. :P Usually don't level till I hit some of the more difficult harbor quests.

I will shortly. I'm waiting for confirmation.
    Soon (tm)
    Oh, that's easy. I didn't farm them. I just cheated. -Meghan
    Quote Originally Posted by 404error View Post
    lol, I didnt give it a QA pass.

It would be nice if it scaled for the number of people in the quest too, to help offset the "too high level" penalties.

This would be based off the quest scaling we already have, so you could take your level 20 and solo ingredient runs in the vale. If you soloed it on hard, that would give a bump up for the chances at reknown. Those percentages would be adjusted for level of quest, level of toon and number of people.

Just a thought.
    Snowleopard, Locomotiv Breath, Aqualung, Thickas a Brick, WitchsPromis, Part of the Machine, Coseyed Mary
    No whining, unless you're serving really good cheese. Otherwise, put a cork in it.

The Hatchery
    2014 DDO Players Council

Quote Originally Posted by Gornin View Post
    It would be nice if it scaled for the number of people in the quest too, to help offset the "too high level" penalties.

This would be based off the quest scaling we already have, so you could take your level 20 and solo ingredient runs in the vale. If you soloed it on hard, that would give a bump up for the chances at reknown. Those percentages would be adjusted for level of quest, level of toon and number of people.

Just a thought.
    I considered this yesterday and thought it would just encourage solo play too much. It is supposed to be a group experience.

I suppose I'm also against dungeon scaling in general.

Quote Originally Posted by Dcurd View Post
    The talk in lamania made it sound like renown was also supposed to scale lower if you were doing the quest above level. The system is fairer and makes more sense this way, and when the update came and this apprently wasn't the case people raged.

Now it looks like doing quests above level is netting no or little renown, and people are raging.

*sighs*

From the sounds of it, a level 20 speed running Irestone or quick korthos quests won't get bucketloads of renown now. This is good! Instead you are going to have to actually challenge youself in level appropriate quests? Also good.

It looks like low level characters may still get renown faster due to their quests being shorter, but this takes a huge amount of grind out of the system by removing trivial methods of gaining renown. Yay.

Again though, from Lamania it sounds like this was always how it was supposed to work, they just fixed it.

Any reports of if renown drops like sweet sweet candy from epic yet? That oft repeated request getting in could be pretty sweet.
    I can only speak from personal experience, but I run a decent number of epics, and I'm pulling less. And it's impossible to be over-leveled in an epic.

Page 13 of 26 FirstFirst ... 39101112131415161723 ... LastLast