Default Win 7, DX11 enabled, still kills Aero/goes to 'basic'

Tried to make the title an effective summary.

I've seen a couple of threads with search, but none with a reply from Turbine, and none from within the last year or so.

I'm running Win7-64, with an Nvidia GTX285. For DDO, I have DX11 support turned on in graphics options. When I start the game however, after the server is selected, "The color scheme has been changed to Windows Basic" and the Aero is disabled.
    If DDO is now a Dx11 title, why on earth is that happening? It's happened since Vista came out, as far as I know, but yeesh. Is there a way to have both the newer graphics support and keep my desktop environment?

Between that, and ending up with a black screen (in the game, while the game is still running, because if I'm willing to be totally blind I can try running away... and I'm know it's not in-game blindness because it happens in town and when wearing a blindness immunity item). That problem is like the graphics driver crashes and restarts, but the game client never re-syncs with the new graphics driver process. This one, like the Aero issue, has happened for me since I moved to Win7-64, across MANY revisions of Nvidia drivers.
    --
    Fraethir Briarflame, Trick (and others)

(http://www.theoldergamers.com)
    (though I'm not currently guilded)
    Ghallanda

Running the game as administrator (under properties/compatibility for the shortcut) - will not disable aero when you run it. However you will now be greeted with a UAC prompt and screen blackout every time you start it up - googling for a fix for UAC prompts on administrator requiring programs led me to using a custom shortcut pointing to a windows task with admin privileges and that largely eliminates all these issues.

having same issue man. I just built my first computer put win 7 64 bit on here ran the game just fine until i installed battlefield 2 bad company. I guess when it went from direct x 10 to the direct x 11 it must of messed with something b/c i now have the same message u have pop up when trying to log in. Little message in bottom right corner pops up really fast and says something about windows basic color sceme and takes me back to log in screen. Would luv to play again but have been avoiding hunting down the problem b/c of lazyness. Cant find any fix and the other guys instructions in here are fairly hard to understand for me 8-(
    Co-Founder of LOOT on Cannith: Wall- 20Ftr/12barb, Walkin Shrine 20clr/20sorc/20fvs Completionist, Warsong Hagglesbane 13th Hmn Brd

Community Member

GTX285 is not a DX11 card afaik the only nvidia dx 11 cards are the uber expensive 470 and 480