Question Satellite connection question(s)

okay was reading Satellite Connection Help Here - 1st Draft

So wasn't sure to reply there or just stat a new thread
    Is the game Client side or Server side ?

Something that was not mentioned in the thread, was that a players Upload speed is kinda like the servers Download speed. So depending the amount of info that needs to go between client and server, could that be relevant to lag or Latency ?

I have at most times a very good DL speed, but my UL is like UGH the equivalent of dial up. The link to test speeds in the Thread only tracks your DL speed and not Upload, unless I use one's that are not for Sat speed testing.
    my speeds using the method suggested and the link shows my DL average is 1293 Kbps
    going to one of the other speed test to see my Download/Upload it's more like 1400 / 70 Kbps

going back to my recorded speed test, my average for upload is about 76 Kbps( that is average of last 6 months)
    So if the Game is indeed Client side, then I am basically playing at the 76Kbps speed ?
    Since my Upload is going to be the Servers best Upload speed

Unfortunately, the answer is - it's both.

On Turbine's end is the server that maintains the "instance" that you are in,
    including where you and all the objects in the world are, and the state (HP, buffs, etc)
    of those objects.

On your end is the client that shows you graphically the representation of what the
    server state is, but then the client is also responsible to streaming to the server all
    the actions you are taking: movement, attacking, spellcasting, and interacting with the
    environment (open doors, pick up treasure bag, etc).

So, you need both upload and download. But - it's packet transit time that is more
    important than bandwidth. This is where I think you're probably having the most
    trouble - it can take a half second to a second-and-a-half for the current state of
    the game to come down from the satellite part of the connection.

So is that one way of saying a satellite connection has a greater chance of Packet loss ?

Yeah I always knew about the added latency that comes with Sat connections.

okay, thanks for the reply, I just wanted to make sure where the game was, if it was on my comp and just sending information or if the game was server side. but then again if it was server, the down load may not have been the size(s) that they are

Xionanx

The quickest way to find out would be to simply DL the game and try it, its not like it will cost you anything. However if you asking because you dont currently have Satellite internet and you want to know if it'll be compatible then here's some info.

I used to work for DirecPC (A Satellite ISP) and while the DL speeds were amazing the latency was horrible. Attempting any "live" communication with other people over the network was a horrible experience.

While the service "may" have improved over the years I still cant help but stick to this as a general rule of thumb as an online gamer in terms of latency:

Cable > DSL > 4g > 3g > Satellite

However you "may" find that the latency of 4G, 3G, and Satellite makes some games downright unplayable. I know that the last time I attempted to play an MMO over a 3G signal I got so frustrated after 5 minutes that I just called my cell provider and canceled the contract.

There are certain markets where new technology is being provided, fibre and I believe Dallas TX was experimenting with Internet of Powerlines at one point, but I cant tell you much about that.

My point being, if you looking for amazing DL speeds because you want to DL large files quickly.. go with satellite. But otherwise steer clear for gaming.

Quote Originally Posted by XaatXuun View Post
    So is that one way of saying a satellite connection has a greater chance of Packet loss ?
    Well, since it's TCP, you never actually see packet loss, because of auto
    retransmit - but that just doubles the lag.

Quote Originally Posted by XaatXuun View Post
    okay, thanks for the reply, I just wanted to make sure where the game was, if it was on my comp and just sending information or if the game was server side. but then again if it was server, the down load may not have been the size(s) that they are
    Most of the size of the download is the graphics and sound files that are used to
    render the game. That's why there are two downloads - "normal" and "high-def",
    and the high-def one is larger by another 1Gb. The "guts" of the game is
    ddo_client.exe, which isn't that large.

Quote Originally Posted by Xionanx View Post
    The quickest way to find out would be to simply DL the game and try it, its not like it will cost you anything. However if you asking because you dont currently have Satellite internet and you want to know if it'll be compatible then here's some info.

I used to work for DirecPC (A Satellite ISP) and while the DL speeds were amazing the latency was horrible. Attempting any "live" communication with other people over the network was a horrible experience.

While the service "may" have improved over the years I still cant help but stick to this as a general rule of thumb as an online gamer in terms of latency:

Cable > DSL > 4g > 3g > Satellite

However you "may" find that the latency of 4G, 3G, and Satellite makes some games downright unplayable. I know that the last time I attempted to play an MMO over a 3G signal I got so frustrated after 5 minutes that I just called my cell provider and canceled the contract.

There are certain markets where new technology is being provided, fibre and I believe Dallas TX was experimenting with Internet of Powerlines at one point, but I cant tell you much about that.

My point being, if you looking for amazing DL speeds because you want to DL large files quickly.. go with satellite. But otherwise steer clear for gaming.
    where I am right now choices are Dial up or Satellite, and I have been using Sat for the last 2.5 years. So I am not shopping
    Just these were questions I should have asked before or have just thought of them.

Quote Originally Posted by ArgentMage View Post
    Most of the size of the download is the graphics and sound files that are used to
    render the game. That's why there are two downloads - "normal" and "high-def",
    and the high-def one is larger by another 1Gb. The "guts" of the game is
    ddo_client.exe, which isn't that large.
    ArgentMage that is Amazing, you answered a question I have been wanting to ask, apparently you musta seen it was something I was also wanted to ask in my last comment, without me actually asking

============

Just something I have noticed, since using a Sat connection, after an while of a few updates, I do get more lag on top of the latency. I can only suspect what could be causing it more, and that suspension has to do with the Games (sorry I can not think of the word I want to use for some reason) security anti hack design, for some reason every time they add or make an change to what ever they are using, I rubber band more.
    Now I can pretty much say that the lag is due to my equipment, it's old and is a mix of minimum and recommended specs. I do miss now days playing with high settings and can honestly say I hate low settings, but as long as the game is still enjoyable I can handle low and mid settings.
    But the rubberbanding in the past has made me look for other games not latency or even lag (due to my equipment).
    Why I suspect it is that, is because when I play a game in CB and do not have such added to the game, I never rubberband, it's always after they add that extra security
    I am not sure how that correlates with a Sat connection, but it was not something I had problems when I was on Fiber Optic