Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    Community Member

Default Build for My Son

My 5 year old son plays and likes to do three things. Swing a sword first, shoot a bow sometimes and open locks/traps. He does quite a few quests solo like Delera's 1 or redwillow and others...

He is a 28pt build elf and I sorta let him pick how he wanted to go.

Level 1 rogue
    Level 2-6 as Ranger
    Level 7 as fighter.
    Stats
    feats TWF, Bastard Swords(he likes the looks of them), Dodge , Toughness

he has been maxing search, disable and openlock with UMD thrown in.

Problem is this how many pts does he need in open lock? I hear only 8? to get the roll he needs to open just about any lock.

question is where would you go with this?
    level 8 Ranger to get Tempest1
    Level 9 another level of rogue?
    Level 10-20(doubt he will ever make 20) fighter for kensai I/II?
    so in the end 12/6/2 fighter/ranger/rogue?
    Last edited by Musashiclaw; 05-25-2010 at 10:53 AM.
    Fist and Faith
    Musashi DragonClaw
    Thelanis Warclaws, DragonClaws, MusashiCLAW, Warsclaw
    www.C-L-A-W.org

You plan at the end isn't too bad. Another you could consider:

Your build is not too far off from the very capable one that's been around - "The Exploiter". Ranger 18/Rogue1/Monk1. See this thread -

http://forums.ddo.com/showthread.php?t=168687

Might be worth skimming through all the pages there to get a sense of the capabilities and various offshoots that are discussed.

With a fighter lvl instead of a monk lvl you get an extra feat and more weapons but lose the monk ac benefits of the build above. Probably still pretty viable.

The skill check for traps and locks will increase as quest difficulty (for one quest) or quest lvl (looking from 1 - 20) increase. Don't stop at 8.

Build Constructionist unbongwah's Avatar

Your 5-yr-old is a better soloer than me. This makes me feel very inadequate.

Anyway, a good build for your son to use is tihocan's Tempest: rogue 1 / fighter 1 / ranger 18. Rogue 2 / ranger 6 / fighter 12 is a very good DPS build, but he won't have the skill points necessary to maintain his trap skills, if he enjoys doing that. Unfortunately, he won't be able to take Tempest when he hits ranger 6, as he doesn't have all of the pre-req feats (Mobility & Spring Attack). He can either do a feat swap or wait a while to get it. [Normally I would suggest dropping BS and switching to scimitars instead, but how do you tell a 5-year-old to give up his favorite toys "for his own good?" ] Oh wait, do you mean he took TWF as a chosen feat? If so, you can swap that out; rangers get it for free at lvl 2.

Open Lock - as well as Disable and Search - will depend a lot more on your equipment than your ranks of it. A lot of builds claim to get by with very few ranks of Open. This guide is a bit out of date but may help. OTOH, max ranks of UMD is practically a de facto requirement for any rogue-splashed build, as once you get UMD high enough, you can use any wand or scroll - and almost any equippable item - in the game.

Community Member LoveNeverFails's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by unbongwah View Post
    Your 5-yr-old is a better soloer than me. This makes me feel very inadequate.
    Ditto, I'm slightly embarrassed...lol

Only advice i can offer is to keep putting points into DD and if you can afford it, open lock. Quests do of course get a bit harder as you move up in level. I doubt it'd even be possibly to open the locks in Tears with only an 8. I could be wrong but...wouldn't want to have three stones in my backpack when i find that out... lol

Make sure you hit the break points. From the sound of things, he would be best served going Fighter 12 / Ranger 6 / Rogue 2 and getting Kensai II and Tempest I.

The question would be whether or not he can pull off the feats required for it.

As for rogue skills, 8 open lock would require all sorts of skill boosts and items to back it up. Id want more points then that personally.

Here is a build to look at: http://forums.ddo.com/showthread.php?t=246372

Keep in mind you arent going to see a lot of 12 fighter builds with trap skills because fighters lack the skill points necessary.

With that in mind, perhaps going 18 ranger / 1 rogue / 1 fighter would be a better choice. That way you have the skill points required for trap skills.

Here is a link to a build thread for that layout: http://forums.ddo.com/showthread.php?t=235859
    Last edited by ArichValtrahn; 05-25-2010 at 11:36 AM.

Most important build advice I can give you for your son:

Turn off General Chat/Trade/Advice before you let him see anything.

Community Member

I am pretty surprised how well he plays and when we do delera's together and someone in group(he only groups when I am with him) and they rush ahead and the doors close he looks over at me and says.. why did they rush ahead.. they shouldnt rush ahead!
    And chat is turned off as well as his default outgoing is set to part so if he does happen to try to type only party see it and I have explained they are playing with a 5 year old.

Thank you for all the advice. I think I have spent more in game cash getting him items than my toons...

He is F2P even though, he does extra chores to get cash so I will buy him passes to delera's or he can save it up to buy a pack.
    Fist and Faith
    Musashi DragonClaw
    Thelanis Warclaws, DragonClaws, MusashiCLAW, Warsclaw
    www.C-L-A-W.org

Build Constructionist unbongwah's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Musashiclaw View Post
    I am pretty surprised how well he plays and when we do delera's together and someone in group(he only groups when I am with him) and they rush ahead and the doors close he looks over at me and says.. why did they rush ahead.. they shouldnt rush ahead!
    LOL - "from the mouths of babes" indeed.
    Quote Originally Posted by LoveNeverFails View Post
    Only advice i can offer is to keep putting points into DD and if you can afford it, open lock.
    Don't forget Search - can't disarm what you can't find!

While a lot of the posters have offered very solid class breakdowns, I think they missed one key point--your son like to do traps.

A 12 ftr, 6 ranger, 2 rogue will be able to do some things, but not really what your son wants as far as traps. It can be a pretty sold melee dps toon.

A 18 ranger/1rogue/1 ftr is pretty solid and with the right build layout will be able to do everything you said he enjoys. This one offers some spells for buffs and some self healing. This one should (based on your skill point distribution) allow him to to any trap.

A 13 rogue/6ranger/1 ftr will also allow your son to do everything you said he likes. This one should (based on your skill point distribution) allow him to to any trap. This one also allows for more skill points and easier distribution to some added skills he might like. It also allows for improved evasion, nice (tempest 10% increase) attack speed. The one fighter is nice for the added free feat.
    Last edited by Mangloid; 05-25-2010 at 03:48 PM.
    Quote Originally Posted by Keeper View Post
    Hi welcome!

(I wonder if I'll get banned for this?)

Smile

Quote Originally Posted by Mangloid View Post
    While a lot of the posters have offered very solid class breakdowns, I think they missed one key point--your son like to do traps.

A 12 ftr, 6 ranger, 2 rogue will be able to do some things, but not really what your son wants as far as traps. It can be a pretty sold melee dps toon.

A 18 ranger/1rogue/1 ftr is pretty solid and with the right build layout will be able to do everything you said he enjoys. This one offers some spells for buffs and some self healing. This one should (based on your skill point distribution) allow him to to any trap.

A 13 rogue/6ranger/1 ftr will also allow your son to do everything you said he likes. This one should (based on your skill point distribution) allow him to to any trap. This one also allows for more skill points and easier distribution to some added skills he might like. It also allows for improved evasion, nice (tempest 10% increase) attack speed. The one fighter is nice for the added free feat.
    If he did not solo quite as much I would really incourage the 13 rogue route. But as he solos a good bit I have to lean towards the 18 ranger route. +1 to Mangaloid for laying it out like he did.
    Kyber:
    Home of Stamper the Seeker 20 dwarven barbarian, Jox Everheal 17 human cleric, Justwanta Burn 20 WF sorc, and Lubejob Fleshie Killer WF 10 wizzey/2 rog.