Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

yeah it can be a good learning experiance to get turned down, "no i dont want you in my raid because you dont have heavy fort" whoops let me put my mino's legens back on. Ive made that mistake a couple of times gone into quests with my haggle gear on by mistake, then hey why are things hitting me? they can crit past heavy fort what the? Such a noob mistake but i think i could be playing for years and still make absent minded stuff ups like that.

I much prefer a decline over autodecline because the group is full.

Then again the autodeclines tend to happen when I am midway through another quest or raid as I do not wait long after applying. Sometimes after I have finished running the same quest or raid that I had applied to
    Occasionally playing on Cannith

Llyren, Kelda and some others.

Default Just for the record. . .

Quote Originally Posted by Boldrin View Post
    I generally tell them they can't join because I MyDDOed them and they stink.
    Boldrin was notorious for doing this BEFORE there was a MyDDO.
    The victorious strategist only seeks battle after the victory has been won, whereas he who is destined to defeat first fights and afterwards looks for victory. - Sun Tzu

Personally, I don't consider ppl who post an lfm leaders just because they did so. Unless they prove they know the quest, know tips, tricks, helpful suggestions, and help new players get acquainted to the quest/raid (yes, there is no difference between quests, raids and epic runs O_o OMG!!!1! - basically we've all been frst timers, we all learned, and we all play by the higher standard we reached, no big deal, anyone can do that).

Usually, lfm posters are just ppl who want help to do a quest. If the "party leader" can't guide through the quest, doesn't bear with first timers, doesn't take responsibility for deciding what/when/how, but tries to command, lead and order ppl around, then we have the typical case of veteran-megalomania: a prick who thinks he's better than other players because he's been a pathetic slug on a chair in front of a pc for far longer than they have. Otherwise He's just an idiot (the two problems might overlap).

Do years of playing the game make you better than others? No. Does having great equipment? No. Does being an ******* at any given occasion? No. Of course there are bad builds, crappy builds, hell, I've seen builds who would make Gygax die, if he still lived. But those are exeptions, and using myDDO as a way to determine whether someone is good enough for your party just doesn't work.

Raids are considered a world of their own, by some players who like to think they're special. BUT. Everyone can do raids, if properly guided. If you can't be bothered with that, don't put up an lfm, just ask your friends or guildies, or explicitly write that the spots are reserved. Con 20 is not a criterion to choose players for a raid.But that's almost forgivable, in some cases; on the other hand, if you require GS weps to run VoN on Epic, than you are really a bad player and should play WoW, or get a life. One extreme or the other.

Quote Originally Posted by TheKeg View Post
    That is respectable as long as they're not silly requirements. None of my characters have any of the sought-after named gear because I refuse to run a quest over and over for it. They can hold their own though in most cases. Of course, I am just now getting into the "endgame" content so we'll see how they start doing now.
    I don't have rediculous requirements. I tend to run a lot of elite and epic runs a lot, so I do have Some requirements. For epics, I'm pickier than for anything else, generally some familiarity with the quest in question, moderate hp, but quest knowledge for epic is often the most valuable asset.

I really don't care what gear people have with 1 exception: if it's a hard/elite VoD, Shroud or ToD, dr breakers are a must. I'm not going to have low dps just because 4 or 5 people doing 15/hit LESS damage just to fill a group. This will in most cases lead to the use of more resources than should be expected for these types of runs.

I'll take some one new to a quest on hard or elite. I simply make sure to communicate a lot more on those runs.
    Bjornegar, Bloodtrail, Chronogear, Clarkk, Flied, Nugente, Soulgear, Ssmooth, Throrin
    PESTILENCE

Quote Originally Posted by Sweyn View Post
    I use it, and i am glad i do.
    - A level 20 rogue with 15 Strength and 300 HP applied for my DQ2 epic. I'm glad i had myddo
    - A level 20 cleric with 200 HP and 1600 SP applied for my VoN6 epic. I'm glad i had myddo
    I think using myDDO is elitism, yet I support that if you are a leader of a party it is up to you who gets to come along. But, I find 2 things that make you the loser here that warrants a comment:
    1) You don't specify in your LFM what you want, but complain about people you reject.
    So, you are mad someone asks you why you decline when you never list the reason?

2) You indicate that a 20th level rogue can make you fail DQ2.
    So, the level 20 rogue would make you fail epic DQ2? Did he run into the lava too early and it wiped the party?

You can't run DQ2 EPIC with a group of 11? It isn't like that rogue was your healer as your second example shows. You just let him rez at the end.

The biggest wipes happen when the person running the character is a complete loser. Or, bad leadership.
    Oh, that's easy. I didn't farm them. I just cheated. -Meghan
    Quote Originally Posted by 404error View Post
    lol, I didnt give it a QA pass.

Quote Originally Posted by Dark_Helmet View Post
    I think using myDDO is elitism, yet I support that if you are a leader of a party it is up to you who gets to come along. But, I find 2 things that make you the loser here that warrants a comment:
    1) You don't specify in your LFM what you want, but complain about people you reject.
    So, you are mad someone asks you why you decline when you never list the reason?

2) You indicate that a 20th level rogue can make you fail DQ2.
    So, the level 20 rogue would make you fail epic DQ2? Did he run into the lava too early and it wiped the party?

You can't run DQ2 EPIC with a group of 11? It isn't like that rogue was your healer as your second example shows. You just let him rez at the end.

The biggest wipes happen when the person running the character is a complete loser. Or, bad leadership.
    When did i ever say i was mad when someone asks why I declined? I get irritated when they send me constant tells trying to prove how uber they are, or tell me how i just lost out. Maybe you need to reread the OP, because you are not getting the idea.

And, when did i ever say a 20th rogue can make me fail DQ? I simply said i'm glad i have myddo since that rogue prolly wouldn't have helped. Again, you misunderstood, or you are just jumping to conclusions and assuming things.

And i am fully capable of running with a group of 11, but why would i let someone just come along, stay dead the whole quest (Pike) then get free loot?
    Last edited by Sweyn; 07-02-2010 at 06:46 PM.
    Khyber
    Swez Sowan
    Sowen Sown Sowyn

It honestly isn't that hard or time consuming to limit the classes in the lfm. I personally don't like it when people don't limit them. I know that sometimes you get a lot of tells and can be hard to manage it all but it only takes about 5 seconds to fix the classes needed.

A simple decline is also nice. I can't stand it when people don't decline you when they don't need you. It does cause you to wait to see if you get accepted and wastes time of the person that was just wanting to help you complete the quest.

Now that I have been playing the game for a while now I know when I am not needed in a group and simply won't try and join. But it does confuse the newer players who don't know the "typical" party makeup for certain raids & quests.
    www.rogue-saints.org

Alts: Gambill - Gambino - Gambina - Gambillar - Gamb - Gambii

Default Wow.

Quote Originally Posted by Gambill View Post
    It honestly isn't that hard or time consuming to limit the classes in the lfm. I personally don't like it when people don't limit them. I know that sometimes you get a lot of tells and can be hard to manage it all but it only takes about 5 seconds to fix the classes needed.
    I'd like to register my disagreement with this. In my experience, anyone limiting dps roles to Fighters/Barbarians doesn't have much of a clue about how to play the game. I've had the best runs with really strange party makeups.
    The victorious strategist only seeks battle after the victory has been won, whereas he who is destined to defeat first fights and afterwards looks for victory. - Sun Tzu

Quote Originally Posted by Mithran View Post
    I'd like to register my disagreement with this. In my experience, anyone limiting dps roles to Fighters/Barbarians doesn't have much of a clue about how to play the game. I've had the best runs with really strange party makeups.
    I think Gambill was referring to lfm's that have all classes selected, but when you click join, it turns out they want either DPS or a caster. Asking for DPS and limiting to fighter/barbarian is silly yes.
    Proud Leader & official Gimp of Crimson Eagles on Khyber
    Angryscrews Wiz 20 - Felgor Barb 20 - Brelgor Fighter 18/1/1 - Flavoursome TR1 Sorc 15 - Splatsplat DoS 18/2
    Quote Originally Posted by Auran82 View Post
    Numot talks enough for like 10 people. So yeah, 13 people in that channel.

Community Member

Default Qft

Quote Originally Posted by thrudh View Post
    you Should Qualify This With "when Trying To Join A Raid Or Elite\epic End-game Quest"...

I'm Sure You Guys Don't Screen For Every 6 Man Quest, Right?? Right??? Because That Just Tells Me You Suck Pretty Bad...

For Plain Old 6-man Quests, I Take The First 5 That Apply. And We Always Finish. With No Drama. And.... It's Actually More Fun That Way... A Quest Plays A Bit Different Without A Cleric Or Without A Caster, Or With Only One (or No) Melee...

Much More Interesting To Do A Quest For The 50th Time With An Odd-ball Group Than To Screen For A Perfect Group And Do It The Exact Same Way You Always Do It...

(and Whoever Failed A Shroud Because You Let In One Piker... You Should Be Embarrassed To Tell People That)
    +1

Community Member

Default gain +1

Quote Originally Posted by maddmatt70 View Post
    Oh I put the OP in the middle of the pack when it comes to screening out lfmers from joining the lfm - there are far worse people in regards to this. Some people out there have an lfm that sits up for a longer timeframe then it takes to complete the quest/raid in question haha. The point I am making is the forgotten time i.e. time waiting for the close to perfect group to join the lfm that some people out there believe in. If a close to 100% completion can be achieved and the group takes less time to fill then more power to that quest/raid leader. From a pure power gamer perspective its all about quests/raid completion per hour anyway. How many can be completed in a specific timeframe?
    Oops have to spread more around but good point Matt

...but why would i let someone just come along, stay dead the whole quest (Pike) then get free loot?
    Dude. Shut up already before I slap you with a lawsuit for restraint of free trade!
    That's my whole M.O. and you are gonna ruin it for me!!!!!

Community Member

As a question to Ssmooth, as they seem to know more about myddo than most people here. I was just over there looking at some of your toons and I got a bit, confounded?

Where is the option to look through all of their inventory and maybe even their bank space to make sure you see all of the gear they own? I've noticed when looking at myself the gear is sometimes out of date on my main toons. I wouldn't want to be rejected from someone who takes his stuff so seriously and wants to win. So, at the risk of being redundant, where is the option to view inventory? Or is it a feature I need to check mark as 'ok for public viewing'?

I keep getting confused on those **** things. **** radials and check boxes.

When did i ever say i was mad when someone asks why I declined? I get irritated when they send me constant tells trying to prove how uber they are, or tell me how i just lost out. Maybe you need to reread the OP, because you are not getting the idea.

And, when did i ever say a 20th rogue can make me fail DQ? I simply said i'm glad i have myddo since that rogue prolly wouldn't have helped. Again, you misunderstood, or you are just jumping to conclusions and assuming things.

And i am fully capable of running with a group of 11, but why would i let someone just come along, stay dead the whole quest (Pike) then get free loot?
    If you don't tell them why they are rejected, then of course they will send tells saying what they have.

That is my point: even though it is likely they won't contribute the most - you don't know if they could be a good player who is competent. You have 12 and can go or you wait to fill that spot without the rogue. I would just go right away and not wait.

I just find when you ask Axer-like questions before allowing someone to join is irritating and I rarely respond past your first question and just run something else.
    Oh, that's easy. I didn't farm them. I just cheated. -Meghan
    Quote Originally Posted by 404error View Post
    lol, I didnt give it a QA pass.

Quote Originally Posted by Svartelric View Post
    But those are exeptions, and using myDDO as a way to determine whether someone is good enough for your party just doesn't work.
    I use myDDO not to determine if someone is good enough to run with, but to determine if someone is a 100% chance to lose 10% flawless victory xp bonus at the first encounter.

I also use it to have a quick look at suspicious party "leaders" looking for people.

A lvl 10 Fighter with 6 con still wearing all Korthos items, a +1 padded armor and 2 +1 Longswords at 12 dex looking for people to run STROMCLEAV ELITE!1!! NO NO0Bz! ?

No thank you.

I should mention that my currently highest lvl char is lvl 11, so i slowly get out of the lvl range where such players can survive.

Quote Originally Posted by Xionanx View Post
    Personally, I dont hit "decline" usually, I just let em languish in the list until the party is full so they get a nice little "auto declined because party full" message. Solves the "why did you decline me questions".

:
    Yep sometimes I hit a lfm and if they dont accept I put up my own, fill it and am about 2/3 done with the quest when a message pops up that the other group is full.

Must suck to take that long to fill a lfm to have people who clicked it finishing it in a new group they made about the same time as the orgional is getting started.
    Quote Originally Posted by Tolero View Post
    *pokes the patch with a stick* get out there you,
    We were pretty up front that the twf update was going to be a nerf regardless of lag or not.
    Quote Originally Posted by MadFloyd View Post
    Um, I'm almost afraid to ask, but exactly just what is 'sneak humping'?

Quote Originally Posted by Dark_Helmet View Post

I just find when you ask Axer-like questions before allowing someone to join is irritating and I rarely respond past your first question and just run something else.
    Yep if you are running something on normal and they ask if you have x y z and this and that ...you don't want to be in their group because clearly they think that normal quest is hard which is a scary thought.
    *pokes the patch with a stick* get out there you,
    We were pretty up front that the twf update was going to be a nerf regardless of lag or not.
    Quote Originally Posted by MadFloyd View Post
    Um, I'm almost afraid to ask, but exactly just what is 'sneak humping'?

Community Member

Quote Originally Posted by Spoprockel View Post
    I also use it to have a quick look at suspicious party "leaders" looking for people.

A lvl 10 Fighter with 6 con still wearing all Korthos items, a +1 padded armor and 2 +1 Longswords at 12 dex looking for people to run STROMCLEAV ELITE!1!! NO NO0Bz! ?
    Exactly. I get a lot of invites/tells out of the blue being a cleric so I do the exact same reverse lookup Leveling my bard up this week past was a reminder of the worst of it though. No healer? No Rogue? Same level quest? Oh yeah, stick that bad boy on elite and lets parrrrtttey... <bail out> Or taming the flames, they insist on hard but the wizard hasn't prepped any ice spells. Ok, we all died, load your ice spells in the tavern and go back. What? Still no ice spells? You sure you actually wanted to complete this?

Back on topic though, I have no problem with people using MyDDO to check out potential 'zone in, two steps forward and *ding*' types but the player is the important part. And yes, someone calling themselves a leader should do so and will need to show patience and some decency to first timers.

Ratzap

2014 DDO Players Council
    Community Member

the only qualification i will put on a shroud run is 'melees PST weap DR' and send tells to those who just hit the lfm without doing so. so it's led to some good discussions on what weaps to DR the boss in pt 4&5 with and whether or not people have them. no need to use myDDO with just that question really. i generally ask the polite question of FvSes if they're happy to heal after they join.

an amusing TOD run - 2 bards, 3 casters, 4 rogues, monks, and i think maybe a token pally or or fighter, and then the FvS, a friend of the leader, gets asked if he wants to heal in this raid. reply back is something along the lines of 'nty gimped party with 3 casters 4 rogues". lol. it fills. we raid. smoothest quickest run i've had to date.
    ~ Crimson Eagles of Khyber ~
    ~ Melianny ~ Melizzic ~ Melton ~ Meliambit ~ Mellant ~ Melimenace ~ Melangst ~

Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast