Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default Regarding "lore lol"

Something I've been thinking about recently. It is not meant to be a rant, and I apologize if it comes off sounding that way, but...

Is it really too much to ask for people to have a general grasp and understanding of the world in which their characters live and breathe?

I'm not talking about advanced information, like knowing what the days of the week are called (hint: it's not Monday, Tuesday, etc.). But rather basic, fundamental things, like:

- Warforged are not robots. They are "living constructs".
    --- (slightly deeper knowledge) They are made of a material called Livewood, which actually contains lots of moisture, just like a living plant or tree, so Warforged don't spontaneously combust.

- The continent we play on is Xen'drik, which is largely unexplored.

- The planet is called Eberron, named after the dragon Eberron the Dragon Between.

- The planet has 12 moons, each one named for a month of the year (hint: also not January, February, etc)

- The three progenitor dragons that created the world are Siberys the Dragon Above, Eberron the Dragon Between, and Khyber the Dragon Below.
    ---(Their history is actually rather cool).

- The end of The Last War was 2 years ago.

This is just the tip of the iceberg. The lore and history of Eberron is vast and incredibly rich. Even if you don't roleplay, or care about story like I do, I think you would still do well to learn even just a few tidbits of it.
    Clayne Fourstring - Jack of All Trades, Riddlemaster - Sarlona
    Esson the Sacred Heart - Physician, Healer - Sarlona
    ~~The Paladin Code: Death before dishonor . . . especially when there is a cleric in the group.

Lore-Keepers Lounge should be enough to turn a lore-newbie into a well educated (lore-wise) DDO player.

If most of the stuff there is too long to read, i would strongly suggest taking a look at the first Lore-Keepers Lounge submission - great overview of the world of Eberron
    DDO News, articles and guides - DDO-Daily.com
    With occasional contests with Turbine Points as rewards
    Your daily dose of DDO

Quote Originally Posted by Teldurn View Post
    --- (slightly deeper knowledge) They are made of a material called Livewood, which actually contains lots of moisture, just like a living plant or tree, so Warforged don't spontaneously combust.
    Wait, Warforged aren't made of sugar and spice and everything nice?

Now I'm really confused.

Knorgh (triple triple completionist) Currently 12 Wizard/6 Ranger/2 Monk

You mean I'm not a toaster ?

I think the lore is kool, but what does it hurt you if someone doesn't care?

I have played D&D using the original books and I know very little, nor care very much, about the Eberron setting.I'm sure I'm not the only one in this boat...

I mean, I have some basic knowledge but unless it's in game somewhere on a note that I care about reading I'm not going to know it. The only people that would know more than the basics are the ones that actually focused on the setting which probably is a small population.
    There are many D&D veterans in DDO, but this setting is a bit obscure, so I wouldn't expect much from the general population. Some people don't even know the basic 3.5 rule set, so it's asking a bit much to know the background of the setting unless it's blatantly stated in game.

The Eberron setting seems to pretty much be Final Fantasy melded with Forgotten Realms. The game is a lot of fun, but honestly I'd prefer it set in The World of Greyhawk or the Forgotten Realms.

My halfling misses his sharptooth
    Halflings Rule and never irritate anyone that can cast dispell

Living tissue melded with non-organic material intended to augment or replace function. You're right, Warforged aren't robots. They're cyborgs. Thanks for the clarification. I'll be sure to get it right next time.

- The planet has 12 moons, each one named for a month of the year (hint: also not January, February, etc)
    There were once 13 moons just like there were 13 dragon marked houses. The world has a strong 12 + 1 lost missing theme.
    970 sp and counting
    Help Fix Ranged Combat for Everyone. Come help complete the DDO Wiki

Quote Originally Posted by Towrn View Post
    Wait, Warforged aren't made of sugar and spice and everything nice?

Now I'm really confused.

That's the PowerPuff Girls. Warforged were originally created by Mojo-Jojo while the PowerPuff Girls were created by the Professor.

Community Member Symar-FangofLloth's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Turial View Post
    There were once 13 moons just like there were 13 dragon marked houses. The world has a strong 12 + 1 lost missing theme.
    There currently are 13 houses. Only 12 marks though. One was lost, and for good reason.
    Former Xoriat-er. Embrace the Madness.

That's because Eberron is actually Battlestar Galactica. That's why we call Warforged Toasters - because they're Cylons, not because they're made of metal.

Very true. Thanks for mentioning it
    Clayne Fourstring - Jack of All Trades, Riddlemaster - Sarlona
    Esson the Sacred Heart - Physician, Healer - Sarlona
    ~~The Paladin Code: Death before dishonor . . . especially when there is a cleric in the group.

Quote Originally Posted by Symar-FangofLloth View Post
    There currently are 13 houses. Only 12 marks though. One was lost, and for good reason.
    oh, come on, the mark of death wasn't that bad..........
    Adumbrate, Sienn, Selket, Synaxis, Ognwe-, Halpin, Sivva, Bigstick, Jemus, Colichemarde
    Quote Originally Posted by Gunga
    His pant muscles aren't as big as ours...

Google search "Grand History of Eberron"

It's a free PDF compiled from many different sources, and it's awesome.
    My Videos Shadow Mage (ok, it's a build now)
    A forum post should be like a skirt - long enough to cover the subject material, but short enough to keep things interesting.
    Britches and Hose kidnapped my dog and are forcing him to farm Shroud ingredients.

One of the "funniest" things about Eberron lore that I found out was about the Lord of Blades. I got curious when reading the description of the Paladin WF Advanced belief, because I thought "this doesnt look like something a Lawful Good paladin would believe".

Guess what, the Lord of Blades is a messianic figure that gather wfs and preaches that hey came to Eberron as the perfect beeings so they should cleanse the land of the living creatures!

He controls a Cannith forge where he creates new WFs, but ones slightly "changed" from their normal behaviour.

(Ah, yes, I liked Eberron history too )
    "When a mind does not know itself, it is flawed. When a mind is flawed, the man is flawed. When a man is flawed, that which he touches is flawed. It is said that what a flawed man sees, his hands make broken."
    Dak'kon.

Stormreach Mentor
    Founder

Quote Originally Posted by PopeJual View Post
    That's because Eberron is actually Battlestar Galactica. That's why we call Warforged Toasters - because they're Cylons, not because they're made of metal.
    +1 to you sir. If it were up to me, I'd declare you King of the Thread.
    Quote Originally Posted by Keeper View Post
    Hi welcome!
    (I wonder if I'll get banned for this?)

Is it really too much to ask for people to have a general grasp and understanding of the world in which their characters live and breathe?

I'm not talking about advanced information, like knowing what the days of the week are called (hint: it's not Monday, Tuesday, etc.). But rather basic, fundamental things, like:

Of course, they're not robots, these ignorant people, eesh. Here, let me illustrate what the human-hating warforged is:

Devs: Thanks for making Druids available to VIPs without the pack. This more than anything, has made me want to buy the pack.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast