Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by Disavowed View Post
    Funny you brought this up. A buddy of mine has been playing for 6 months now. So he's pretty comfortable with most mid to lower level quests and leads some pugs thru them every now & then.

The other day he asked me. What do you do when you're in a group and the leader has no voice chat and won't type out any directions for what he wants the party to do. He goes on to say how the party was mainly newbies and needed direction. People were dying left and right and the leader still wouldn't take charge.

So he posed the same question. Do I take over and ensure we complete or just keep letting everyone die after I keep bringing their stones to the shrine?

My opinion is if the leader fails to provide communication and leadership someone needs to step in and provide it. It doesn't have to be me but somebody better. Assuming leadership is needed. I've been in Shroud runs with all vets and the only direction given by anyone was the kill order in part 2.

If the leader is new and I can tell he doesn't know the quest very well. I will offer advice if he's doing something a way that can be done easier, faster, and with less resources, but in the end I will still do it his way. I would hope others would do the same for me. I may know how to get a quest done, but here may be a better way to do it and I'd like to know it.

But there is no reason for someone to start yelling and screaming over mic. Unless it's me and the Beergirl yelling and screaming at each other and one of us forgot to mute our mic (not like that's ever happened before lol).
    Come on! It's fun to yell, especially when your guildies are doing things on purpose to make you, lol. I do tend to get aggitated when peope don't listen ... Like yesterday, a guy popped the chests while waiting for a DCed person after we said in party and vice chat not to..
    Boldrin//Grandmaster Flash//Cartaras
    Plucky // Whipping //Malachus
    Juxta//Pigsticker//Stealyour// Internet
    Proud member of Loreseekers

Quote Originally Posted by Boldrin View Post
    Come on! It's fun to yell, especially when your guildies are doing things on purpose to make you, lol. I do tend to get aggitated when peope don't listen ... Like yesterday, a guy popped the chests while waiting for a DCed person after we said in party and vice chat not to..
    Hah! I knew it was you Boldrin.

Quote Originally Posted by Boldrin View Post
    LOL I remember that. I was wishing I'd fraps'd that rant after homeboy popped the chest. (Both actually)

Poor DC'd guy got jipped out of both Shroud chests in P4.
    TR'd: Mty | Mtp | Mts | Mtc | Mtn | Mtz
    Others: Mtf | Mtx | Mtb | Mtd | Mth | Mtk
    Proud officer of Elite Raiders
    www.EliteRaiders.net

Quote Originally Posted by Disavowed View Post
    Funny you brought this up. A buddy of mine has been playing for 6 months now. So he's pretty comfortable with most mid to lower level quests and leads some pugs thru them every now & then.

The other day he asked me. What do you do when you're in a group and the leader has no voice chat and won't type out any directions for what he wants the party to do. He goes on to say how the party was mainly newbies and needed direction. People were dying left and right and the leader still wouldn't take charge.

So he posed the same question. Do I take over and ensure we complete or just keep letting everyone die after I keep bringing their stones to the shrine?

My opinion is if the leader fails to provide communication and leadership someone needs to step in and provide it. It doesn't have to be me but somebody better. Assuming leadership is needed. I've been in Shroud runs with all vets and the only direction given by anyone was the kill order in part 2.

If the leader is new and I can tell he doesn't know the quest very well. I will offer advice if he's doing something a way that can be done easier, faster, and with less resources, but in the end I will still do it his way. I would hope others would do the same for me. I may know how to get a quest done, but here may be a better way to do it and I'd like to know it.

But there is no reason for someone to start yelling and screaming over mic. Unless it's me and the Beergirl yelling and screaming at each other and one of us forgot to mute our mic (not like that's ever happened before lol).
    Btw - One thing to remember is that a lot of guilds are using vent for coordination. In ER runs 99.9% of the conversation is occurring in vent, with the last .1% to give the non-ER folks the directions (or chat with non-ER buddies). In your shroud example, really the only directions that need to be given in a vet group is P2 coordination.

So while it may not look like anyone is leading if you're in the pug spot in a guild run, chances are there's a lot happening behind the scenes.
    www.EliteRaiders.net

2014 DDO Players Council
    Community Member

Quote Originally Posted by Mts View Post
    Btw - One thing to remember is that a lot of guilds are using vent for coordination. In ER runs 99.9% of the conversation is occurring in vent, with the last .1% to give the non-ER folks the directions (or chat with non-ER buddies). In your shroud example, really the only directions that need to be given in a vet group is P2 coordination.

So while it may not look like anyone is leading if you're in the pug spot in a guild run, chances are there's a lot happening behind the scenes.
    Hmmm. Yes. I find this quite isolating sometimes when I run with a group and it's clear from the silences that another conversation is going on that I am not privy too. Oh well.
    ~ Crimson Eagles of Khyber ~
    ~ Melianny ~ Melizzic ~ Melton ~ Meliambit ~ Mellant ~ Melimenace ~ Melangst ~

I find the silence good... It helps my crazy side grow in power! Soon it will bubble out in a giant explosion of GREASE!

But yeah sometimes silence is a little disconerning.

Sometimes I will put up an LFM for something I want to run but am not entirely familiar with. Before we start, I explain even though I have the star, I may not necessarily be the best leader, and ask if someone else would like to lead. Sometimes someone will step up. Sometimes everyone is in the same boat as me, occasionally leading to epic fail (which is actually usually pretty fun).

But Khyber people are jerks. You either learn to live with it or you ***** out and move to Argo or Thelanis. I hear they give you a cupcake just for creating a character there. This is Khyber. Make your own **** cupcakes.

2014 DDO Players Council
    Community Member

Quote Originally Posted by samthedagger View Post
    But Khyber people are jerks. You either learn to live with it or you ***** out and move to Argo or Thelanis. I hear they give you a cupcake just for creating a character there. This is Khyber. Make your own **** cupcakes.

lol

good thing i can cook.

pink.

with sprinkles.
    ~ Crimson Eagles of Khyber ~
    ~ Melianny ~ Melizzic ~ Melton ~ Meliambit ~ Mellant ~ Melimenace ~ Melangst ~

Talking

My 2 Cents:

When I join a group: The person with the star is the leader and I have no problem following if they are at least competent. VC will be used unless someone doesn't have their "ears" on. If they don't know the quest and ask for help, I'll speak up. If they don't ask for help, I'll start doing things on my own and see if they bother to follow suit. Mic abusers or the annoyingly loud will usually just be squelched. If they're completely ******** AND beligerent, I'll wait until they die and ask for a res, grab their stone, place it just out of range for a shrine, and/or drop group. Other than that, head down, weapons drawn, and eyes open.

When I post an LFM: I'll try to be as clear as possible in the description. VC will be used unless someone doesn't have their "ears" on. New people will get a basic rundown, unless I'm speed-running, in which case they'll get a highly abridged version of the quest and hope they keep up. Retards, griefers, and the hopeless will either be dropped or will not receive tells that I'm recalling/reforming.
    RainbowBrite Assassination Squad: Ehmbyr - 20Monk, Vyoleht - 18Rang/2Fight, Jaiyhd - 20Cler, Tohpahz - 6Rang/3Rog, Obsydean 4Barb/2Fight, Sahfyre - 4 FvS

I believe when on vent you sometimes forget to inform puggers of the situation, thus not having proper communication. And therefore the pugger should not be held accountable for any "wrong" actions. Everyone needs to be in the loop when they join a group. Or atleast informed that leader is in a vent chat and will give direction as needed or if the pugger has a question to let the lead or vet know.

And I also believe it's IMPORTANT that everyone read group chat because there are some people who just don't have a mic and can only type. It's nice to feel like you're being payed attention to even if you don't have a mic. Sometimes I've got so much background noise (ie. having a 1 yr old & husband) it's hard to hear voice chat, so chances are I won't hear you ask for a certain buff..so don't get mad and be like ... UGH.. can't I GET a GH PLEASEEEEE?!!?!?!?!... over your mic... type it out and ask nicely lol.

Quote Originally Posted by MeliCat View Post
    Hmmm. Yes. I find this quite isolating sometimes when I run with a group and it's clear from the silences that another conversation is going on that I am not privy too. Oh well.
    lol - Trust me, you don't want to listen in on these conversations. We're a wacky bunch.

Quote Originally Posted by Nexx View Post
    I believe when on vent you sometimes forget to inform puggers of the situation, thus not having proper communication. And therefore the pugger should not be held accountable for any "wrong" actions. Everyone needs to be in the loop when they join a group. Or atleast informed that leader is in a vent chat and will give direction as needed or if the pugger has a question to let the lead or vet know.

And I also believe it's IMPORTANT that everyone read group chat because there are some people who just don't have a mic and can only type. It's nice to feel like you're being payed attention to even if you don't have a mic. Sometimes I've got so much background noise (ie. having a 1 yr old & husband) it's hard to hear voice chat, so chances are I won't hear you ask for a certain buff..so don't get mad and be like ... UGH.. can't I GET a GH PLEASEEEEE?!!?!?!?!... over your mic... type it out and ask nicely lol.
    Agreed on both counts.

Some folks also have their Vent and Voicechat keys bound right next to each other, so sometimes the party will hear a one sided conversation (which, incidentally, is fun as hell to take advantage of). Nothing like asking random questions in vent to be answered in party chat - resulting in the party wondering WteeF *cough*BOLDRIN*cough* or *cough*AGEAN*cough* are talking about.

Vent: What's your favorite type of jelly?
    B/A Party: Blueberry!
    Vent: Do you prefer missionary?
    B/A Party: I'm down with the dirty sanchez!

lol
    www.EliteRaiders.net

Some folks also have their Vent and Voicechat keys bound right next to each other, so sometimes the party will hear a one sided conversation (which, incidentally, is fun as hell to take advantage of).
    One of my first epic dragon runs was with ER. I was paying attention, trying not to fall off stuff and hoping that no one noticed I snuck into the raid. I was running like heck every time fire was called, and then *ding*. Fire was called over vent. /facepalm

Quote Originally Posted by samthedagger View Post
    Sometimes I will put up an LFM for something I want to run but am not entirely familiar with. Before we start, I explain even though I have the star, I may not necessarily be the best leader, and ask if someone else would like to lead. Sometimes someone will step up. Sometimes everyone is in the same boat as me, occasionally leading to epic fail (which is actually usually pretty fun).

Are you still whining like a little girl with a skinned knee? Or a metrosexual who ran out of hair gel before going to the club? It seems to me if you dont like Khyber dont play here. Its that simple. Oh and dont post either.
    Toons are in a constant state of flux. Khyber server.

Quote Originally Posted by Trillea View Post
    Maybe your forum name should be lord_of_halfling_rage then...

Community Member

i listen to leader very often. I suggest improvements only if asked or raid is goin to fail because of extremely bad decision. I like good mood in parties. When im in party with let's say starters - it's not good to complain about stuff. Let them see what they are doin wrong, they will be happy if they find it for themselves. Just have good time.
    Sometimes there's raid leader, who never lead raid, never been to raid he's leading, and he is super uber inteligent genius about anything. Sometimes there's 1/2 of raid of 1st-timers, and half of them dont even bother to turn on their audio, or went afk/leave without reason. If threre are good players in party (u can see them fast) they 'know' and are not mad about it. I often talk to them and tune the plan. It's game - not drama

Depends on the group. If the leader is doing a good job I let them lead. If the group is doing the right things without being told, I keep quiet. But if the group needs direction and the leader isnt providing it, Ill take over.

Default There's a snake in my boot ...

I let the Sheriff (star) run the show. His/her LFM, his/her show. I'll make comments if I feel it is beneficial to the group and will occasionally say "there is an easier/better way", but I'll usually do that in a tell to the sheriff.

I remember learing the puzzle back in the Titan/DDoor days from someone in TA and they had it so well laid out and simplified that I loved it ... then they changed the mechanics ... oh well. For a couple months people thought I was a genius in there.

I'm actually starting to enjoy running some new alts in lowbie PUGs to see how some of these guys are figuring things out.

Course once we are on elite it can get pretty ugly ...

lol - Trust me, you don't want to listen in on these conversations. We're a wacky bunch.

Yeah....those conversations...are something else

Agreed on both counts.

Some folks also have their Vent and Voicechat keys bound right next to each other, so sometimes the party will hear a one sided conversation (which, incidentally, is fun as hell to take advantage of). Nothing like asking random questions in vent to be answered in party chat - resulting in the party wondering WteeF *cough*BOLDRIN*cough* or *cough*AGEAN*cough* are talking about.

Vent: What's your favorite type of jelly?
    B/A Party: Blueberry!
    Vent: Do you prefer missionary?
    B/A Party: I'm down with the dirty sanchez!

lol
    Lol.. /facepalm

Talking

By the way, I am liking all of the responses from our members. I think I'll continue to ask questions like these when they pop up in my head.

Community Member

Personally, I let the leader lead. I rarely join a group, because most of the LFM listed are quest I don't want to do.

What I have noticed, especially at lower levels, is that I will form a group, and people will join. I always indicate that we are doing it fast and furious. Its free xp for the newer players, and I know I can solo it. It almost never fails that some idiot hotshot will start doing things his way. I will get admonished for not slowing down, and doing whatever this particular person wants to do. Of course, it always leads to them dying or someone dying. Usually I am silent, since I've been through this scenario hundreds of times. Sometimes if they get too uppity I will remind them I formed the group, and they choose not to follow the leader.

At higher levels its a lot better, because the idiot hotshots are slowly weeded out. Maybe thats just f2p content, though.

No, they're everywhere regardless of f2p content. It just takes a competent person to help out a group. Incompetence leads to failure.

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast