Thread: Stacking DR?

Community Member

Default Stacking DR?

I had thought that the only DR that could stack in this game was the WF and Lord of blades combo.
    But I recently grouped with a person that clammed to have an AC of 63 and a DR score of 42.

Would somebody here be willing to clear this up for me? Does Tower shield DR stack with other DR? I am slightly confused at this point.

Thank you for your help.

Community Member

myddo the character name to gleam more info on that claim

Community Member

Quote Originally Posted by Dlusin View Post
    I had thought that the only DR that could stack in this game was the WF and Lord of blades combo.
    But I recently grouped with a person that clammed to have an AC of 63 and a DR score of 42.

Would somebody here be willing to clear this up for me? Does Tower shield DR stack with other DR? I am slightly confused at this point.

Thank you for your help.
    You can get 15 DR from WF FVS. with added DR from spending your precious feats on it, then you add in your shield blocking DR on top of that. however, the best you can get I think is around a 30. 42? maybe he's thinking thatt a DoD stacks with other DR's and it doesnt.

Doesn't the Docent of Defiance (or is it the Titan Docent) that grants a DR of 30 for a time, then go into active blocking to make it more?

Community Member

DR in DDO is seperated into two DR types; Active DR and Passive DR. Active and Passive DR stacks with each other.

Active DR is applied whenever you block (use the shift key). The source of the DR is from blocking DR which can be calculated from here: http://ddowiki.com/page/Active_blocking

AFAIK, the highest you can attain from active DR is 21 (against melee) as a dwarf.

Passive DR is DR obtained via items, enhancements or feats (class or otherwise). Unless explicitly stated, DR from different sources do not stack. As such, a WF barbarian with DR from barbarian class feat (DR/-) will not stack with the DR from the WF race enhancement (DR/addy). In a case where both DR applies, the one with the highest value DR applies. The highest I know you can attain from passive DR is from a WF capstone FvS where the resultant DR is 24 DR/adamantine.

Theoretically it should be possible to have up to 42 DR as a WF FvS but it would take up all 7 feats.

edit: Doc of defiance gives DR 20/- i think...if it procs.
    Last edited by kelemvelor; 06-22-2010 at 03:01 PM.

Active Melee DR = (BAB / 2) + 2 + Shield DR rating + Shield Mastery Feats + Shield Mastery Enhancements

So a 20th level fighter with both Shield mastery feats is:

(20/2) + 2 + 15 (Levik's Defender) + 6 (+ 3 if full Dwarf Enhancments) = 33 (36)

With the Stalwart Defender line you get a total of +6 (+2 per tier) so a total of 39 if you are tier III SD.

This is your Active (blocking) DR. Combine this with the 6/- Passive DR that SDs get and you can have a DR of 45 when you are shield blocking.

There are probably things with WFs that change some of these numbers OP but the 63 AC with 42 DR is entirely possible.
    Luck is what happens when preparation meets opportunity. -Seneca the Elder
    Iryklaunavan, Karaskkesir, Desideratum, Gregorii, Jhasmyne, Vis
    Ubique eo, invenio me esse ducem hominium.

Community Member

Wonderfull, Thank you to everybody who broke it down for me. I would +1 you guys if I could.

Edit: Just checking to make sure I am getting this.

Passive DR from say Lord of blades DR 10/Addy (if I remember it right), and active from that hound shield (leviks?)15/- would stack even if they have differant requirements to bypass them?
    Last edited by Dlusin; 06-22-2010 at 06:00 PM.

Sorry for the long delay...

Yes, even though they are different DR types (one x/- and one x/adamant) the passive DR will apply to your active blocking DR as long as the attack itself does not bypass the passive portion.

So from your example if the originating attack was from an adamant weapon or a golem then your passive DR would not get applied to your active blocking DR.
    Luck is what happens when preparation meets opportunity. -Seneca the Elder
    Iryklaunavan, Karaskkesir, Desideratum, Gregorii, Jhasmyne, Vis
    Ubique eo, invenio me esse ducem hominium.

Quote Originally Posted by Dlusin View Post
    Wonderfull, Thank you to everybody who broke it down for me. I would +1 you guys if I could.
    Gotcha covered.
    The bird of Hermes is my name, Eating my wings to keep me tame.
    Thelanis
    Toons: Diclonius, Sempresno, Slitmuno, Slitmdos, Slitmtres, Skyfe, Calcatrix, Marcosias, Sumona, Tarokian, Etc.

Im pretty sure that active DR is added after your existing sources of DR
    -For example

a WF palladin with angelskin would have base of 5/evil 2/-

Add on an active DR of (for example) 5, that gives you an additional STACKING 5/- DR on top of that
    So if you are hit by an evil addy sword, its DR 7, your base 2 +5 from blocking
    But a mundane blow would be reduced by 10, 5 from /evil dr and 5 from active blocking

...So sayeth the Funk...
    A member of the "Feed the trolls cookies" society